ID:151635

I'm seeking out new features to add into my game. I wan't to know if anybody could make any suggestions for thing's you would like to see in a Dragonball Z game that you haven't seen before, or that very few games have. Preferably new concepts, not just "U SHULD AD PBAGS". Thanks.

Note: Please no trolling this thread.
Interactive training.
Enviorment actually affecting character.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Interactive training.
Enviorment actually affecting character.

I already have that. You must defeat talk to a certain NPC, kill the amount of monsters, and type of monsters, that he specify's, and if you finish it you get Experience. Then you do the same for a different NPC. Every time it's a new type of monster, amount of monsters, and more experience.
In response to Cyberlord34
...That's not what I ment, at all.
Super Saiyan X wrote:
...That's not what I ment, at all.

What did you mean?
In response to Cyberlord34
Enviorment affecting character:
If it's hot outside, you'll gain more x, but lose y.
If it's cold outside, you'll lose y, but gain more resistance against x.
ect.
Interactive training:
Enter commands/buttons to move rocks
Dodge lasers with timing and such
ect.
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Enviorment affecting character:
If it's hot outside, you'll gain more x, but lose y.
If it's cold outside, you'll lose y, but gain more resistance against x.
ect.
Interactive training:
Enter commands/buttons to move rocks
Dodge lasers with timing and such
ect.

Oh, I see. Alright, thanks.
I just starting LOLing. Interactive... training? What? Why do you even WANT training?
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Most unfortunately, 'training' has been stained due to the massive grind feast implementations usually seen across the average games.
The problem is that people see a 'nice feature' and then, similar to source code, copy it without a second thought.
Garthor left a nice remark on these forums, which I can't find right now, so please excuse me for not supplying a direct quote. Something along the lines of... if you want to implement a feature, make sure that it benefits the fun-factor of your game.

I'll provide you with a good example of training and a bad one, for the sake of explanation. In Minions, you gain experience permanently, but double the normal amount if you are in direct combat with an enemy and triple if you are attempting to destroy a turret.
This is beneficial for the game, since it opens new strategies (do I try to level on killing that turret, on the risk of the enemy team rushing my base and winning, or do I risk being out-leveled). You aren't forced to do something you might not enjoy like with the bad example of hitting a 'pbag' in some DBZ rip repeatedly, only to be capable of playing the game in a competitive style later on.
U SHULD ADD PBAGS

Enough retardedness, now for a real suggestion!

Add Interactive Enviroment (Not like the example Saiyan gave)
I.e
Fire can start, and spread to other areas that are flammable
Areas can flood providing natural barriers against players who can't fly yet
Drought can do the opposite of the above!
Craters (like dbz rips -.-) but they don't go away after X time, and players get penaltys for leaving lots of messy craters/destroyed trees/detroyed WHATEVER, but they can all be fixed if the player takes the time to do so.

Things which make the enviroment always different, makes the world that little more random and exciting.
I'd really like to see a FUN battle system that reflected the action shown in the anime. Good luck though, because even the main stream games that I've played on PS3 have failed to really impress me in this respect!

Good graphics are NOT a must. Those pumping out "DBZ Super Saiyan 72 Shodugun" seem to vaguely increase the graphics each time, which is good thing, but nowhere near as good as a decent battle/roleplay system.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Why do you even WANT training?

Yes, why would you even WANT character progression?
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Why do you even WANT training?

Character Progression is an interesting subject. Compare these two paradigms.

A knight practises his sword technique for eight hours in a day, five days in a week. He moderately increases his ability with a sword.

A knight finds that bandits have killed his son and stolen his wife, in the week that follows he hunts them down and rescues his wife.

Which do you think really evolves the knight as a character? Which is the truer image of character progression?
In response to Kaioken
So now training/grinding (same thing, really) is now character progression? I played a few of the DBZ games on the Wii. Every character played completely different, upping their stats was quite possible with equipable items. No grinding to get to lv938494928982, or anything.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
So now training/grinding (same thing, really) is now character progression?

