ID:3851

The new comment tracking system mentioned previously is just about ready. Now I just need some volunteers to test it.

If you go to http://test.byond.com/members/, you'll be able to use the new system. You can edit your site to set new options:

• Automatically subscribe to comment threads for your own posts (checking this preserves the current behavior)
  • Automatically subscribe to comment threads that you comment on (New!)
  • Send an email when someone comments on a subscribed comment thread (same as current "Send an email when someone comments on your blog posts")
  • Send an email when a friend posts a new blog entry (New!)
  • Send a pager message when someone comments on a subscribed comment thread (same as current "Send a pager message when someone comments on your blog posts")
  • Send a pager message when a friend posts a new blog entry (New!)

To get notifications on new comments, you "subscribe" to a post's comment thread. Preserving the current behavior, you automatically subscribe to your own posts' comment threads, but you can now turn that off (before going live with this change, I'll add subscriptions for all old posts where applicable). You also get a new button on every comment page to subscribe or unsubscribe.

Anyone who wants to test the system, please browse using the test site. All content is the same, but any posts or comments you make will trigger the new notification system. I have some debugging statements in to verify that everything happens properly. Do note that any posts or comments made using the regular site will still go through the old notification system.

All feedback is welcome!
Cool!
Cool, how about contributor's get an email if there contributed post is commented on. I don't think it does that.
Cool, how about contributor's get an email if there contributed post is commented on. I don't think it does that.

The new options allow for that:

- Automatically subscribe to comment threads for your own posts
Sadly, no, I'm not notified. :(
I've subscribed to this comment thread, and I have "Send a pager message when someone comments on a subscribed comment thread" checked, but I haven't gotten any pages about it.
Sadly, no, I'm not notified. :(

Yes you are. :) The logs indicate that you should have received a pager message if you were online when I posted my first reply (the log didn't indicate whether you were online then - if not, nothing was sent).

You appear to be online now, so here's another try.
Yay. It worked that time. :) I've had the pager running all day, so I should have been online.