ID:260640

Is this on the list?

I would like to be able to dynamically load .dmm files by using a simple procedure. i.e. world.loadmap(map) where map is either a file or a string (which contains map data).

I'm aware that there are libraries out there like dmp_reader, but they're usually slow to use and don't support all the features (i.e. multidimensional lists).

Would it be possible to make a simple loadmap procedure that would load .dmm files "the BYOND way" or is this just wishful thinking?
I was just thinking of something where this could be a solution. One thing is, I'd like to be able to have it so you can choose what z the first z would z assigned to, so you could choose 6 and 1 and 2 would be from map.dmm or whatever, and 6, 7, and 8 would be from the map you loaded, for example. 3, 4, 5, and 6 would be blank.

A related concept, can you have it so that each mob would have a separate version of a z. So that if some one tries to kill you at the character select screen, there's no one else there, even if some one else is also making a character. Also, it'd allow for single player games being played on the same server where, even though they aren't interacting with each others' characters, they could chat. Global variables would still be modified like normal, however.
In response to Guy Hendricks
Guy Hendricks wrote:
I was just thinking of something where this could be a solution. One thing is, I'd like to be able to have it so you can choose what z the first z would z assigned to, so you could choose 6 and 1 and 2 would be from map.dmm or whatever, and 6, 7, and 8 would be from the map you loaded, for example. 3, 4, 5, and 6 would be blank.

I wouldn't mind filtering out Z levels for dynamic loading, but I think the numbering should remain the same -- if I load Z levels 4 to 7, I'd want them to remain numbered 4 to 7, instead of 1 to 4.

A related concept, can you have it so that each mob would have a separate version of a z. So that if some one tries to kill you at the character select screen, there's no one else there, even if some one else is also making a character.

This is simply game programmer shortsightedness and can be prevented with very little effort on their part.

Also, it'd allow for single player games being played on the same server where, even though they aren't interacting with each others' characters, they could chat. Global variables would still be modified like normal, however.

The concept sounds quite diluted -- make a game multi-player or not, mixing both is silly. There's also methods to create a "global" chat that works on multiple servers simultaneously, allowing chatting between entirely separate servers.