ID:121644

Guiz srsly
I'm going to miss these with the new site update...
and these
not so much these
Yah guiz. Srsly! SRSLY!
Life as we know it will never be the same.
that shit cray.
Indeed. I thought the change was going to be a good one.

But then I remembered the boxes. GOOD LORD WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITHOUT THE BOXES?!?!?
I'm not sure to understand the post? Whats wrong?
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
I'm not sure to understand the post? Whats wrong?

Same.
The future site update is reducing the blog system to, almost nothing. We'll have to live with no customization and such, I believe it is being integrated with Forums. So perhaps I can use enough HTML and such to give future content a decent look.
Hmmm... I've heard about the site update,but i'm sure our blog won't be affected,if it is,BYOND is losing it's main purpose of having memberships.
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Hmmm... I've heard about the site update,but i'm sure our blog won't be affected,if it is,BYOND is losing it's main purpose of having memberships.

You're wrong.
Kidpaddle45 wrote:

There's always tumblr and blogspot if all you want to do with your life is blog.
It's not that all what i want to do is blog... but the biggest benefit we get from being a member is this page actually.
I think the biggest benefit of them is keeping BYOND alive.
4chan > Tumblr
We may lose some sales (not that we have a lot), but I'm trying to work towards a better site and this blog/guild stuff just didn't pan out like I'd intended. I hope people realize that the #1 reason for membership isn't the blogs or the pager stuff but the simple gesture to support BYOND. Since we will always keep the software and any real usability features free, there's really nothing we can sell that will be "worth" the money. I'm just counting on a certain percentage of users to get that.
Tom wrote:
We may lose some sales (not that we have a lot), but I'm trying to work towards a better site and this blog/guild stuff just didn't pan out like I'd intended. I hope people realize that the #1 reason for membership isn't the blogs or the pager stuff but the simple gesture to support BYOND. Since we will always keep the software and any real usability features free, there's really nothing we can sell that will be "worth" the money. I'm just counting on a certain percentage of users to get that.

Make BYOND T-shirts. Durr. Everybody knows that T-shirts = money.
Selling some products does work. At my school we have the best Graphics department in Adams County PA, and we are able to make mousepads, license plates, shirts, hoodies, mugs, bookmarks, pins, etc. In my free time I make these, along with vinyl stickers, some brochures, etc.

They have at least made me money because the production costs are very low, the most expensive thing (besides the $17 hoodies) are the $10 puzzles / clocks (pretty much you make the background for the clock). The shirts are $3-4 to make, from Gildan, and anything bigger than XL is a $1 more. Last year for a grade we had to sell these and I made quite a bit of money in those two weeks.

However, they BYOND store has happened before, and didn't do well. Perhaps it is all a marketing / appeal issue.

I'd like to know what the motivation is behind the site changes. Having a blog should have never been the reason for someone to buy a membership (though I'm sure it often was), but it just sounds like the update will remove a lot of user activity (both good and bad).
I'll explain more in my post, but basically the site is too spread out right now and we have too many avenues of communication. All of the activity on the blogs should just be in the forums, so that's what we're doing. It'll be a lot easier to see what people are posting and track stuff you care about. We also added all sorts of useful site-specific things like special controls for contests and a better way of doing classified ads.
Is there a timeframe on this update (or on the post about the update)?
Page: 1 2