ID:47474

Keywords: repository
I've made a little bit of progress with the repositories. The repositories are now available for:

Debian Sarge
Debian Etch
Gentoo

I've still not got the hang of package signing for debian, it seems there is something subtle I am missing, as such the package manager will warn you about the fact the package could not be verified. This is okay, do not worry about it. I would prefer to get this fixed before I roll out to Ubuntu and move on to RPM systems, although RPMs might just peak my interest before that happens. There is also now a more comprehensive install guide available at:

http://home.sevon.co.uk/byond/byond-install.txt
Not to sound stupd but first linux box here... whats a repository do? Im trying to install BYOND but my uselss computer doesnt have make. =/

Directions are very clear, btw only took me like 10~ minutes to figure out. I got it installed, but not sure what it is for. Thanks!
sudo apt-get install make

Also you can do it through the package manager.

A repository is an Internet site that maintains and distributes a collection of software packages and will install it automatically for you.
Thank you got it installed but now im having permission issues. DS is set as 777 via chmod..which should give anyone all permissions...going off my web knownlodge. :-/
Did you do a make install?

Make install - installs BYOND Globally.

Leave your msn address and we can talk one on one.
Looks like it was a short cut to a DreamSeeker file, that doesnt exist.

Wont be able to get on MSN until later tonight. Ive got class in bout 10 min
What distribution are you using?
What ever is on the EEE PCs
Just a note, only the 3.5 version and below contain the DreamSeeker program. All 4.0-related releases do NOT include the program due to compatibility issues.
Oh. That's probably what I got. Hm. 3.5 DS is just text mode too, isn't it?
Yes. There's never been a graphical release of the Linux version, or any non-Windows version for that matter.
byond h8 linux?
No not really it works "ok" using WINE but i think its the fact that Dan's complex coding disabled the BYOND staff from going any further with BYOND on linux or mac?
I think it is more that they never considered OS portability on the graphical client from the outset. It's pretty difficult to retro-actively prepare for porting without some kind of re-write to get off Windows-only libraries.