ID:1844805

Debian 8.0 Jessie.

Did everything said on https://appdb.winehq.org/ objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10152 and when I'm going to start BYOND I get stuck at "Loading game information".

Any help?
This reminds me of an issue we've had with networked drives on Windows. Does the path that it sees start with a / or is it a friendlier DOS style like C:/MyDir/... ?

The reason I ask is that the network drive thing is, I think, a limitation of SQLite. I'd love to find a way to finally be rid of that limitation, but anyway that's what your issue sounds like.
You're on the wrong version of those instructions, the correct ones are here.

https://appdb.winehq.org/ objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=29560

Only the build that's downloadable on that page is confirmed working in all regards, and nobody has maintained the instructions for BYOND in a while. I'd use that build and instructions until a newer compatible build and instructions can be discovered by someone.

Troubleshooting aside, it's a downright travesty there remains no official port of the BYOND client for GNU/Linux. At the very least, the developers could put out a preconfigured Wine release that just werks.

Considering the number of games now receiving proper GNU/Linux ports, it's time for BYOND to at least try and put forward a solution.

Edit: Wording it less strongly, I'm coming off frustration with hacking together solutions for playing BYOND on GNU/Linux setups.
In response to Gitgud
Gitgud wrote:
Troubleshooting aside, it's a downright travesty there remains no official port of the BYOND client for GNU/Linux. At the very least, the developers could put out a preconfigured Wine release that just werks.

Considering the number of games now receiving proper GNU/Linux ports, it's time for BYOND to at least make an effort, or come up with a valid explanation as to why no release exists for our platform.

Porting DS to Linux is simply not feasible, but the webclient will work there. DS is a fairly complex piece of software, and porting it has always been extremely low on the list of doable tasks. This is exacerbated by the fact that I'm not a Linux user.

That's also why there's no official Wine configuration for BYOND. AFAIK Tom doesn't use Wine either, so neither of us is in a position to figure out what needs to be configured. This is something the Linux users need to handle together.

I will say that there's really no reason I can think of that newer versions shouldn't be compatible. The pager loading thing is very unlikely to be anything new, and I expect would have the same issue in build 501.
I can't imagine working with WINE would be something too difficult to learn, or that dual-booting/utilizing a VM to test Linux ports are out of the realm of feasibility.

The issue is likely stemming from login for me. Lately I've crashed whenever I try to sign in using the latest release, despite everything else working.

I'm probably going to get into doing this myself, but I feel the developers would be better suited considering more knowledge about what libraries are exactly being pulled from here.
In response to Gitgud
Gitgud wrote:
I can't imagine working with WINE would be something too difficult to learn, or that dual-booting/utilizing a VM to test Linux ports are out of the realm of feasibility.

All of that would take time I don't have. This is something an experienced Linux user could figure out a lot more easily.

The issue is likely stemming from login for me. Lately I've crashed whenever I try to sign in using the latest release, despite everything else working.

If you're getting an actual crash, do you have info on which module crashed and where, and in which specific BYOND build? That I could use. It's possible there's something that doesn't behave well with Wine that could be made to behave a little better by doing it a different way. I can't know that without information.

I'm probably going to get into doing this myself, but I feel the developers would be better suited considering more knowledge about what libraries are exactly being pulled from here.

The developer is me. I can handle investigating crashes within our code. Trying to configure Wine is out of my wheelhouse.
as a multi OS user i find it simpler

for a Linux user to just VM windows or dual boot

and a mac user to use Parallels Desktop and have it run in the background this allows mac users to run any EXE on there apple computer.

@Gitgud
when it comes to wine it can be picky there have been days it has worked and goto run it the next day and it not even run the same program it ran the day before.

Generally, small-time Windows game dev platforms don't particularly have Linux builds at all, and don't tend to put out Wine compatible builds as such. It makes sense, given Linux makes up like ... 1% of the general desktop market.

