Protowar (GIAD 2011)

by Makeii
[Share] [Zip]
ID:119040

This was originally planned to be a lot more extensive. That didn't happen, though. no matter. The game feels a lot like an arcade hit than anything, and I am quite proud of what I have done.

the theme I used in the GIAD was "For Science!" mostly because that is really the closest theme I could find to this game. I had originally planned on making a shoot-em-up before the themes came out, so I sort of had to try incorporating Science to it somehow.

I had to cut out a lot of planned ideas mostly because of time constraints. Although sleep is not counted for the GIAD time, I wanted to work on a strict 24-hour cycle. I started one hour after the themes were released and finished nearly 24 hours afterwards.

The game has these key features

* 4 unique weapons
* Seamless difficulty increase
* hi-score is saved
* simplistic design
* Extra lives for every 10,000 points

The enemy types are rather limited. There's the normal block and the invulnerable block. The goal is to get the highest score possible before you run out of lives. As you shoot down the normal blocks, you may encounter power-ups which change your weapon. I find the Long Laser (red) to be the best weapon. However there are times when the Wide Laser (green) is really helpful in dispatching a lot of normal blocks at the same time.
cool game :D
yeah like Teka123 said its pretty cool.
Great game, genuinely entertaining.

Graphics are good, gameplay is smooth and challenging; the power ups are a lot of fun.
I would have to disagree with the challenging part. There is nothing that can kill you other than running into those blocks with the X on them ( which are extremely easy to dodge ).
EmpirezTeam wrote:
I would have to disagree with the challenging part. There is nothing that can kill you other than running into those blocks with the X on them ( which are extremely easy to dodge ).

If it is that easy then why don't you have a high score? :o
AWESOME!
A classic arcade shooter, very impressive for a game made in one day. I hope to see this game expanded on, it could be very fun with more game elements added.