ID:751678

http://www.byond.com/developer/forum/?id=652905

Righto, the basic premise is to make the maintenance and updating of BYOND Linux easier by taking advantage of one of Linux's fantastic strengths, package management. My intention is to run a series of repositories for the major distributions run by our LinuxGuild members and non-members, that contain packages relating to BYOND for Linux.

So that is the main BYOND Linux package, a package for daemonizing (init.d type stuff) and any associated BYOND linux tools people wish to throw at me. In order to do this, I need to identify what distributions are used by you guys. If you know any non-members who use linux, feel free to post their distributions here.

I have access to test on most distributions, by virtue of VMs and spare boxes.
ATP Host loves the Debian 64-bit.
In response to Airjoe
Does the init script idea appeal to you? If so, what kind of configuration options would you need exposing in the config system it would use?

I'm currently thinking the appropriate route would be something like a /etc/byond/worlds structure would suit, with home directory world support at ~/.byond/worlds if your customers operate under separate users. I will need to consider execution permissions on the /etc/init.d script itself however, if that's the case.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Does the init script idea appeal to you? If so, what kind of configuration options would you need exposing in the config system it would use?

I'm not sure if I see a purpose for it, could you go into a little depth? Right now users run their worlds through SSH with the regular DreamDaemon command or through the web panel which just exec()'s a call to DreamDaemon. Are you proposing creating an init script for each world?

I'm currently thinking the appropriate route would be something like a /etc/byond/worlds structure would suit, with home directory world support at ~/.byond/worlds if your customers operate under separate users.

All of our users are in their own VPS, right now there's no shared users. I'm looking into adding the ability to add sub-accounts though, as this is something that's been requested.
In response to Airjoe
It's actually more to do with managing PID files centrally, requesting the status of the world, issuing some generally useful commands to it etc.

For example with BIND, the init script offers the following:

start
status
stop
reload

Each will appropriately check the current configuration and status, and handle errors accordingly. Extra functions like reload are application specific, in BIND's case to reload the zone files into the currently running BIND process.

The init script would be central, but could offer services for named worlds:

/etd/init.d/dreamdaemon start myWorld1
/etd/init.d/dreamdaemon status-all (for all worlds)

etc.

Similarly, I can rig up something that can comb netstat for getting the IP addresses connected to a given world, reading the port to inspect from config.
In response to Stephen001
I would like it for brown outs, although if I wanted it bad enough I would have rigged something up myself. I only randomly decide to host a game for a while, so I'm probably not worth being a driving factor, but if you do it, I'll certainly use it.

I use Sabayon/Gentoo as I'm sure you already remember.
In response to Stupot
runscript is a little different to Debian's SystemV stuff, but generally easier to write. I have no problem writing both, if we expect some use.