ID:182378

This is really just a short query, seen as I need to tag licences for repository management. Does BYOND have a specific licence it is distributed under? Even if it's just something you guys made, that's fine, I'm allowed to add licences to the repository system.

If you don't have anything formal, could I just distribute under an 'as-is' type licence, which I believe all the main package management systems provide? It just states that what you see is what you get.
Because BYOND isn't open-source or anything like that the only 'license' is the one you agree to when you run the full installer. Which is basically a generic EULA, nothing else.
Stephen001 wrote:
This is really just a short query, seen as I need to tag licences for repository management. Does BYOND have a specific licence it is distributed under? Even if it's just something you guys made, that's fine, I'm allowed to add licences to the repository system.

If you don't have anything formal, could I just distribute under an 'as-is' type licence, which I believe all the main package management systems provide? It just states that what you see is what you get.

This is our legal agreement (which you must "OK" when you first install BYOND):

LEGAL NOTICE

Copyright 1996-2008 BYOND. All Rights Reserved.

The BYOND software is free, and may be freely distributed, so long as it is distributed in its entirety and free of charge. No parts of BYOND may be distributed individually, nor may extraneous parts be distributed with the package, without written permission from the authors (http://www.byond.com/support/).

In no event shall BYOND be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or related to the usage of the software or information contained within or pertaining to BYOND.
In response to Tom
Then I suppose I'd do good to ask you whether it's okay to split the BYOND package up a bit, mainly to create some more choice for linux users.

My intention (it's not something I do currently) would be to have a byond-libs package, that distributes the core shared object stuff your other linux tools require (libbyond.so and libext.so in this instance). Then I would have a separate byond-server package, with the DreamDaemon stuff in (depends on byond-libs), and a byond-dm package, that provides DreamMaker. Any tools I add to the repositories will be separate packages, not least because it makes most sense. The package names may change a bit, but the composition will be the same and will be licenced according to the licence you've provided.

Will you permit me to split the BYOND package you guys provide like so, and distribute it?

Edit: Myself and Nadrew discussed this some, although I do still prefer some splitting up, it's not something I'll do in the forseeable future.
In response to Stephen001
Well, the whole BYOND package is very small.
I don't see the plus in splitting it up into two packages.

Are you going to submit them into the Debian repos so that they may be synced with Ubuntu? That's the primary operating system for newbies around here.
In response to Flame Sage
I can't submit them to the debian repositories, it isn't GPLv2 compliant. I'll run my own repository, which can be added to people's sources.lst.
And to be GPLv2 compliant it would have to be open-sourced.
Dang. Well perhaps just create a .deb package that BYOND could put up on the site or something.
Nah, as I stated, I'm running a repository myself. You'll just add the repository to the sources.lst, and it'll be integrated into apt.
Some people don't trust custom repos.
Perhaps BYOND itself should run a repo?
It would be less resource consuming to just host a .deb file. Running a repository all the time for a single package would is like shooting an ant with a rocket launcher. As for the OP, I'd only suggest he runs his own if he has more than one package to offer, otherwise it's just a waste over hosting a .deb file.