ID:133508

I want to be able to automatically start hosting a game as soon as my computer starts.

This is useful so if I have to reboot my computer, I don't need to manually re-open the game.

This is useful for power outages where you're computer is set to turn back on automatically, so the game wont be down for many hours while your still sleeping.

FOR 24/7 hosters, etc...
Superbike32 wrote:
I want to be able to automatically start hosting a game as soon as my computer starts.

You can already do this no problemo. Look up the procs of /world (of course, you'd set up the actual game start on computer boot yourself).
In response to Kaioken
Actually, I am talking about doing so with Dream Daemon, sorry about my bad explanation.

You can only currently do so with dream seeker.
In response to Superbike32
But you can also do this with Dream Daemon without even changing any code in your game. DD is quite built for that kind of stuff. If you start dreamdaemon.exe with a path to a DMB file as a parameter, it starts hosting it automatically. You may pass on more parameters, such as the port (if you don't, it just uses the last-used port).

The above also means if you use Open With to open a DMB with DD, it'll start hosting automatically, too.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
But you can also do this with Dream Daemon without even changing any code in your game. DD is quite built for that kind of stuff. If you start dreamdaemon.exe with a path to a DMB file as a parameter, it starts hosting it automatically. You may pass on more parameters, such as the port (if you don't, it just uses the last-used port).

The above also means if you use Open With to open a DMB with DD, it'll start hosting automatically, too.

It's been a while since I've done it, but I had some problems doing it directly. Starting it via a .bat file did work however.
In response to Nick231
I've never made bat stuff, but it should just be..
startme.bat
C:\Program Files\BYOND\bin\DreamDaemon <path to game> <port>

Not positive on that, but you get the general idea, then just put it in your startup folder.
In response to Flame Sage
You can also just use a shortcut to DD with the necessary parameters. I don't really see what difference would cause it to 'not work directly' but work from a batch file; the file is executed quite the same in both anyway.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
You can also just use a shortcut to DD with the necessary parameters. I don't really see what difference would cause it to 'not work directly' but work from a batch file; the file is executed quite the same in both anyway.

It was an issue with DreamDaemon never actually starting correctly. It would either never start at all or start and freeze, although as I mentioned above its been a while since I've done it so it may very well be fixed in current versions.
In response to Nick231
I see. While on that, I tested it now and I confirm it works if started directly (ie from the command line... well it is the same as what a BAT does) but it does 'break' when started through a shortcut for some reason (I don't get any freezing or something like that, though, it just opens DD but doesn't manage to host). It seems to be messed up in some ways, ie it uses the first parameter as the port instead of the DMB path, and then says you specified no DMB and also puts your DMB path in the Port box. But it doesn't look like it just flipped the parameters, putting the port then DMB afterwards places the port correctly but it still doesn't identify the DMB.
In response to Flame Sage
As a matter of curiousity, would our Linux users be interested in a BYOND package, including init/off-blast(upstart) script for DreamDaemon and multi-game config file?

If we can work out what distros the majority of our Linux hosts use, I would be happy to construct and maintain these packages off the Linux releases Tom announces.

I know we have two Gentoo users, a portage overlay and ebuilds are nice and easy to do. Debian/Ubuntu (without upstart) would be okay too, but I'm not 100% on how I'd run the repository yet. Upstart is probably fine too, I suspect that doesn't need supporting yet. CentOS / Fedora are probably pretty similar to Debian / Ubuntu, just the same issue regarding repostory stuff.
In response to Stephen001
put the dmb in your startup folder, and make sure it opens to dreamdaemon by default. Done! automatic hosting.
In response to Tubutas
*blinks* Alright, thanks for that contribution. Now how about a Linux user?