ID:96667

BYOND Version:478
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.3
Applies to:Dream Maker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Dream maker Becomes non responsive and freezes when Compiling Depends on the size of the rsc

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Have game thta is 44mb or bigger
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Dream maker Contiues to compile game
Actual Results:
Dream maker freezes and becomes non responsive and never responds until it is ended and reopened
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Random
In other games?
yes
In other user accounts?
yes
On other computers?
no

When does the problem NOT occur?
Randomly

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Unsure been using XP until christmas of 2009 it only affects windows 7 that i can tell
Workarounds:
None
We'll need a demo to see this for ourselves. The statement "high resource games" is very ambiguous.
Tom wrote:
We'll need a demo to see this for ourselves. The statement "high resource games" is very ambiguous.

i can send you the source im having the most trouble with maybe that will help

Sure, go ahead and upload the files to your member space (as hidden), and we will take a look.
Tom wrote:
Sure, go ahead and upload the files to your member space (as hidden), and we will take a look.

i cant the source is 73.6mb
Yikes.

Well, you might just be running out of memory. Are you certain that this worked on v.465? Why don't you download that build to a separate directory (you don't have to install) and run DM from there:
http://www.byond.com/download/build/465.1067_byond.zip

If that works better than 468, we at least have something to go on...
Tom wrote:
Yikes.

Well, you might just be running out of memory. Are you certain that this worked on v.465? Why don't you download that build to a separate directory (you don't have to install) and run DM from there:

456.1048 works but its still slwo im still trying others
Chumble93 wrote:
Tom wrote:
Yikes.

Ok im down to version 443 and its still doing the same thing it just seems to load a bit faster in the earlier version i wouldnt think it would be my comp i have 4gb of ram and a 2.3 dual core processor but idk it could be
Chumble93 wrote:
Chumble93 wrote:
Tom wrote:
Yikes.

Ok im down to version 443 and its still doing the same thing it just seems to load a bit faster in the earlier version i wouldnt think it would be my comp i have 4gb of ram and a 2.3 dual core processor but idk it could be

i did a little more research andasked my freinds if they been having trouble with it it seems the only ones having trouble with slow dream maker is vista/7 users
This happens to me somewhat on my "high resource" games. However, adding new files doesn't seem to effect it much, and DM starts responding again after it finishes compiling, which only takes about a minute at most (which is still way too long IMO).
It also speeds up the compile time by a pretty noticeable amount if you don't include the map, but doesn't really fix the problem.
And DM in general takes a while longer to compile the very first time (each session), or if you leave the project sitting there for a while.
It also takes a rather long time just to save games (which figures in to compile time) if you make any type of change to a large/detailed map.
That is a good suggestion of Falacy's to try compiling without the map to see if that is the bottleneck. I suspect that the process of map generation is non-optimal, and it's a long TODO item on the list to improve that (along with making maps more usable at runtime within the games).
Tom wrote:
That is a good suggestion of Falacy's to try compiling without the map to see if that is the bottleneck. I suspect that the process of map generation is non-optimal, and it's a long TODO item on the list to improve that (along with making maps more usable at runtime within the games).

That dont fix the problem it still becomes non responsive and it wont compile at all and i have been working with other games and it does the same thing just not as much as this one source i work with it alwasy compiles eventualy on the other but this one just compeltly freezes up it wont compile it just continues using more and more memory (and i know this is probly really to late to be replying to this but iv b een on vacation until just a few weaks ago and i totaly forgot about this
Email the source to Lummox?
Falacy wrote:
Email the source to Lummox?

hmm the source is 44mb in size and i dont think any email service will let me send that big of a file
Please don't change the BYOND version reported in a bug report when you upgrade. It's much better for us to be able to tell which version the issue was first reported under.
Lummox JR wrote:
Please don't change the BYOND version reported in a bug report when you upgrade. It's much better for us to be able to tell which version the issue was first reported under.

My bad ill remember that for future reference would you like me to email you the source im having most problems with?
Iv tested down to BYOND version 455 and it still becomes non responsive and refuses to compile i dont know what could be causing it could it be that im running a 64 bit processor?
ok my Computer hates me Dream maker just refuses to work for me on this laptop it works on all other computers iv tryed but on this laptop everything just refuses to compile it becaomes non responsive and does not comp[ile eveyrhting else with byond works i wouldnt think its my computer because i can play Sims 3 with no lag which im pretty sure takes a lot more processor then BYOND so i officaly give up