You mistake implementation and concept.
The fact that a concept is often found to be implemented in a subjectively bad way likely hints at the concept being tricky to implement properly, but not that the concept as such is to be condemned.
In response to Ease
Um, I quite obviously didn't refer to character progression as in a character evolving in literature, since it was expressed to be attained through training (for one). I believe the term "character development" is more appropriate for what you speak of.
At any case, I'd expect this DBZ game's characters to completely lack any... character (or plot), as traditional. In the vast majority of BYOND games characters are barely given any depth at all, let alone developed.
Not that they have to be, since they're games, not stories. Having a story in your game is completely optional.

As for your questions, there is character progression in both scenarios. If you ask in which the character is developed further, then it's likely to be the second, but that entirely depends on how the 2 scenarios are delivered. You seem to have entirely missed this crucial point, but luckily we aren't in literature class.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
So now training/grinding (same thing, really) is now character progression?

Needless to say, it obviously typically leads to character progression. As to whether you get 'grinding' or not, that depends on how you do your things. Training can be pulled off naturally. But then again, it also depends what you classify as grinding.
Considering that in order to progress, you have to fulfill a requirement(s) (otherwise you'd constantly progress without doing anything, which would be boringly pointless), and then after you do so, in order to progress again, you, of course, have to fulfill a requirement(s) again - then you could classify absolutely everything as grinding if you wanted to ("I have to do the same thing over and over in order to progress!").
Is grinding even bad (especially considering that perhaps "everything is grinding")? Why can't grinding be a fun or transparent part in a game? Of course, it already is, in some games, hence they are well-received despite the 'grind' existing in them.
Hey, grinding is realistic. It's the same in real life! You have to do exercises over and over again to become fit. If your game has such a grind, you can take it as a bonus and write that your game is realistic!!

Every character played completely different,

(Variations are great, but aren't relevant to the current discussion)

upping their stats was quite possible with equipable items.

This is more character customization, since there is no permanent (or semi-permanent) character progression; you get a temporary boost to stat X while item Y is equipped, using up slot Z.

No grinding to get to lv938494928982, or anything.

Which, of course, means you stay at level 1 forever. =P However, that's no issue for that type of game.
In response to Kaioken
Chill amigo!

Um, I quite obviously didn't refer to character progression...

One line, with a relatively vague tone, doesn't OBVIOUSLY convey anything.

Regardless, I'll always find a game with engaging missions and some semblance of plot much more interesting than a game filled with continuous training, and I believe most players feel the same way.

I feel so lucky this isn't a literature class, seriously!!

^_^
In response to Ease
Ease wrote:
Chill amigo!

I wonder how you deduce from a piece of dry text with no hints of emotion that I 'need to chill' and am not at perfect peace with the universe. What, do I have to include a couple of smileys in every paragraph in every post to indicate that I am relaxed? Sorry, that's silly and isn't my thing.

One line, with a relatively vague tone, doesn't OBVIOUSLY convey anything.

You see, in order to figure out more about the meaning of a piece of text or a line or word, we humans typically make use of this thing called context.

Regardless, I'll always find a game with engaging missions and some semblance of plot much more interesting than a game filled with continuous training, and I believe most players feel the same way.

Who knows? That's a generalizing, and probably not thought-out statement. For one, a game can have a plot, missions/quests as well as continuous training. One doesn't exclude the other. Again, 'training' can be pulled off in a fun or seamless manner. Even if your character is training all the time, you actually may not notice if you are focused on the other aspects of the game, such as quests.
If you don't understand, look at the Elder Scrolls games for reference.
In response to Kaioken
I personally think training is fine in small doses. Take an RPG for instance, unless it was made intentionally super hard, you generally only should train one or two levels per new area, then your set. If you don't run away from encounters, you should be fine (of course, if I beat the game under the max level, let me have the option to grind to it if wanted).

Of course, that's assuming turn-based and such, no idea how it would convert well to real-time action like these DBZ games.