ID:132899

Could it be possible to make it where; if blog comments got to about 7-8 they would become hidden. Then a "more" tab would show up and you could view the rest of the comments. To free up some room.
I'd rather go with the layout you see on most websites.
<<FIRST <OLDER 12[3]45 NEWER> NEWEST>>
Doesn't it already show a limited number of comments? If they're going to add something like this it should be a user/owner setting of how many posts are displayed per "page"
Rather than the AJAX page system they have going now, I'd rather just have it start with the oldest comments at the top, go down to say 20, then have a link that says "Next 20 comments" and instead of changing pages, it will just load up 20 more below the first 20. This is how a lot of sites (digg, slashdot, reddit, facebook, etc) usually handle things rather than different pages, especially when an AJAX system is already in place.

Plus, why the heck does it start with the newest comments anyway? Who reads a discussion in reverse chronological order?
In response to Airjoe
It'd also be nice if it highlighted unread posts like the forums do.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Plus, why the heck does it start with the newest comments anyway? Who reads a discussion in reverse chronological order?

This has always puzzled me. Comments are normally discussions on the original blog post, so it would be logical to start at the beginning of the discussion. Most websites do standard chronological order, but all Gawker websites have recently switched to reverse chronological order because they felt that chronological would hide new valuable comments and people would be discouraged from commenting on the main topic after more than a page was filled. However, this is at odds with the concept of not posting something someone else has, so if the comments for a post go into say 3 pages, and respectful members don't want to repost an important link that was placed in the third comment, most people will never see that link. It's quite an issue.
In response to Danial.Beta
So really, just an option to switch the comments from descending to ascending? The comments are already numbered, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be possible.
In response to Airjoe
Can we at least get some word on this? I understand why it's not a priority, but let me walk you through my most recent experience with a blog post and its comment thread:

1) Read article
2) Scroll all the way to the button of the page to hit the "previous" link. (Why isn't this at the top, since no one starts reading the 56th comment and goes back?)
3) Do this again, because there's 56 comments and I want to start from the beginning.
4) Read all comments as I scroll up the page.
5) Scroll all the way back down the page so I can go to page 2 of comments
6) Scroll all the way down the page *again* because of the way the comments load- I'm only located halfway through the second page.
7) Read all the comments as I scroll up the page.
8) Scroll all the way back down the page so I can click on the "newer comments" link.
9) Scroll all the way down the page *again* because of the way the comments load- I'm only located halfway through the second page.
10) Read all the comments as I scroll up the page.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

How it should go:
1)Read article
2) Scroll down a little bit- first comment displays first.
3) Scroll down as I continue to read comments 1-20. When I read 20, there is a link for "more comments" which displays the next 20 comments- *without* removing the first 20 (should I want to go back to read!).
4) Continue step 3 until end of comments reached.

In response to Airjoe
Highly seconded.