ID:265810

Has anybody seen one?

An icon editor like IcoFX (that is, acts like the default icon editor included with DreamMaker) which allows you to make bigger-than-32x32 icons with frames, possibly allowing you export them in PNG and possibly even DMI format? (by saving to PNG preserving BYOND's comments?)

Right now I'm working an icon which has a rather large animation with lots of flickering lights and whatnot. But everytime I do this I have to export to PNG (to preserve transparency) and IcoFX does not support the "shift up" function as DreamMaker's icon editor does (whereby you can select a piece of an icon and move it up).
After doing that I have to go back to DreamMakers' icon editor and import the DMI. Then I need to switch to another DM Icon Editor window and tilt up the chunk of the image I have copied. Then I need to copy that image and paste it in MS Paint (because for some reason it won't paste properly in IcoFX) and paste & re-copy it. Then I need to paste it in IcoFX and put it back into place.

... really annoying when you have to repeat the same process about 30 times.

-- Data
I think DM just needs a better icon editor. Possibly more tools, but definitely a magnifying glass.
All I want is an icon editor like the DM icon editor which can edit larger-than-32x32 icons. <_<

Can't BYOND Staff put this in? :(

-- Data
In response to Android Data
And all I want is an icon editor that supports PNG comments and alpha transparancy.

=P
In response to Android Data
Yeah.... it would be nice if in the next release we had an option to edit icons larger than 32x32
Why don't you just edit the .dmi file directly in PaintShopPro or Photoshop or GIMP or something? It's just a png with all of the frames in a strip. You'll just have to make sure you preserve the comments in the PNG, because that's what makes it a DMI.
In response to Tom
Thing is Tom, Photoshop does not preserve the comments and I can't find a way to do so.
In response to Iuss
Iuss wrote:
Thing is Tom, Photoshop does not preserve the comments and I can't find a way to do so.

Well, you can edit a big image in photoshop and just import it into a new DMI by assigning the correct width & height in the boxes.
In response to Iuss
I'm sure something like that exists. Not sure where.
In response to Kaiochao2536
Why would it put good to magnify it wouldnt make much of a diffrence as they are pixals....?
Android Data wrote:
Has anybody seen one?

An icon editor like IcoFX (that is, acts like the default icon editor included with DreamMaker) which allows you to make bigger-than-32x32 icons with frames, possibly allowing you export them in PNG and possibly even DMI format? (by saving to PNG preserving BYOND's comments?)

Ok, when you say 'acts like the default icon editor', I'm not sure what specific features you're looking for, but...

... really annoying when you have to repeat the same process about 30 times.

-- Data

if I'm understanding you're process, I have a suggestion:

Now, I know switching editing tools (of any type - ascii, word processing, bitmap, etc.) isn't all that fun, but the one I'll suggest might just help in this case (and when you get used to it, you may even prefer it). Graphics Gale is a lil' Japanese number (with an English version) that's been around since the days of SVGA and Super Nintendo, I believe.

It supports PNG, BMP, and GIF (in the paid version).
It supports 1,4,8,16, and 24 (true color) bit bitmaps.
It supports alpha transparency.
...and a lot more (do I sound like an infomercial, yet?)

But! Here's where it may help you in your situation:
With both the DM IDE and GG open, copy your icon from the IDE (in the icon_state view (obviously)), switch to GG, use the function called 'paste as a new image' (it looks like a small camera with the flash going off). This will create a new image (in this case, 24 bit with alpha). Then, under the menu 'all frames', hit the scroll option. A dialog will come up that will allow you (with preview) to 'shift' the pic pixel by pixel. When it's how you want it, click 'select all' from the edit menu, switch back to the IDE, and paste the new frame (or paste over the old one).

Transparency is preserved and no import/export or MSPain (not misspelled) is involved. That should simplify the process.

On a side note, I think this same method will work with GIMP.