ID:3715

Keywords: apple, ipod

iPods suck. They are an abomination. People should stop buying them. Now, before all you anti-Apple zealots start salivating at the chance to bash your most feared and hated enemy, let me explain.

Today, Gughunter says that he doesn't get it. This inspired me to write a comment, which inspired me to write a blog instead. First I will address his implicit question. Then I will address my blasphemy against the Holy Church of the Apple.

Why is the iPod such a phenomenon? My guess is that for the majority of sheep buyers, the list goes something like this, roughly in order:

1. It's cool
  2. Everyone else has one
  3. It's trendy
  4. Those commercials are neat
  5. It's cute!
  6. Listening to music is trendy
  7. Lighter than a couple of CDs
  8. Gigabytes, man, GIGABYTES!
  9. Shuffle play
  10. It's cool
  11. Can fit all your 50,000 pirated songs
  12. Ooh, it shows album art, pretty!

Not me. I love music. I believe that for the majority of people, music is just an accessory to life. It's something to have on in the background and make you look cool. Not for me. Music is the window to the most spiritual parts of my soul. I love to listen to music. Really listen, focusing on nothing else, getting lost in it. Have you ever done that? Music is a very important part of my life - more important than games, computers, sports, or any other hobby.

Here are the reasons why musical people (like me) love their iPods, in no particular order:

• All of my ~5,000 songs at my fingertips
  • If I have the urge to hear anything in my collection wherever I am, I can quickly bring it up
  • Physically small size
  • Excellent controls
  • Organizes my music into playlists, both manually and based on logical criteria
  • Easy menu hierarchy to find songs quickly by genre, artist, album, title, playlist
  • Good audio quality (not cheap crap, not over the top)
  • Several shuffle options, including album, song, and playlist shuffling
  • Seamless integration with my computer, including automatic sync of songs and metadata
  • Updates metadata such as play count, last played time, etc for any song that's played

So, to address Gughunter's question, I say run out and buy an iPod if you're a music lover like me. Nothing beats it in the combined features of form factor, capacity, ease of use, organization, and seamless integration. If you're just a casual music listener like most people (nothing wrong with that at all), I thank you for considering buying one to drive down the price for people like me. But really, you don't need it. Before running to the store in either case, you might want to read on...

For those who've been following along, you know that my iPod was stolen several weeks ago. I feel lost without it. My commute to and from work absolutely sucks. I either have to dig a few CDs out of storage or listen to the radio, with my choice of (a) news radio with tons of commercials or (b) really really crappy music station with idiotic DJ and terrible ("popular") music. Usually I end up with option (a). I hate it. Hate, hate, hate!

But I have vowed to abstain from buying another iPod until Steve Jobs stops lying to his customers. The iPod sucks, and I won't tolerate it any longer. I refuse to implicitly approve of its flaws any longer by forking over my hard-earned cash.

For those who aren't mindless Apple drones fanboys like me, you may have missed when the Apple CEO stated in a keynote speech that "everyone at Apple is a music lover" (my paraphrase). So what?

I call BS. If everyone at Apple, or at least those working on the iPod product line were a music lover, it would not be the fabulously frustrating piece of junk that it is to me. Music lovers would never have ignored such a critical flaw as that of the iPod. Why do I say such hurtful things? What about all those reasons above to love it? What's wrong with it?

G     A     P     S

There are gaps in between tracks. Short, jarring pauses in between songs lasting tiny fractions of a second. So, uhh, who cares?

Me.

Most songs end and begin with silence. You can't even hear a 0.1 second gap that's surrounded by silence! True.

Most people play their music on shuffle. In this mode, it can actually help to have an extra little pause between two random, completely unrelated songs. True.

Why all the fuss?

Because I am not most people. Music is very important to me, so I care about the little details in the listening experience. It's supposed to be an experience, not just an adequate occurrence.

I own albums where song #1 runs into song #2 with absolutely no audio break in between. This is not the norm, but it happens frequently enough. The best example of this is a live album. Crowd noise exists between successive songs. Play that live album in order on an ordinary CD player from 20 years ago, and it seamlessly moves to track to track without any break in that crowd noise. Play that same album on an iPod and you get little gaps in between all tracks. Little bits of silence that weren't there.

iPod defenders tell me there are easy ways around this. I say that's rubbish (don't you like my British accent?). The first suggestion they offer is to import an entire CD as one huge track. True, that gets rid of the gaps. But it also removes the ability to play individual tracks and store metadata separately for every song! Not acceptable. They say import it twice - once as a whole CD, once as individual songs. Uhh, no. I'm not wasting twice the disk space. Not to mention that any time I play the seamless album version, my individual songs don't have their metadata updated (last played time, play count). I'm very anal about this. So, no.

