ID:2926353

Not a bug
BYOND Version:515
Operating System:Windows 11 Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 124.0.0.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Thermal sights or other apparel with the SEE_MOBS tag are overridden by the + shaped smoke around the player, whereas you can see just fine targets that are farther away.

video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lG0hYAk1Fc

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1) equip any item that grants the SEE_MOBS attribute

2) chuck a smoke grenade or stand in any smoke around other mobs

3) Notice how you can only see mobs that are 2 tiles away from you, but not the immediate vicinity, since the Plus shaped smoke aura blocks it.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

mobs with the SEE_MOBS tag should always be able to see through smoke

Actual Results:

mobs with the see_mobs tag cannot detect other mobs in their close proximity.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

It always occurs, at least on TG station and its downstreams.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

No this is a fairly ancient bug, it's always been around but only recently i decided to take a look at it.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
None of this is a bug. It's a consequence of the game's lighting behavior and nothing more.

SEE_MOBS merely says that tile-based opacity won't hide mobs from the renderer. If you layer over a mob with other icons, of course they're going to obscure it.
In response to Lummox JR
Thing is i can't find the layer for the smoke anywhere in the files.
That's a problem to bring up with other /tg devs. They can help you find that. It might even be on another plane for all I know.

Login to reply.