ID:183658

I've been looking around for information on domain name registration sites, and I have not had good fortune. I have found very few reasons given why one place is better or worse than another.

Does anyone have any reliable insight as to where I should go? I don't want any extra packages, just a domain name.
www.tk + www.geocities.com =
free websites with the only downside being the ending is .tk.
In response to Darkdemonrad
Not to mention the lack of domain control, PHP, MySQL, Perl, and any other language. Plus bandwidth and size limits that no real website could put up with.
In response to Darkdemonrad
He wants a domain name, not a website. Also .tk puts really annoying ads on your site. I know register.com will do it for you.
Well, there are some sits that work better than others. I, personally, like Dreamhosts. They have a very clear and clean interface. I used godaddy, but it was clogged down with ads for their own servers to the point it was almost unusable.

There have been a few websites that got in deep trouble for misleading customers or trying to lock them into that site.
In response to Danial.Beta
I'm looking now at that one (dreamhoster) and at 1and1, but seeing the features has gotten me confused. On the 1and1 features list it says your domain can have up to 5 subdomains and that you get email capability with a 1GB limit.

I'm looking at just domain name registration, nothing else. I was under the impression that once I had a domain name registered that pointed to my server, I could then use my server computer to keep track of any number of subdomains within it that I wanted, and that any email capabilities would be provided by myself and handled locally and therefor not be included in the package and not have any limits.

Am I mistaken? Can I not create a million and one subdomains and can I not have a local email program with as much space as my local drives allow? I thought all the domain name registration did on their end was to store "www.loduwijk.com = 255.255.255.255" in their database.
In response to Loduwijk
Yes, you can do that. You have to run your own DNS. Your DNS would then tell everybody what blank.domain.com means this folder/file/computer/network. The same with mail. And pretty much everything having to do with your domain. I, however, have no experience with these things. So actually setting up your DNS and configuring it correctly is beyond me.
In response to Loduwijk
Just a warning- 1and1 has a tendency to do things REALLY slowly. With GoDaddy, I registered my domain and within 30 minutes I had it using my nameservers and it was up. With 1and1, I registered another domain and it took at least an hour just for them to register the domain.
In response to Loduwijk
You are correct. About the only way I have found of telling the difference between companies for just domain names is price. I personally use telivo.com, as they offer .co.uk for rather cheap (With a 2 year minimum buy).