Other fools will tell me to use crossfading in iTunes and set the crossfade time to 0. Aside from the fact that this effectively skips a small fraction of a second of audio, the iPod doesn't do crossfading!

Finally, some will argue that lossy audio formats such as MP3 and AAC are encoded with fixed frame sizes, resulting in an inherent gap at the end of the song between the time the audio ends and the last frame ends. That's true. They imply that therefore the gap problem is here to stay. But I say there are numerous, easy solutions for this:

• Store metadata within each track to pinpoint the exact end time of the song. Buffer the audio output data sufficiently so that the next sample after the last one in song #1 is the first sample of song #2.
  • Import every full CD as one big file and embed a cue sheet as metadata to allow skipping around among tracks. Also track metadata on a per-song basis. To the average user, they'd never know the difference.
  • Analyze each song as it is playing for silence at the end of the last frame. Skip that silence.

I've dabbled in the last proposed solution myself and found it to be relatively effective. I'm sure the other two are also quite doable, and not even a huge change to either iTunes or the iPod firmware. Then why hasn't Apple done it yet?

My only explanation is that they simply don't care. Many Apple fanboys love to tout the "fact" that Apple pays attention to detail. Again, I call BS. This is a glaringly obvious detail that hasn't gotten any attention in the nearly 4 years that the iPod has been on the market, nor in the time that iTunes has existed (iTunes, despite having the resources of much more powerful hardware to run on, suffers from the same inexcusable problem). I've complained loudly, directly to Apple, and it has fallen on deaf ears. I've talked to numerous other people on the internet who've agreed with me. Apple does not care.

Why? Because 99.99% of their customers use shuffle play exclusively. Because those customers aren't music lovers. Those people just want to play their top 50 or 100 "favorite" songs, the ones that are popular on MTV, in random order. Gaps between tracks are irrelevant in this mode of operation. Why should Apple devote so much as 2 engineers to this problem for a few months when that money could be better spent on marketing new ways to remove money from the pocket books of a mindless public?

Of course I'm in the vast minority here, but Apple used to be the company that catered to that minority. They've put so many cool things into their hardware and software products as a reward for people like me who are really passionate about something. It's one of the main reasons for their strong cult following. But that was back when they were a computer company and devoted their efforts to making the best damn computers money could buy. No more.

<-- deleted long tangential rant about how the Music Apple is slowly taking over and crappifying the Computer Apple -->

Bottom line, a 20-year-old CD player, ancient in terms of consumer electronics, can do both of the following:

• Play live albums with no gaps between songs
  • Skip around among tracks within such an album at will

The iPod, an advanced device which is orders of magnitude more powerful, can't even do the same thing. It can do one or the other (full album as one track == no gaps, no skip; one track per song == skip + gaps), but not both. When the problem is framed in this way, it seems just a bit ridiculous, doesn't it?

So I remain on the lookout for a solution which will accommodate all of my desires listed far above, with the added bonus of gapless album playback. I'm loyal to no company - the first who provides such a product suite at a fair price will enjoy my business. So far I've found none that exists. I've examined the competition. Some iPod competitors claim to offer gapless playback; most offer many extra features that I really don't care about (AM/FM reception, voice recording, video playback, etc). But all such competitors fall woefully short in one or more of the other features for which I continue to love the iPod -- interface and seamless integration being prime among them. Physical size often secondary.

If people stopped buying iPods, maybe then Apple would start listening to me. Maybe then they would make the perfect music listening device. Can I just dream? No, I wouldn't count on it. I'm the minority here. And as in a true democracy, the mob rules all. The iPod remains a fabulous device with a tiny little flaw that I'm fed up with and most people will never notice.

The search goes on...

Wow, that's a long post..

But, I agree with you.
Music is the window to the most spiritual parts of my soul.

Likewise.
I love to let my music drown out any background noise and cure all my problems.
I don't have many albums where the gap is annoying, and I don't listen to them very often, but there are a couple of almost issues I have with the iPod.
So rather than sitting around sooking about it why don't we try and figure out some way of getting them to pay attention.
How do we push ourselves above the 'make it a cel phone too' and 'it sucks, give it 100GB' crowds?

We could take the low road and just put out a 'Apple doesn't know music' campaign. Act like anyone who doesn't agree with us are just posers.
However I'm really not a fan of taking the low road (especially since for the most part I'm happy with the iPod and Apple).

