Crusader's Cavern

by SuperAntx
Crusader's Cavern
There is no hope for ye who descends into darkness.
ID:1109111

End of the World Developer Contest - 2012

Like the music? Download the OST!

Code/Artwork - SuperAntx
Music - Deceased Superior Technician

v1.4 Update:
- Added puzzle to final room.
- Boss monster spawns instantly during light/dark shift.
- Title screen can now be navigated without a mouse.
- Optimized monster AI for low end computers.

v1.3 Update:
- Lowered monster spawn rate.
- Skip Intro button now properly removed from screen.
- Fixed bug which caused shield to stay up.
- Adjusted monster health values.
- Clicking mirrors will no longer interrupt sword swings when not in range.

v1.2 Update:
- Boss phases tied to health rather than timer.
- Increased boss wait time.
- Altered several puzzles.

v1.1 Update:
- Added laptop controls.
- Added additional ending.
- Tweaked timer and health values.
Amazing game! :)
Thanks! I really ran myself into the ground on this one, adding the final boss and finishing it with about an hour left on the clock.

The guys in Chatters deserve a huge thanks because they helped me squash not one, but two game-breaking bugs minutes before the deadline.
I can't figure out the controls. So far I've got that left-click swings your sword and right-click puts up your shield. I can't get past the first room though.
I put an "instructions" button on the title screen!

WASD or Arrow Keys will move you around.
Really nice game, though I'm curious how to exit the dark phases because when I enter them I end up wandering around room to room til I die.

Thanks.
In response to Truseeker
Truseeker wrote:
Really nice game, though I'm curious how to exit the dark phases because when I enter them I end up wandering around room to room til I die.

Killing all the monsters will bring out a greater monster, killing it will bring back the light. It will spawn in one of the rooms you've cleared and will eventually track you down.
Cloud Magic wrote:
There are way too many puzzles for me to solve at once.

Heh, I'm kinda glad you said that because I was a little worried about there being such little content. I've played through it so many times now it's hard for me to gauge how fast a normal player can clear the game.

I changed the light/dark parameters to make it much quicker to bring back the light, but I guess that doesn't exactly address what you're asking. I could probably add a pause button which stops everything until you unpause the game.
Cloud just wants an easy way to take a break without having to start a new game. That would be nice, so I'll back him up on that.
Cloud Magic wrote:
Game needs a pause button. There are way too many puzzles for me to solve at once. Maybe it could give you the option to pause after completing the room, before entering the next one.

or add a saving proc in the exit door & a load option on the title screen
I tried this out during some software testing and ended up playing for a half hour! Really fun!
Just finished the game in about 5-10 minutes after dying once on the final boss round. Let too many monsters touch me as I tried to figure out what I was supposed to do.

Here's my quick feedback in order I came across it. With a pause button, I may have written down more.

- First fading light event nearly gave me a heart attack. The sound was so loud and sudden.

- After killing the first couple of mobs, I sat there wondering what I should do. Eventually the boss came out. Thought it just took forever but after reading previous posts, I realize that it wanders around in previous rooms before finding you. In the 4-5 times this event happened to me, I just sat in the same room and waited for it to show up and then I would kill it with ease.

- Noticed the big moon looking thing at top was about to expire so I turn my sound way down and sure enough, saved myself from being blown out again.

- Found the puzzles to be a little too easy. You can just follow them backwards and it's almost always a one way thing. Some suggestions to help make it more challenging and I'm sure you've thought of them. Add more unneeded mirrors so more mirrors have at least 2 mirrors they can face when toggled. Most of your mirrors only face one other possible mirror (one way).

- Having more than one switch in a room would be fun. One switch unlocks a hidden mirror. Another unlocks a hidden switch. Another unlocks a wall. etc. That makes mirrors multi-purpose.

