ID:51827

Well things have seemed to really changed over the years for the byond DW community. First we saw DWO die out followed by DWQ. SoE took top spot for a long time but not even that has died out. Most of the smaller games that had a good shot have died out like DQ:NML and DQ:TDA. Now when I look I do see DWO hosted with usually no players. SoE sometimes with 5 players, but it seems to dropped to 2 and now I have been seeing 0-1.
As for updates, without news on SoE's state, only DWHD2 receives updates. Now is the time to show off your new work and time to announce my membership is running out and I do not have a way to pay for it again for a while.
I don't want to see this trend of DW gaming on byond die out. We must keep the community alive.
I can't go into any details, but I will say that the DQ gaming genre is not going out without a bang. There is a game in particular that will do so.
The community must stay together. DWHD2 will hold things together as well as possible since it is the only online game to receive updates. It would be nice to have another DW/DQ game in production along side it. Whenever we had 2 updating games side to side the communities' numbers stayed higher.

As the person who started the Dragon Warrior community on BYOND, I'm happy to see it die. Most developers made DW games simply because DWO was popular, and not because they had any intention of making an actual fan game. Good riddance to the plague of crappy games that just happened to make use of Dragon Warrior graphics.
DWHD wasn't made cuz of DWO. It was made to be a true fan game and will stay that way. If it carries the byond DW alone, then it will do it, and do it the right way. I don't like seeing games trying to capture the success of other's but instead should be true to what they are based on. So few byond DW games have done that, DWO, DWHD, and DQ:NML are the only 3 I seen worthy of that honor.

As this may be true, I for one have been a DW/DQ fan before I ever set foot in BYOND back in 01-02. The project that is being worked on through me and a few others is a fan game using dq graphics and will have the sense of dw/dq games. I have no intenion of making it based off of DWO or any other DW/DQ type game from BYOND. Hearing that you want it to die saddens me since you put that much effort into your games.

SilkWizard wrote:
As the person who started the Dragon Warrior community on BYOND, I'm happy to see it die. Most developers made DW games simply because DWO was popular, and not because they had any intention of making an actual fan game. Good riddance to the plague of crappy games that just happened to make use of Dragon Warrior graphics.

Not to say your games are bad DP, but I would have to say the only game that ever got my attention and felt like a dw game was DWO. Yours just has too much stuff in it has way too much content for just one game. Also your maps are way too colorful you have like forests, deserts, swamps, marsh , and oceans all on the same screen all the time per area sorta blinding and confusing. SoE is more of a MMO that uses dw/dq icons its not even a dw game feels like. Frankly your games are crossing over into that territory.

Dpheonix7 wrote:
DWHD wasn't made cuz of DWO. It was made to be a true fan game and will stay that way. If it carries the byond DW alone, then it will do it, and do it the right way. I don't like seeing games trying to capture the success of other's but instead should be true to what they are based on. So few byond DW games have done that, DWO, DWHD, and DQ:NML are the only 3 I seen worthy of that honor.

Not to say your games are bad DP, but I would have to say the only game that ever got my attentio nand felt liek a dw game was DWO. Yous just has too much stuff in it has way too much content for just one game. Also your maps are way too colorful you have like forests, deserts, swamps, marsh , and oceans all on teh same screen all the time per area sorta blinding and confusing. SoE is more of a MMO that uses dw/dq icons its not even a dw game feels like. Frankly your games are crossing over into that territory.

Dpheonix7 wrote:

I might tend to use alot of different terrains instead of making huge areas of just a few types. As for MMO, DWHD isnt close. I have taken steps to avoid being more MMOish. Last 10 versions alone where major attempts to make the game more like an actual Dragon Warrior then updates have in the past. Past guilds (that don't get used and have no point in being in) what do you see that makes the game more MMOish?
I can't be specific or pinpoint some things but I can say that it just does not have the same feeling a DW/DQ game has. Maybe being all over the map, and the terrain crosses, i don't know I just know saying that it has standards of being a great DW game im sorry I have to disagree with that. Like I said its just my opinion and shouldn't be taken harshly, still a great game though.
Dpheonix7 wrote:
I might tend to use alot of different terrains instead of making huge areas of just a few types. As for MMO, DWHD isnt close. I have taken steps to avoid being more MMOish. Last 10 versions alone where major attempts to make the game more like an actual Dragon Warrior then updates have in the past. Past guilds (that don't get used and have no point in being in) what do you see that makes the game more MMOish?

The world maps are posted on the website for everyone to view. I don't know how much of the game you have actually seen, though I know it's little. My mapping usually get's a lot better after getting out of the newbie areas. DWHD1 did have that issue though it's not seen because I kept using the same world map for the first 3 complete recodes of the game and used different starting areas.
DWHD2 uses an intro quest idea that was ment to take up little of the world map and just has it's areas kinda condensed for this quest. After words when quests deal with people that have been playing and know the game well, it opens up more and the maps take on a better look.