ID:8070

Keywords: cats
Kinder: 1996 - January 27, 2006

Those who've never had a pet may never comprehend the special bond that exists between an animal and its human. They may never understand that the pet is more than just an animal; that the pet is family, and is loved and cherished like a child.

Today I lost a child.

Kinder (pronounced like the first part of kindergarten) entered my life on September 27, 1997. A young stray cat, she followed me back to my apartment from the parking lot late that night. She looked emaciated and gladly lapped up the milk I set down for her. Intelligent cat that she was, she quickly realized that this had the potential to be a much cushier life than out on the street. She declined to leave despite an open door, and I welcomed her to a permanent spot in my home, and in my family.

She's lived with me in 6 different places in these 8 years or so, providing constant companionship and sometime entertainment. She even caught a mouse that went on to live with us for 3 years (I have a soft spot for strays).

Today started like any other day. Nothing out of the ordinary as we got ready for work. Fed the dog, cats acting normal, off to work. Then I got a frantic call from my wife at 6pm: Kinder wasn't moving. She lay still on the floor with no signs of breathing. I raced home and confirmed: no signs of life. She'd probably been there for a few hours. Oh, god. Oh God.

It really hit me as I wrapped her up to take her to the vet for cremation. I didn't want to cover her, as I knew that would be the last time I would see her. My child is gone. How did this happen? She wasn't old, just middle aged. Maybe 9 or 10. She'd slowed down a step the last couple of years, but nothing like an elderly cat. No unusual symptoms. We were expecting another good 7 or 8 years with this cat, then out of the blue, gone. What happened?

We'll never know for sure. Maybe it was sudden heart failure, which can occur with no prior warning. Who knows. Sometimes life, and death as a part of it, just isn't fair. A pet owner always knows that this day will come; maybe sooner, maybe later. It's part of owning a pet that won't live as long as you do. But that doesn't make it any easier.

It's been a rough night. I don't think Jasmine and Bruno understand what happened, but they could tell something was wrong. Jasmine is curled up on my lap as I write this, giving me comfort. I'm just thankful we still have them. And I'm glad we could provide Kinder with a good life for those years we shared together.

I just hope Kinder's in a better place now, whether that means an afterlife or simply being at ease in those final moments. We will miss her dearly, may she rest in peace.
That really sucks. I know I have a cat that's older than I am(yes, it's 16 in human years), and that growing up with it kind of gave me a special bond with it. Then of course we picked up a stray cat last summer when we moved, and now they've both managed to become crucial parts of the family. Good luck, to you and Kinder.
I'm sorry to hear that, Mike. I can really feel how much you loved Kinder, and I know she could and can, too.

My condolences to you, friend.
I'm becomming really attached to my dog. Pets are the best :)

I wish him well in Kitty Heaven.
RIP Kinder. :(

I would be heartbroken if I ever lost my dog, but my parents are considering giving her away because she sheds an unbelievable amount of hair, and she makes everything smell horrible.
Sorry to hear that. I know that people can form emotional attacments to almost anything, esepcally an animal.

:-(
Losing a pet really is like losing a family member... In fact, I shouldn't even say "like"... It IS losing a family member...

I've been there; my deepest sympathies to you...
I think it's neat that you named her Kinder, which is German for "children" (even though you don't pronounce it that way - kin/dare ;-) )

Sorry. :-(
Dude i am so sorry man damn reading this brought tears to my eyes
My condolences.
If I ever lost any of my dogs, I don't know what I'd do. It really hurts to even think about anybody's pet dieing, especially when they were so close..

I wish you the best of luck and that you'll stay strong.
Feline liukemia? My family lost our cat to that. The vet told us that we shouldn't expect her to live past a year after she was diagnosed.

She made it 3 years, then got visibly worse overnight. We put her down on my birthday. :/
=(
Aww man i fell for you, this is sad im not a person to get emotional but this made tears come to my eyes ive lost sevral animals all of with i had some kinda bond with so i kow how it fells.

RIP Kinder
Sorry to hear about that Mike.

Rest in Peace Kinder.
:(

May the graw kitty watch over Kinder in Kitty Heaven.

The mouse is cute, and the poem cuter. :)
I'm sorry for your loss Mike. I'm coming up on that day sometime soon, as my cat is pushing seventeen and she has started showing signs of age in the last couple of months. We've been blessed that she has had a long healthy life, but I know it's going to be tough on my kids when she does pass. My youngest son and my daughter can't even remember a time when she hasn't been around.

R.I.P. Kinder
Aww. How sad. =/ My dog wolf had to be put to sleep back in october ;_;.... RIP Wolf II and Kinder....=/

http://www.hyperbyond.com/wolf_n_ian.jpg

http://www.hyperbyond.com/wolf_n_ian.jpg

both of those pics were taken on the day of his death.;_;

the first one was when he was in a spot where he ached so much he couldn't stand, so we had to carry him into my dad's car...

again. Rest In Peace Kinder & Wolf II

-Ian
crap. fogot to change the 2nd url to http://www.hyperbyond.com/wolf_n_ian2.jpg. >> Need an edit button >.>
Page: 1 2