- I made it to the end on my first attempt but I wasn't sure what I was doing and eventually died. When I was moved back to start, I thought "how brutal" to start me all over again. Then I realized the puzzle was already solved and upon walking into the second room, I realized I could probably walk all the way back. Then I wondered, why would he make me walk all the way back!?! :)

- It would be neat if you could figure out an algorithm for generating random puzzles. Seems easy enough.

- Ended up turning down my sound even more in the end.

- The ending leaves you wondering if you should exit or wait for something magical to happen. I opted for X button so hopefully I didn't miss anything. :)

- Really nice work for a contest entry.
In response to PopLava
PopLava wrote:
- First fading light event nearly gave me a heart attack. The sound was so loud and sudden.

Hehe, good. That was intentional. You should know it's more subdued than what I started with, but I had to tone it down because I didn't want anyone to lose their hearing or blame me for having their speakers rattled.

- After killing the first couple of mobs, I sat there wondering what I should do. Eventually the boss came out. Thought it just took forever but after reading previous posts, I realize that it wanders around in previous rooms before finding you. In the 4-5 times this event happened to me, I just sat in the same room and waited for it to show up and then I would kill it with ease.

I couldn't figure out a good way to get it to spawn. Originally you had to kill every single creature in every single room and then it would spawn, but once you got far enough in that just became a pain in the butt. What I could do is spawn it in a room but not have it stalk you until making visual contact with it.

- Found the puzzles to be a little too easy. / Having more than one switch in a room would be fun.

I had these crates you could push onto switches but had to remove them because of some crazy edge case bug I couldn't solve. Mind you, this was after about 24 hours with no sleep. Same problem with the puzzles, I only had about four rooms actually completed until a few hours before the deadline. I had to slap the rest together as quickly as possible while making sure nothing broke the game. I tried fixing up the puzzles up a little but I didn't want to change too much in the spirit of preserving it as a contest entry.

- I made it to the end on my first attempt but I wasn't sure what I was doing and eventually died. When I was moved back to start, I thought "how brutal" to start me all over again. Then I realized the puzzle was already solved and upon walking into the second room, I realized I could probably walk all the way back. Then I wondered, why would he make me walk all the way back!?! :)

You aren't actually "moved back to the start." Die in one of the rooms and you'll see what I mean. It was my attempt at incorporating part of the story into the actual game.

- The ending leaves you wondering if you should exit or wait for something magical to happen. I opted for X button so hopefully I didn't miss anything. :)

Nope, once the music stops that's the end of the game. I "finished" the final boss about an hour before the contest deadline. A funny thing about that, because I had played through the game so many times when testing it I wasn't able to discover bugs which broke the fight if you happened to die in certain situations. Several people in Chatters pointed them out to me right before the deadline.

- Really nice work for a contest entry.

Thank you!
I might suggest you spawn creatures until the event boss mob is killed. Providing a health bar for the boss mobs (labled boss) in the UI (not on the boss) would give people the little direction they need.

You could also put a flashing arrow (or something) at each door that leads you to the room where the event boss spawned in and is mulling about for that event.

Fighting the bosses while fending off other mobs would make the bosses a lot more challenging.

Oh, consider spawning floaty "event" bosses during the final "boss" battle as well. Wait, maybe you already do!?!? I forget. With health bars, players know exactly what the challenge is and can fully engage in the battle. :)

By the way, the event boss is fantastic.

Anyway, good fun. :)
what do you do when you get to the black ball?
In response to Flashh9
Flashh9 wrote:
what do you do when you get to the black ball?

There's a puzzle which needs solving.
Nice game. Beat it in like 10 minutes with no deaths, but a few close calls from monsters appearing right on top of me.

The idea of slipping into a nighmare-ish void is cool, but I think it could use some improvement. The big black scary thing was less scary once you learn you could kill it without too much trouble.

My suggestion would be to make the wandering black thing indestructible, and randomly place an "exit" object somewhere on the map. So the knight's desperately fleeing this thing while trying to find the exit, with all these little monsters getting in the way.

Also, it wasen't especially clear that you're supposed to keep hitting the giant eye at the end. Maybe you could give it a different animation when the player hits it?