Lige wrote:
I think it's worth it. Artwork on Suukou Faita- has already been ripped, however production still continues.

As for the anime games, if it's your dream to make a fan-based game, go for it. I was in the process of making a DBZ game until the funimation whatnot happened - although I think you'd get more support for an original idea.

Suukou Faita got ripped already? Lol I thought people would at least wait until it was released.
It was a little bit after we released a screenshot. The ripper posted it on his portfolio on wayofthepixel.net.
If you don't want people to "rip" your work, then make it harder for them to do this. You can do his by making your game hard to rip, or by making something that people don't want to rip.

If you make a game that's essentially an anime-themed chatroom with an attack command (and GM commands), people will rip it because the anime-theme is appealing, the game is easy to copy, and people want to be GM. Most "developers" make it even easier by posting their mob icons on their blog for people to critique, but this just makes it even easier to rip.

Decadence and NEStalgia just aren't appealing to rip. Both are significant creations that couldn't be replicated in an afternoon. Both don't use appealing franchises (they'd probably inspire more rips if they were counterstrike and DW games). Both of them are actual games with gameplay - the fun of the game is the gameplay, not being GM. Because you can have fun as a player, there's no reason to copy the game just so you can be GM.

If you're going to make a good game you don't have anything to worry about. If you're worrying, maybe you should reconsider the project you have in mind.
Forum_account wrote:
If you don't want people to "rip" your work, then make it harder for them to do this. You can do his by making your game hard to rip, or by making something that people don't want to rip.

If you make a game that's essentially an anime-themed chatroom with an attack command (and GM commands), people will rip it because the anime-theme is appealing, the game is easy to copy, and people want to be GM. Most "developers" make it even easier by posting their mob icons on their blog for people to critique, but this just makes it even easier to rip.

Decadence and NEStalgia just aren't appealing to rip. Both are significant creations that couldn't be replicated in an afternoon. Both don't use appealing franchises (they'd probably inspire more rips if they were counterstrike and DW games). Both of them are actual games with gameplay - the fun of the game is the gameplay, not being GM. Because you can have fun as a player, there's no reason to copy the game just so you can be GM.

If you're going to make a good game you don't have anything to worry about. If you're worrying, maybe you should reconsider the project you have in mind.

~I wish people would stop using NEStalgia as an example o-o I've said it countless times I don't consider it a good game. But yeah I see what you mean. WELL, I guess i'll spend the next 48 hours coming up with a basic design.doc
What do you consider a good game? You mentioned 4 games earlier that you said had good designers. Who are these people and what are these games you're referring to?
EmpirezTeam wrote:
What do you consider a good game? You mentioned 4 games earlier that you said had good designers. Who are these people and what are these games you're referring to?

Actually, I said I could think of 3-4 Anime games with good designs,coding,etc. Since I was talking about "real developers" automatically looking down on people who create anime games.

Enzuigiri wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:

Actually, I said I could think of 3-4 Anime games with good designs,coding,etc. Since I was talking about "real developers" automatically looking down on people who create anime games.

What are the games though? I'm trying to see your example of a "good game".
Enzuigiri wrote:
~I wish people would stop using NEStalgia as an example o-o I've said it countless times I don't consider it a good game. But yeah I see what you mean. WELL, I guess i'll spend the next 48 hours coming up with a basic design.doc

They're excellent examples of games that are rip-resistant. It doesn't matter if you think they're good or bad, you can still learn from them.
Its not worth making a BYOND game. Use that time to learn a skill you'll actually use in your life.
I dunno Yash, software engineering has to start somewhere. Lord knows, enough start on VB.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Enzuigiri wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:

What are the games though? I'm trying to see your example of a "good game".

DMG for one has a pretty good design. GOA before kobata took over(about 3-4 years ago) was good. I liked the whole team based system. No OOC you could only talk to your village, run missions with your village, wars, etc etc. No logs, no OHKOing people. Those are pretty much the only 2 anime games I find worth mentioning and GOA isn't even like that anymore lol.
I would say that DBZ game from Inferno L Flames is was one of the few good fan games. It was called Dragonball Tournament Fighters 2.
Stephen001 wrote:
I dunno Yash, software engineering has to start somewhere. Lord knows, enough start on VB.

Well the only exception is if you're actually going to be a software engineer. Don't get me wrong, go ahead and make a small mini game, I'm just saying don't try to make a full blown game because the chances of it being complete are slim to none. Just look at the countless examples.
I can agree there at least, Yash. The massive MMO-style RPG thing is very difficult to pull off, and any successful teams we've had for it tended to have a decent amount of prior experience, and money.
Professional Game makers always take the "goods" from one game and try to input it better than other games, though some end up obviously copying. You can't prevent it, I think "some" people on Byond create copies of a game because they love the game, but they (Wantz Admonz) or don't like "this", "that", or perhaps the old game doesn't exist anymore and they wanna revive it.

Icons are easier for the noobs to rip into their games if it's 32x32 and then I also heard and seen code tricks that screw up picture copied icons. (Print Screen or whatever)

Of course you could just stray away from a set Anime idea and really do something more original. (i.e. Fantasie)
Page: 1 2 3