Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2061772

With another productive week behind us today makes our 16th consecutive devlog. That's four months of work. Today also means that LoF has been in development for about seven months now.

Enough beating around the bush. This week we continued our experiments of hand-drawn maps vs tile maps. So far we've been able to produce a couple maps using the hand drawn method. IF there's one thing I do like is that this method gives you a lot more freedom when compared to conventional tiled maps. Vs the old method where we were mapping objects and plotting everything on a grid, I believe this brings out a lot more creative freedom especially with how maps are connected, and definitely bring out a new method of exploration element into Land of Fire.

Here's a looksie into one of the maps Pixelcomet spent a couple days on -

The tutorial area is starting to take shape as we begin to introduce different types of enemies.

This week, I spent some time working on two very necessary systems for online play.
Currently the respawn system is incredibly generic and follows by standard MMORPG rules, but this will change. Something along the lines of being knocked out a few times, having some form of struggle (no button mashing) and eventually being defeated and forced to respawn. The complete mechanic hasn't been fully discussed with the team so it's up for discussion and suggestions.

Here's a gif of me being ganged up by a couple of dark forest mercenaries and being greeted by the respawn window.

The Party system is a new addition that I believed was vital. For a few not yet shown regions, players might want to team up with friends in order to overcome certain challenges. At the moment, the party system doesn't do much special besides give you immunity to team attacks, share EXP, and monitor teammates' stats. Parties can fight against other parties which would be very interesting to see in action.

and here's what that UI currently looks like:

With those, I recently fine tuned the pixel collision system at play -

And using that, we have recently added an automated elevation system (needs polish) which can easily allow free-jumping in the future.

Meanwhile SulLight has been busy doing an awesome job setting up the village NPCs!

Maria -

Suki -

Amano & Kibe

I'd also like to present our TIG Source, where we will actively post updates throughout the week! Be sure to check us out at https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54594.0 .

Can't wait for this masterpiece.

As for your party system:
Add some synergies. For example if you have a wind-user and a fire-user their respective damage is increased by 10%. Or maybe certain clans that go way above their limits when together.
I would also like to see an exp-bonus for having a bigger party. Party size depends on the party leaders rank.

As for the respawns I would just add the option to be revived 1 time only

What I would like to see and what can be an income source would be different animations for your substitution jutsu. for exmaple water clone substitution, lightning clone etc. I would pay money for that :)!
Shellfisch said:
As for your party system:
Add some synergies. For example if you have a wind-user and a fire-user their respective damage is increased by 10%. Or maybe certain clans that go way above their limits when together.
I would also like to see an exp-bonus for having a bigger party. Party size depends on the party leaders rank.

Agreed.

As for the respawns I would just add the option to be revived 1 time only

If anything, I'd rather a system that made reviving someone multiple times exponentially harder. For example, the first revive may be relatively easy for an arbitrary medic; the second revive would be harder, requiring more medical mastery for success, and so on.

Keep it up, LOF team.
In response to Shellfisch
I'd pay for this as well
@Shellfisch: we're still actively working on how we want knockouts and deaths in general to work. Perma death and semi perma-death mechanics were tabled in discussions but haven't really moved past just talks. But I do like the idea of limited amount of times you can be revived through medical ninjutsu.

@FKI: That is also something I'd like to table.
are u sure this is gunna run well in a multiplayer setting? i mean not to hate as im excited for this but im really skeptical about it
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
are u sure this is gunna run well in a multiplayer setting? i mean not to hate as im excited for this but im really skeptical about it

It will run fine.
This is looking dope guys...everything looks clean and smooth.
spend time so much time to create a game (you should sell it to a videogame company... anyway a few of pictures dont mean nothing, we have to play it for say- yes,good game!!-
agreed, and soon... soon >:3
Im curious if you guys hand draw the maps then how exactly do you bring them into the dreammakers map itself? do you break it into chunks or do you just add the whole thing as one big piece? and what size map is it? and doesn't it lag with such a big image or image chunks being added to the map?
No we import the entire image. We create different layers in the graphics editting program[in this case gale/ photoshop]

Each layer is on a different plane which kinda acts like layers. From there we map in object bounds and it basically functions the same way as a tiled map. But look much better in my opinion. Here's a gif to help explain the process.

The larger images are actually more efficient than using a tile map. I'm not a programmer so i can't give you an in depth explanation of how this sorcery is performed.

ah impressive so how many planes do you guys end up using im guessing like over 30?
It varies depending on the map. So far each are averaging like 20 or so layers.