ID:1414620

I've heard this being discussed multiple times, if not hundreds of times even. Has it ever been done where we all come together and discuss, "How can we work together to get BYOND more noticed?"

I for one know that I would definitely love for BYOND to become much more popular than it is now. Full games, push the dev team to make a stronger engine for even better games (animate was a very interesting feature and a great leap), and more people in the community. All things that would result from this. I'm probably going to start talking nonsense soon considering the fact that I'm tired, in my bed, and on mobile. So, I'll put it simply and sum it up for those who didn't read.

TLDR: What idea(s) do you have to get BYOND more noticed?

Think about your idea for posting. And to keep this topic clean so we can discuss it seriously, here's a format

For repsonse towards the original post do @OP: [message/idea here]
For responses to another person's idea just quote them
Anything else, just write away.
I recently typed in Google, "Make you own games," a common set of keywords I used to put in often in to Google when I was younger and wanting to make games. It never led me to BYOND, sadly. A friend told me about this.
A large part of this has been discussed repeatedly, and the end summary of worthwhile commentary is merely: We need more developers that are going to take advantage of what BYOND offers already.

Inevitably, it always devolves into pointless flaming about how BYOND pales in comparison to UDK, and about how BYOND should make sandwiches for them by default.

Inevitably, the answer comes down to simply: make games. Our biggest draw of users has always been from individual games, and not from the engine itself.

I was drawn in by the engine back in 2000-2001, but back then, there was no competition for making multiplayer games.

Now, our majority audience seems to be drawn in from the anime games and SS13 itself. Silk's games have also brought in significant draw.

Unfortunately, however, this helps us secure a playerbase, and BYOND is largely marketing itself to, and being sustained by the developer base.

The end answer is just make games, and market them outside of BYOND.
Make good games. Polish them. Market them elsewhere, like Reddit and gamedev.net.

I still think that developers here should hold themselves to a more professional standard.
and now for our monthly "hao 2 advartise bayaond?" thread lol
Lol. These threads are made monthly? Never noticed.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
and now for our monthly "hao 2 advartise bayaond?" thread lol

Oh? We've cut back to just monthly now? Progress!
At this point it's pretty pointless for us to keep saying "people need to make games and advertise them," since we've had a thread about this every single month for the last few years. Everyone nods their head in agreeance to this statement, then runs off to try to devise ingenius ways to attract people to BYOND that isn't making and advertising games. A bit of skipping the "if you build it," step, and just waiting around for them to come anyways.
Where do they come from? Friends and search engines? Those were the only two ways I ever thought of. With search engines, wouldn't we have to consider what a person would type in the engine mostly? Then, place it in the description of the game. I'm pretty sure nobody is going to come to a good game if it doesn't have a good hint saying, "Hey, this is what you've been looking for!"

What's the biggest reason why there aren't many new great games being made/finished?

For me, I tend to quit on my projects because of the lack of willing artists. I try to draw by myself but they look like.. I don't know.
When someone says "make a great game, then advertise/market it", they are talking about going off-BYOND, and spreading (spamming) the word. Sending press releases (or at least videos and screenshots, and a smal description) to various indie gaming sites, joining various gaming forums and posting, etc.

Very few BYONDers have ever taken that step (at least more than half-heartedly)

Now, as for why there aren't many games being made/finished? I think the biggest culprit is the fact that the majority of our most talented developers tend to be tinkerers at heart, and never get anything done aside from libraries and demos. :)
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
What's the biggest reason why there aren't many new great games being made/finished?

The biggest reason is that independent game development is a personal struggle. Making games is a legitimately difficult affair, especially if you're trying to do so alone due to the number of different skill sets required in order to put out a complete game.

Some people honestly have no interest in trying to make the next big thing, and just like to tinker with making small games as a hobby. Which is perfectly fine; given that independent game developers use their own time and resources to make games -- as opposed to being contracted/paid to do so by a publisher -- then they are the ones that can decide just how far they want to go with their projects.

Unfortunately, this makes gaming portals such as BYOND risky ventures because you have to rely on the community members to take up the torch of being developers. It is up to said developers to motivate themselves and push towards creating and releasing a game.

Ultimately, we cannot force developers to make games, let alone good games. It's all up to the developers as to what scope and quality they set out to make their games. No one on BYOND (and independent game development in general) is obligated to putting out great games, regardless of how badly BYOND needs fresh, new games.
I see.. in my situation I quit most of my projects halfway (sometimes just at the beginning) because, well why continue? I however find it easier to keep going with someone around to keep reminding you, "Quit being lazy and get to work!" Which, in my case, would be Ss4toby as he's helping me with the Server Project I'm doing. It's been updated constantly for 7 months. And with the many satisfied people, I'm more than motivated to continue.
The thing is, some people have no interest in BYOND, but this isn't because of the engine itself. I've noticed many things (my upcoming point being rather controversial)- People build what they want, disregarding what the community and player base want.