Then there are petitions. Internet petitions are essentially a load of horse crap, but if we got people to sign them with their serial number we'd be able to show that we're all cash paying customers.
Although I'm not sure what the security risks involved with releasing our S/Ns are.
Also it would mean people who have lost their iPod or don't want to buy one until this is resolved can't sign (or at least not with the same impact).

I think in any case the key is to get together as many like-minded individuals as possible.

Then again, you could just buy some shares in Apple and then they'd have to listen to you.
Why not just get a nomad. Granted, they are a little bigger, but they have a huge battery life, large file size, many playback types, including WMA and I think OOG. They come with a thick carrying case, making it almost impossible to damage unit by just bumping it into things.

I don't have one, but my brother does. He loans it out to everyone(Well, not literary, but anyone that he knows and somewhat trusts). He has about 20GB of legally acquired music on it. Taken straight from CD. It does require special software, at least on Windows. I have not tried it on Linux, it might actually work like a USB hard drive in Linux and Mac.

I have debated buying one for a while now, the only thing stopping me is that I already have a 1GB MP3 player, and it works well, for what it is. I don't have a ton of music, the only downside to 1GB is that I can only fit one Audio book on it at a time(A great way to "Read").
Your arguments in favor of the iPod are good; as you point out, though, they're mostly good for a person who's really heavily music-oriented. I do like to listen intently to music when I have the chance, but probably 95% of the time it's the background accompaniment to driving/programming/writing/daydreaming (or any combination of the above); and for the other 5% of the time I can make do with a CD and whatever CD-playing device is at hand.

Still, when they come down to $30 I'll probably get one, even if they haven't solved the gap problem by then. :)
"I own albums where song #1 runs into song #2 with absolutely no audio break in between."

Yeahm I agree. In my Muse album, for two of the songs they have intros to it (that sound awesome), and lead straight into the song. It just doesn't work with an iPod.
Don't go with the Dell DJ, if you were considerring it.

I love everything about it, but it too has the gap. I didn't even notice it untill you pointed it out. Granted, I really only have one album that flows through songs (Pink Floyd - The Wall).

Now I cant enjoy the music! Thanks a lot Mike! :P
As I've said before, I agree with you on the gaps man. Just about every Dream Theater album is intended to be listened to from start to finish, without gaps. They're albums tend to be like one long song.

One of my favorites is Overture 1928. It's supposed flow seamlessly into Strange Deja Vu.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me ALL that much. But it does get kind of annoying. What annoys me more though, is that my click wheel stopped working on my iPod the other day, rendering it completely useless to me. It's pretty old though.

Does Apple offer any kind of service to people who want to upgrade their iPods to a newer model? I don't really want to pay to get this thing repaired when it isn't even compatible with docking bays.
Blithely ignoring Mike's jihad and instead sucking up to the people who provide my paycheck, after recently buying a car it was time to finally get an iPod for myself so I could listen to podcasts in the car.

My 60 gig video iPod arrived this morning (which I got with a healthy employee discount, thank you very much), and while reading the help as I experiment with importing audiobooks, I noticed this tidbit which perhaps will help out Mike:

To remove the gap of silence that normally occurs between songs, make sure the songs on the CD are sorted by track number in ascending order (click the top of the first column so that it's blue and you see a triangle that points up), then select two or more adjacent songs and choose Advanced > Join CD Tracks.

Also, as a public service I checked the bug tracking system, and I see that this issue is being tracked. That's all I'm willing to say about internal info, but either between the feature above or future functionality, I am pretty confident this will get handled in some manner...
And as it happens, I realized I would want this functionality for audio books, since they are also recorded with the intent of no gap between tracks. I'm experimenting with this now and will report back...
Heh, you know the jihad is just for dramatic effect, right? :) Shortly after writing this blog entry, I broke down and pulled my old 30 GB iPod out of retirement. I couldn't take it anymore, and having an iPod in the car, gaps and all, is better than having none.

My old iPod had had trouble with its hard drive earlier this year, but finally began cooperating again shortly before the newer, now stolen one arrived. So once more it has served me pretty well the past 2 months, but it's beginning to act up again. I've had to reformat and reload a couple times this week, and I pray (not sure to whom) that this isn't the final end. I don't want to buy another one until gaps are gone!

To respond to your suggestion about Join CD Tracks, let me point you to a paragraph from this very blog post:

The first suggestion they offer is to import an entire CD as one huge track. True, that gets rid of the gaps. But it also removes the ability to play individual tracks and store metadata separately for every song! Not acceptable. They say import it twice - once as a whole CD, once as individual songs. Uhh, no. I'm not wasting twice the disk space. Not to mention that any time I play the seamless album version, my individual songs don't have their metadata updated (last played time, play count). I'm very anal about this. So, no.

