ID:2908829

BYOND Version:515.1615
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 115.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker & Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Since byond 1615 byond has stopped including the embedded vsc++ dlls, and the installer doesn't seem to install vsc++ redist

I've had players complain about the game not being able to start and even a server that failed to start over this.

The solution is installing https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe but i understand that most software that requires this just has the installer make sure its installed.

The installer is supposed to detect if this is needed and download it if so. The way it does this is by trying to run Dream Seeker with a test command after the installation, which should fail if the appropriate DLLs aren't present.

I haven't been able to find another solution for detecting if the redistributables are installed. If you have any other ideas I'm happy to give them a try.
Your current method doesn't seem to work, I'm not even seeing it trying to run Dream Seeker after the installer finishes.

I think every version of the redist packages create a unique registry entry when installed, you can probably check for those inside of the installer since you're only needing a specific version to fire.

They're under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\[version]\VC\VCRedist