Pokémon Online World

by Naokohiro
Pokémon Online World
Pokémon how it was meant to be.
ID:2380881

It's been a long time since the server for this old game closed out.

I apologize for the long delay, and I know my original fanbase has likely moved on.
Despite that, all original save data are in tact. I saved them this entire time.
The final log of data stored is from 2012.
For kicks, take a look at the scoreboard. (It amazes me that multiple people maxed the Pokédex.)
I'm impressed and amazed at how many hours people put into playing this game, and I'm glad I could create something with that much potential for fun. I'm happy I could add enjoyment to people's lives doing something I love to do.

I'm not sure if I'm going to update the game any further. There's about 20-40 minutes of story content, as most of my time spent was on programming external data algorithms to rip data structures/graphics from raw ROM data and on UI implementation. (Interesting fact: The NPCs function on my own custom scripting language.)

It's been a long, long time and I'm not as proficient in DM script as I used to be. That said, I don't know if I want to continue working with the Dream Maker engine, or if I want to create an all-new project in a modern game engine (Unity). (I'm already pushing BYOND's engine beyond its expected usage.)

If I can succeed in my old ways of being a master at ripping raw data, my new project will also be entirely 3D. (If BYOND supported 3D, I might consider using it.)
I may be able to at least find a way to update the data of the game to include up to 7th generation and update the battle algorithms using open source implementations that are available. (I hope I can find the time.)
I would also like to add some sort of procedurally generated level content, if possible. (Infinitely-expanding Safari Zone, anyone?)

My current plan is to keep the game hosted at all times for the foreseeable future. Right now, it's on a pretty laggy server, but as my financial situation provides, I will upgrade the server to accommodate its needs. I apologize for the lag in the meantime!

In any case, the future of Pokémon Online World is looking good!

I always wanted to make a game that perfectly simulates the Pokémon experience and also allows for anyone to jump in and create their own worlds within that engine. Maybe someday I will be able to accomplish that task.

Thanks again to anyone who tries out my game and becomes a fan, and to all of my existing fans for playing this game and making my efforts worth something beyond a mere hobby.
Wow, I thought i'll never hear the day this game would return, welcome back!
Update: It's been brought to my attention that the save data from when the game was revived the first time (in 2012-2013) was lost permanently. I scoured my hard drives to no avail.

Unfortunately, for about the one year the server was hosted, all of the saves from after that time were lost.

I'd like to apologize for my mistake in not backing up those save files.

I'm going to contact the server support from the server where that data was stored to see if they keep backups for this long.
Yay
Holy heck. I just randomly logged in to this account and saw this alert
Guess what, I actually played this game back in the day, and now just go on BYOND from time to time to look at games. Glad to see this is back and I will definitely be logging back on.
It always was a shame that a game this well done came to an ending. Good to see it back.
Really excited to see this back! I was still just a lil boy with broken english who didn't really understand BYOND when this game was a thing and always wanted to play it again.