Sorry, doesn't work.

As for the bug tracking system, I already knew that. :) I have myself submitted a bug report on this, and it was marked as duplicate. The fact that it goes unsolved after four years of iPods indicates to me that it's pretty low on the priority list. Understandable, since 99% of consumers don't care. But Apple used to be all about pleasing that 1% who did care!

Finally, I do believe that an audiobook-like solution is probably the most likely scenario. This method uses that very same functionality to achieve a solution which is about 80% there, in my estimation. I've been toying with submitting a new bug report highlighting this as a suggestion. What it doesn't do is treat each song (chapter) as an individual track in the music library, completely regardless of the fact that it's just a chunk of a larger file. I should be able to drag individual songs from a "gapless mode" file into any playlist, just like with regular songs now. And these songs need to keep track of their own metadata (comments, last played time, play count, etc), separately from any other songs within the same gapless file.

If Apple extends this functionality as I've outlined, then iTunes and iPod should treat any such song exactly the same as ones that a imported in the more traditional manner now. I would consider this an acceptable solution, even though it means I have to drag the affected CDs out of storage and reimport them. I'm willing to live with that if it gives me what I want. Nevermind that I still believe that gapless playback is possible with current imported tracks, it's just a matter of software. The Rio Karma does it. :)

If it weren't for the fabulous overall experience you get with the iPod (seamless and automatic integration with the iTunes library), I probably would have jumped ship by now.
Report from the field:

I got my new video iPod last weekend, and have been using it during my commute (and while washing dishes and making dinner -- yes, the iPod actually makes me more likely to make dinner!), and this morning I noticed, in a somewhat annoying case, that there appeared to be no silence gap between the end of the audiobook I was listening to and the podcast that was next up in the playlist. Annoying because it's a bit odd to go instantly from the last words of a book about a serial killer to the opening words of a movie review podcast (oddly enough, about American Psycho, a movie with a serial killer as the main character).

This evening on the way home I noticed the same thing, so in the interests of science I just fired up the first song on U2's Zooropa, fast-forwarded to the last thirty seconds, and waited...

...and...

NO GAP!

The next song started immediately, near as I could tell.

Possibly this feature was rolled in with one of the recent new iPod models. I'd recommend doing some investigation at an Apple Store to see if you find the same.
first song on U2's Zooropa...

...and...

NO GAP!

At least on my copy of Zooropa, the first track ("Zooropa") ends with about 2 seconds of silence. Add another partial second of silence and you're not going to notice it.

If you have any live music, that might be a good test - if the crowd noise is supposed to be continuous between songs. While I'd love to believe you're right (and would then happily fork over money to your employer), my Googling suggests that this iPod is still no different from its predecessors in this regard.

To see just how just how bad it is, this page provides an excellent analysis: http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/
The latest MacWorld has a story related to this...apparently Apple is experimenting with a gapless album with Madonna's latest album. There are two versions of the album, one called a "Non-Stop Mix" with the gaps removed.

Apparently there is a lack of chapter marks, though, which may mean this is simply a matter of recording the album as one long track.

Nonetheless, I think Mike should immediately buy Madonna's album and study it ceaselessly!
apparently Apple is experimenting with a gapless album with Madonna's latest album.

Interesting! I checked the music store, and sure enough, it is there. It's a very small step in the right direction, but with the lack of chapter marks, it's not quite enough. As my original post stated, one long track without the ability to treat individual songs separately is not good enough for me.

Based on what I've read in the past, I wonder if Apple even had anything to do with this. My understanding is that the record companies encode their files and provide the results to Apple. Meaning, the record company may well have decided to provide an alternate "non-stop" version of this album, and Apple simply put it up. If true, the pessimist wins this round, as it would seem to indicate that Apple still isn't really thinking about this issue. Hopefully not.

My old iPod is now all but officially dead, as it's nearly impossible to get it to boot up long enough to play music or sync with the computer. As such, I'm finding it more and more difficult to stick to my vow not to buy another until the gaps are gone. While buying a gappy iPod sends the message that it's ok for Apple to ignore me, it still improves my current music listening situation (CDs or nonexistent) by orders of magnitude.

Damn you, Apple, and all your employees (iPod team members or not!) for making a fantastic but oh so annoyingly flawed product!

Mike should immediately buy Madonna's album and study it ceaselessly!

I think I'd rather just burn my current collection of ~500 good CDs. That would still be a better listening experience. ;)
I assume you are aware of this little hack, but just in case...

http://www.43folders.com/2006/04/04/gap-killer/