ID:97984

Keywords: guitar, music, piano
I've been learning how to play the piano for about 2 weeks or so now. I can only play about half of a song so far. I didn't get into learning all of the chords that much, only some of them. Do any of you guys play any instruments? For how long have you played them and what about that instrument brought interest to you? I personally like the piano because I remember the times in elementary school sitting in the auditorium listening to someone play the piano on stage while I was stuck playing the recorder in one of my classes. In high school I started listening to Beethoven which also motivated me to learn how to play. I also want to learn how to play the guitar but I'll be saving that for a later time.
Guitar 5 years, piano 2 years~ and I can do a little drums.

I like playing any instrament because you can make anything you want out of them eg. Harmonica, transform toooo, a t rex!

I joke, but once you get good at any instrament, playing others just seems natural... Especially when your first instrament is a guitar, and people expect you to be able to shred. You gotta learn everything, from modes, pentatonics, CAGED system, relative minors, sub dominants and -everything- before you can do something sexy off your own back... But once you can, it's amazing! :D

Good luck with learning piano, not too difficult in my opinion, but you can play some beautiful things on it :D

Very easy to improvise on aswell :3
Cool, I have some friends that play the guitar. My brother has been playing it for 3 years now. His school offers classes for some reason.

If you find any decent tutorials for the piano let me know. So far I bought a dvd from this site. It was linked to gotitans999's youtube account, he's pretty awesome. I'm trying to get some more money in my paypal to buy another dvd.

After I'm done learning "Sadness and Sorrow" I plan to learn something a bit more challenging. It's called Tabi No Tochuu. It's the theme song for the anime Spice and Wolf.
I play the Pencils.

I can do something similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7z7RsEZFc
EmpirezTeam wrote:
I play the Pencils.

Haha, reminds me of my middle school days, all the kids making beats on tables like that. Without the pencils though.
I play you mom. why? because she is hot;O jk. I can't play anything to save my life ;(
EmpirezTeam wrote:
I play the Pencils.

Lol, nice!
Several, actually.

Guitar - Eight years.
Piano - Nine years.
Violin - 5 years(Stopped playing it.)

I'm unsure if this would be classed with the Piano, but I also play the keyboard.
I create music does this count? lol
The two most important instruments in the world:Air guitar and The Triangle.
I have played the guitar for 6 or 7 years. I actually traded my Violin i got because i joined band in jr. high for a ibanez electric guitar and amp. For me the guitar just came natural, i have no formal training besides teaching myself chords and all there different positions along with some of the most common scales and patterns.
I used to play the violin in the fifth grade; I only played for about two weeks though.
Kumorii wrote:
Several, actually.

Guitar - Eight years.
Piano - Nine years.

I'm unsure if this would be classed with the Piano, but I also play the keyboard.

How did you learn and how long did it take you before you could make your own songs or copy others by ear.
Riku 123q wrote:
The two most important instruments in the world:Air guitar and The Triangle.

You need more cowbell.
BxS0ldi3R wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
Several, actually.

Guitar - Eight years.
Piano - Nine years.

How did you learn and how long did it take you before you could make your own songs or copy others by ear.

Not long.. I could learn by ear at like, 2 1/2 years, you can write your own stuff whenever... It's luck at the beginning, technique at the end. Learn your scales, modes, pentatonics and you'll be able to do it easy :3
BxS0ldi3R wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
Several, actually.

Guitar - Eight years.
Piano - Nine years.

I can't really copy a song by ear, seeing as I never really bothered trying it. Song writting is rather simple, just play a riff that sound good, copy the chords/notes and tweak it.

As far as learning the instrument goes, I started violin in school(4th grade) and decided to stick with it until I eventually stopped playing it.

Guitar I started off taking lessons for but quit the lessons after a week, because the teacher was way to fast. I picked up the guitar somewhat naturally after learning the basics, I'm not great with it though.

And the piano was my first instrument, which I was taught by my grandmother.
I play the guitar and have been playing and since i was around 5 years old and it runs in the family.