ID:1910811

Hey guys, as I write this, I was wondering what you guys thought about Linux. I'm thinking of switching since I do not want to pay $120 on Windows 10 (I got through non-genuine means) What are the pros and cons of Linux vs Windows? What would you choose? All I know is that Linux is much better for coding, but I need some insight on this.
Screw Ubuntu, install gentoo.
What .. Do you specifically want to do on your PC?

Linux is fine for a lot of things, most people would dual boot to play Windows games.. But again. Really depends on what you want to do.
Before committing to installing any GNU/Linux distro on your computer, please run it for a while on a VM like VirtualBox. It'll help you decide if it's what you want.
Well, I had thoughts of setting up a Private Server and modding this one game on the side. I heard it was easier in Linux. Mostly, I need a computer for coding. The only games I play are Runescape and World of Warcraft.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and to run BYOND :P
Runescape runs on Java, so you can run it on pretty much any OS. There's also a guide on installing WoW on Ubuntu.

Of course, like for WoW, you're going to need WINE for most other things. I haven't heard many good things about running BYOND on GNU/Linux, though.
Linux is very enjoyable. You just need to remember one thing.

It's not windows.

This means you need to go in with realistic expectations. While there is a very enjoyable experience waiting for you, it's not going to behave exactly like windows does. (particularly if you pick a distro with something like Gnome on it.)

If you don't care that your not going to be able to run every single program around - you'll probably enjoy a linux OS. If you you do care about that - stick with the corporate money making machine.

(BYOND, for example will not work very well on linux - even with WINE - a compatibility layer for windows software)

Linux does offer a ton of variety, freedom and choice.For example, In cinnamon (mint's main desktop environment) there are tons of themes, extensions, applets, desklets, icon sets, window borders and control themes for you to choose from.

Linux OS's are also typically very light on resources. So, older hardware can probably be revived and will be able to run modern tech again. Linux OS's are efficient.

I personally recommend linux mint (cinnamon) if your wanting something that works out of the box. It's based on Ubuntu and it's the most popular linux OS atm. It has some great tools going for it as well.

If your a gamer - get a dual boot with windows going so you can still play major releases. In fact, as a general rule of thumb - if you think you'll miss something on windows, just keep a dual boot around for that purpose so that you don't miss out.

Disclaimer:I do personally use linux mint as my current OS, along with a win8 dual boot for gaming.

Happy hacking.