ID:132424

Well, I and I am sure many others have enjoyed your tutorial on skin making. However; I was wondering if there were any chance that you could extend or expand on the skin making tutorial to something more advanced. I really enjoyed the skin maker tutorial and it has really helped me, however I feel as though there should be some kind of extension to it. Something more advanced and something more difficult to learn that can extend on the original tutorial. I know, I know, generally people will say,

"Well you know its not his job to teach you everything, you need to go out and learn the rest on your own"

However; I like your teaching style and I think it is very conducive to learning, and its not like a advanced tutorial would hurt anyone. In fact, it might just promote more and better interfaces for games.

Anyway, my question was just if you would be willing to make another tutorial on skin making but with more advanced skills, perhaps just take off where the last tutorial left off?
I would be happy with a new tutorial but I'd prefer if they were to keep busy on the site and software and if someone else did the tutorials.
Let's start with attempting to get them to not have all of our variables defined as floats. -_-
In response to OrangeWeapons
What's exactly wrong with floats? Or are you saying we should be able to define integers as well?
What kind of tutorial would you like. I'll write one up in my spare time.
In response to Zaltron
Just another tutorial that shows other more advanced aspects of skin making. I mean, Lummox's tutorial was great for learning the basics, but I have seen a lot of really cool things done with skins on BYOND and I feel that if there were another tutorial with more advanced skin making properties (Like things that can be done with skins that aren't, or ways to make skins more efficient and yet still aesthetically pleasing)I don't know... I am not looking for any specific one thing. Just a general tutorial on different and more advanced skin making techniques.

Also thank you for offering. I didn't mean for this to be like a "Lummox needs to drop everything he is doing and make more tutorials" thing. But you know, in his spare time when he isn't working on the additions to the site or software, or after major updates when he has some downtime, another tutorial would be great. But in reality I guess anyone could make the tutorial as long as they had the knowledge and the skill. So if you would like to make a tutorial I would be glad to check it out.

I think interfaces have a lot of potential and after doing the first tutorial I am left wanting to know more. XD
In response to Moussiffer
Well, for one, Lummox JR isn't the only one who can write tutorials. Anyone can. Any member of BYOND, who is a developer, has any idea of what they are doing, and the patience to write a tutorial, can do it.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Perhaps you should re-read my message where I say in plain English that anyone could make a tutorial as long as they had the knowledge and skill to do so...

And if you read my original post, you would see why I asked Lummox Jr to do it in the first place. Not only did he write the original tutorial, but I also thoroughly enjoyed his teaching method because it was easy to follow and understand.
me? read? are you crazy? there is no "r" in Super Saiyan X- therefore it cannot stand for read!

Anyways, is there anything specific you want a tutorial on? Maybe if you had some topics, I could write something.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Zaltron asked the same question, and I answered it also. XD But there isn't really anything specific that I want to learn. I would just like to learn more about what can be done with skins. I mean, I have seen people us their skins to make pretty awesome character creation screens, skins to make stat bars, skins to make message window pop ups transparent, ETC. I am sure that a lot of these things can't be taught in a tutorial, or perhaps they could if matched with libraries or something (for instance, using Deadron's character handling lib with a skin tutorial to show how to use the skin to work with making character creation screens; not sure if that would work though) but a more advanced guide to what can be done with skins is all I am looking for. I guess what I am looking for are just the more advanced things done with skins that most people don't know about or use to make there skins. Things that can make your skin very efficient and aesthetically pleasing at the same time. I'm not sure if that helps in anyway... XD
well, check out some of my demos, I made some interface based stuff before- i made the demos as I was learning how to do it, so. yeah...
Some advanced interfacing techniques could include utilizing things like client-side commands, the style scripting for output and grid elements, transparency, passing arguments to verbs for commands being called by the interface elements (i.e. a button calling a verb and passing an argument to it), and other such stuff that Lummox JR's skin making tutorial doesn't really cover, but may open the doorway for. It's all really up to you and what you want to do, and then you figuring out how to accomplish it in one way or another.
In response to Zaltron
Zaltron wrote:

I'd like to assist you Zaltron, if you'd allow. :D
I love that everyone BUT Lummox Jr, who the question was directed too, has answered the question. XD
There is a fifth installment that's basically done (it may need some revisiting), but it doesn't cover advanced stuff. However I'm not really sure what people would be looking for in an advanced tutorial.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Actually Lummox, I question if even a fifth installment is needed. I suppose just easier maybe, but the way I learned skins was simply taking your tutorial, and making an entire skin related project (formerly known as BYONDWave) to learn pretty much every aspect of it.
In response to CauTi0N
Yeah, that would be good. Do you have skype by chance? Message me over the pager when you get a chance.
In response to Lummox JR
I think pretty much anything talked about in this thread would be a good idea to add to the tutorial. As well as things that you think are commonly over looked when people make skins. I am sure there is something, some feature or some ability that most people over look when working on there skins that could have made it more efficient or aesthetically pleasing or what have you.
In response to Zaltron
Zaltron wrote:

I would be interested in a tutorial on using the BYOND skin to make a character creation screen. Such as a main menu to create a new character, select a saved character, or quite the game. And then with character creation, just some either basic inputs or random inputs, such as Character name, Characters hobbies, Characters family, Characters race, Characters age. ETC. Nothing to fancy just something different. Maybe how to add pictures to the background or using buttons and bars in the creations process. I think if this were coupled with Deadron's Character handling lib it might be easier than creating your own custom login and save system. Something like that... Not sure if you can do this. But It is something I am interested in.