ID:51757

Basically, in the past week or so I have converted D&Ds game system into the basic frame work for a BYOND game.

It almost perfectly imitates everytiing D&D does, except I have made some changes that I found to be... Redundant in D&D. Hence I call the system MD&D (My D&D). This basically means some things are made... Less useless, and useless things wont be included. It also means that things that are very similar in nature (such as two classes) will either be merged, or they will be altered in a way that makes them significantly different.

It also does not have the insane amount of content that D&D does (like 700 classes, 2600 feats and 3.2 million magic spells, but it does have systems to add those fairly easily). Because lets face it, adding EVERYTHING would take years to do (I have 14 GB of books about D&D on my computer, no way am I going through and adding everything each of them has).

Anyway, the game plays like a basic RPG, except combat is similar to a tactical based RPG that would use D&Ds rules. Even though it is 2D an in a overhead view it tries to imitate terrain elevation (if your climb skill is high enough, you can climb up a cliff otherwise you have to walk around, if you walk or get knocked off a cliff, you take damage). Similarly, certain skills you have will allow you to travel across normally tough or inaccessible terrain types (jumping over chasms or swimming for example).
Other than that it is similar to most any tactical RPG you may find around. Each player has a turn, where they can move within a limited area and make a single action that turn, then someone else takes a turn where they can do the same.

Anyway, the question is. What do I turn this into?
At the moment the only sort of game I do not want to do is a MORPG of any scale. I am leaning more towards a single player (possible 1-5 player) RPG, that will have a central storyline to follow (though if possible, I will give it an element of freedom and allow players to explore, since I love open ended RPGs).
Or should I do something else? (It could possibly work as a Roguelike) If so, what?
Allow me to cast my vote for "Roguelike".

Basically, players create a character (Or number of characters) at the local guildhouse. They can take those characters into dungeons, which are generated automatically (Perhaps with the theme selected by the player - they can take their character to an ice cave, or a volcano, or a goblin fortress), in a level-appropriate and number-of-players appropriate way - you can form parties with other people currently online and team up to take on dungeons. Perhaps some sort of CPU-controlled party-members or partying-with-your-own-guild system will be necessary to avoid problems some classes have in solo play (Like low-level wizards).

Dungeons would have scenario stuff generated with them - it's not just go through, kill goblins, the goblins would set traps, NPCs to talk to would be generated, etc. etc.
MMO-likes have more of a presence on BYOND, but if you could just limit it to a certain number of partied players that may cross borders into rouge-likes.

I would recommend handing it off above ditching it entirely (if that happens to be the case). I know you're one of the brighter BYONDers and if worse comes to worst at least we'd have a more viable source then Zeta floating around.
YMIHere wrote:
MMO-likes have more of a presence on BYOND, but if you could just limit it to a certain number of partied players that may cross borders into rouge-likes.

I have no particular intention of making any sort of game that can be played in a large scaled multiplayer world.
At the most the limit would be 5 players, and those 5 players would HAVE to play together, not do their own thing.

I would recommend handing it off above ditching it entirely (if that happens to be the case). I know you're one of the brighter BYONDers and if worse comes to worst at least we'd have a more viable source then Zeta floating around.

I have no intention of giving the source out to anyone to be honest. Though the code is neater and easier to read that what I usually produce (and is largely commented on) I still have no intention of letting anyone, other than myself have access to the code.

Even if I did decide to give it out, it is never going to be a "more viable source than Zeta".
It is D&D based, which means anyone who has no knowledge of D&D would find it hard to work with.
All the systems and mechanics in the game are linked together, minor changes in one place could have major effects in another area (gameplay wise).
Not to toot my own whistle, but I suspect it is a hell of a lot more complex than any Zeta rip and more complex than most anime games. Though I have tried to make it as simple as possible to use, so making a game with it is easy, but it makes major use of things I doubt most rippers have never even heard of in BYOND (everything in the game is raw data stored in datums, classes, feats, spells, items, quests, dialoug, status effects and systems like the combat system, party system, so on, unless you are familiar with datums and how they work, you couldn't use the source code to do anything).

Also, I have no problems with ditching the source code so it never gets used either. I've done it before, with actual playable games (which I also spent money on) with little problem. I can easily do it with this.

But yeah. If I don't use it, no one is, and at the moment, I have not decided on what to use it for, other than it wont be for a large scale multiplayer game.
Also, here is an example of what I have done so far in terms of playability (I have all the systems in place, but no real way for players to interact with them).

http://www.byond.com/members/TheMagicMan/files/charcr1.png

This is selecting basic stuff, a name, gender, age and race. Adding new races is as simple as entering a few numbers at the moment. More complex races may require other things to be added though.

http://www.byond.com/members/TheMagicMan/files/charcr2.png

Selecting an alignment.

http://www.byond.com/members/TheMagicMan/files/charcr3.png

And a class. Again, adding classes is as easy as entering a few numbers (and feats).
It is actually so easy to make a class that I could with relative ease add a system to a game that would allow players to make and share their own. (Same for races)

http://www.byond.com/members/TheMagicMan/files/charcr4.png

Increasing stats.

http://www.byond.com/members/TheMagicMan/files/charcr5.png

Skills.

http://www.byond.com/members/TheMagicMan/files/charcr6.png

And finally feats. There are several other feats added here that are not added due to requirements not being met.

Anyway, you get the idea. Somethings need to be added (lots of stuff without descriptions, and just lots of stuff missing), and there is a lot that needs to be added in relation to player interactivity, but that wont take more than a week to make.
Once all that is done it is ready to be turned into a playable game.
cool, i tried making' a 3rd ed D&D game in byond too. Got pretty far too, check it out
http://www.byond.com/games/GauHelldragon/Firma
Sounds impressive, to say the least. I would suggest you allow some sort of map/scenario creator/editor. One of the fun things I remember from D&D was the flexibility of setting up dungeons. Keep the type of play(small party) there, although there should be a place(a lobby, perhaps?) where players can meet up to go out on these quests and the like.