For example, I make a Helicopter Sniping game. I enjoy it and want to play it, and so do 7 other of my friends. Yet the other 2,993 people online don't have an interest in it, and so I start to wonder why no one likes my Helicopter Sniping game.

My main reason is that for more people to come into BYOND, time (despite the fact there has been loads of waiting) needs to continue to flow and with that HOPEFULLY the game quality will get better.

To clarify my point two paragraphs ago, I don't mean that developers should not make what they want (since it's totally up to them and the software is called Build Your Own Dream). However, I think that they need to communicate with the community who WILL be playing their game more. Graphics is half of the equation (though many people including myself do somewhat judge a game to a certain degree based on the graphics) and so is Gameplay and Ease of Use (I judge by this as well).

I know in time the amount of people coming to BYOND and joining (being here for 6 months is what I call 'joining') will increase; it's just a matter of when. I guess that people need to remember that their games represent BYOND.

(I dunno if this should be in another topic but it somewhat has things to do with this so~)

It's really a 50/50 thing - Developer Input/Staff Input.
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
I've tried this. It didn't work.

What prevented my advertising attempts from working was the fact that I mentioned BYOND. I probably lost more players by advertising the game as a BYOND game than I gained.

The vast majority of people you'll run into who know about BYOND just wont have anything positive to say about it. As far as everyone else is concerned, BYOND just isn't capable of making good games.

It is not as simple as "if you build it, they will come". I had people literally begging me to do things like set up a twitter account they could follow, give them access to an early test of the game and even let them in on the development. As soon as I mentioned BYOND, these people vanished. I haven't seen them again.

Unfortunately, if you want to advertise a game outside of BYOND, your best and at this point in time only chance is to pay the $100 stand alone license fee, remove every mention of BYOND from your game, leave here and never look back. It might sound harsh, but that's just the way it is.
I disagree, and I've said it before. The tide must be changed, and public opinion needs to be shifted. And the only way that will ever happen is for really good games to be made here, and promoted everywhere with no attempt to hide their creation.

The prejudice can only be reversed by countering it with as many examples against it as possible.

So, sure, cutting all ties to BYOND and hiding the fact might work for an individual developer just trying to make a quick buck or a quick name for himself, but it will do nothing to drag BYOND out of the hole it has fallen into.

Perhaps this sort of loyalty is uncommon, but I for one feel an obligation to do whatever I can to help this amazing little engine that could, and I'd hope that most of my fellow BYONDers feel the same.
As admirable as that is, BYOND reputation has just been destroyed to the point that it might not even be repairable. I'm not saying you couldn't successfully change how people see BYOND and games made with it, but it's going to take more than just a miracle.

Even a BYOND game being accepted on Steam hasn't done anything noticeable to effect BYONDs reputation.
I actually have a similar sense of loyalty, and I would say it's kind of hit and miss among the developers around here. Some feel it, some don't, but most of the ones that do not I feel have been made that way because of what The Magic Man has mentioned.

So, with what he has said in mind, I wonder if the way to change the tide is actually to do something in between what you and The Magic Man have said; hide the fact at first then reveal it in the credits or at least some late point in game where they've already started loving the game.

If they find out it's BYOND before playing, it's easy to write off and not give it a try. Foolish, of course, but easy to do. Even if it's good they won't know, so it won't help. If they never find out it's BYOND, it does nothing for the engine, there's no arguing that. If they find out after they get really into it, though, wouldn't that be the best way to change the tide? Some people could be stupid about it, but most of them would have to admit that the fact it is a BYOND game is no reason for them to call the game bad after they've been calling it good up until seeing that.

I guess word could spread after someone sees the credits, though, so that may not work. It's so tricky to change such a widely spread opinion.

It may have to be done the longer, tougher way where things that don't already have the opinion, like popular blogs, and forums are used to try and apply a good force of energy that will eventually spread into the more popular areas like Reddit.

Wikipedia, while not as important, will also be among the more popular ones, but I think it will be the very last one to change.
Does BYOND do actual advertising? AdWords, for example. I don't know if it would help. But, just asking. I wouldn't mind conjuring some of my saved money to advertise.
It doesn't. Mostly as adwords(and paid ads in general) in general is a high cost low return kind of marketing, and BYOND doesn't really have a lot of "high cost" going spare.

To put a little perspective on it, I rolled a little adwords campaign for BYOND Anime. £80 outlaid, 300,000 impressions, 400 clicks. Probably one new non-member, at best. The anime segment I was after probably was less discerning than say ... the indie developer segment, so I'd expect worse returns there.
You paid 80 pounds? What were you trying to attract? People who like anime or people interested in "Building their own network dream?" I'm looking at the keyword that's related to "How to make my own games" lol. I think more people are interested in that. And if linked to a place where they can start off easy with programming.. well, yeah.
Page: 1 2