RPG Maker's runtime for instance largely gets it's Wine support from the userbase. While I have personal views on the benefits of trying to keep platform portable to allow for stuff like this, you're talking about a big overhaul on core technology choices BYOND made some 10 years ago, to get a platform portable build. Or alternatively, duplicating the client effort entirely, for a market that is frankly rather niche.

Regarding the install steps on Wine for a BYOND 5.x build, I'll have a little play over the weekend, targeting the latest Ubuntu and Fedora releases. I've rarely found BYOND to be an impossible run on Wine, usually it just requires a bit more technical userstanding (both on the Linux side, and on the Windows side BYOND is expecting to operate on) than our users usually have time for.

I don't really have any intention on picking up maintainership of the 5.x builds on Wine, given I don't actually use BYOND anymore. I'm largely here as someone pinged me on AppDB.
Fun BYOND history fact of the day: DUNG's original graphical version was made on a Linux system using X as a desktop. They actually have ported BYOND once -- from Linux to Windows. Ironic, don't you think?
It doesn't matter which version of the two guides you use as long as you follow it down to the letter. I originally pioneered this install procedure and I remember getting stuck on Loading game information as well -- I also seem to recall this being an issue with the IE versions being installed in the wrong order. In any case, I installed it last week on a fresh Linux box, so I can confirm that the instructions still work.

Again, though, follow it down to the letter. The order of operations is important.
In response to Marquesas
Marquesas wrote:
It doesn't matter which version of the two guides you use as long as you follow it down to the letter. I originally pioneered this install procedure and I remember getting stuck on Loading game information as well -- I also seem to recall this being an issue with the IE versions being installed in the wrong order. In any case, I installed it last week on a fresh Linux box, so I can confirm that the instructions still work.

Again, though, follow it down to the letter. The order of operations is important.

But see, the issue here is trying to get current builds to work with those instructions. The instructions work just fine with the older builds including the listed one, but stops working around builds 506/507, likely sometime in 506 development. I've noticed that between those two versions a new library got added to the install process, another mfc120.dll library.

That might be the source of the newly arisen problems?

Edit: So, the latest build to work with wine for me is 506.1250. I hope somebody can do something with that.
There were indeed three new DLLs included in BYOND as of the newer builds. I would hazard a guess that those WINE instructions need to be updated.

Although I don't work with WINE, I did find info in the winetricks script that suggests that if winetricks is up to date, all you should have to do is change vcrun6 to vcrun2013. All I did to find that was search for "mfc120" in the script and it came right up.
When I said I installed it last week, I meant I installed the latest beta/507 build last week. I don't know what the issue might be specifically. There are so many factors to this, it's perfectly possible only a specific version range (that happens to include the ones available in the trusty apt) of wine 1.7 runs it. I'm fairly sure it was 507.1285 (but it was *definitely* 507), I can check tomorrow when I get to work if you'd like.

To be fair, all this headache can be spared if you set up a VM with XP. It's much less stressful and it would run at a decent speed on a washing machine. Unfortunately, if you're playing a server that requires hardware acceleration, your options are limited to VMs that handle it fine.
Sidenote: the top right buttons for posts don't work in IE8. (don't ask, I'm posting from my XP for BYOND VM)
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
There were indeed three new DLLs included in BYOND as of the newer builds. I would hazard a guess that those WINE instructions need to be updated.

Although I don't work with WINE, I did find info in the winetricks script that suggests that if winetricks is up to date, all you should have to do is change vcrun6 to vcrun2013. All I did to find that was search for "mfc120" in the script and it came right up.

This is definitely working. I'm now on the latest version, perfectly functional with not a bug in sight.
Had the same issue. However, now after downloading "game information" "BYOND" automatically "closing" and working as "background" process.

How can I fix this? I'm using "Ubuntu" lesser than 2 days, so, please - don't be harsh on me.

Sorry for my English.
In response to CyanTea
How can I fix this?
Ran another essence of "BYOND" within already running, through "Wine Desktop". Working fine for unknown reason. I'm kind of glad.

Sorry for my English.