ID:260407

People that are making original games shouldnt have to worry about RSC files being extracted. Especially hard working sprite artist that take time and effort to into thier work. http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6869/gfsidewalk3fu6.gif
Take a look at this guy who released GOA's icons.
http://members.byond.com/BYONDAnime/forum?id=5211

All we should worry about is who we trust...but how it is right now, no matter how well and responsible you are at keeping secrets, you'll piss someone off (enemies are just a part of life) then they'll just take your material then spread it.

I'm in a chat with a bunch of original game owners of this generation and past and we agree theres no point in making a game if people are just going to penetrate. You spend all that time working then people who constantly speak down on rips go after a game that isnt one. It just demotivates anyone who attempts to make an original game.

I figured even though we may not always be too fund of someone, we share the same ideals of making original games and no one should get thier material leaked just because someone thinks their an "ass". We felt we should we should say something cause this could be any of us or even you...next. I say this as someone concerned about the well being of my game and byond in general.
There isn't any point making it hard to extract resources, because there are always screen shots to rip with.
As far as resource extracting, I heard its a long and difficult process(but after reading Smoko's post, I think it's just source code-wise), and the average person wouldn't be able to do anyway..Also, its just gonna happen that people steal your icons; there are too many programs in which you can take screenshots. The least you could do is choose who you trust wisely to give someone a less easier time.
In response to Smoko
You cannot rip easily with a screen shot, It doesn't capture every frame easily making it almost as much work as making the icon itself. BYOND staff should have made it harder to do stuff like this a long time ago when it first appeared. Just letting people steal that easily is a good way to lose the entirety of good people that stick around.
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
You can extract any game's RSC with ease with the way the system is now. All you have to log in to the game, let the RSC download and there you have it. There are some out there that anyone can use. Something needs to be done.
What do you mean less easy time? It isn't like we have a choice in the situation. BYOND gives the resource files to EVERYONE that logs into the game, Are we supposed to only let a select few people play the game?
In response to Lifehunter
Rubbish. Set up a program to take shots every millisecond and you have an easily accessible icon state.
In response to Lifehunter
The fact that people can just log in and use extractors to get your RSC is rediculous. It kills the point of making an original game on byond. Its not fair that we work hard on our icons for some asshole with a grudge to come and extract and release them. With all the fixes done to the new Byond 4.0 It wouldn't have hurt to give alittle more security to prevent this from happening. This is not fair to us at all. And with all the things people have been doing lately, its really messed up that byond staff isnt doing anything to enforce its rules at all.

As a matter of fact byond pretty much promoted ripping with the new screenshot option in options and messages.
This has been already discussed before a few times. And like said, it'd be pretty pointless to go ahead and make the RSC harder to crack as there are quite a few easy ways to get resources either way.
It's technically impossible to prevent anyway, no matter how you try; if you see an icon/graphics (or, hear a sound [file], etc etc), then it must be already ON your computer to begin with (saying 'duh' comes to mind but it seems not obvious enough to some people), loaded in your memory and left on the hard drive (though the latter isn't certain but is true most of the time), so you can mostly always access it.

Also,
Mecha Destroyer JD wrote:
As far as resource extracting, I heard its a long and difficult process

Well, yeah, it isn't.

and the average person wouldn't be able to do anyway..

Pretty true, but one may succeed with enough determination anyway, as it isn't that hard. Well, you can extract files just with Dream Maker...

Also, its just gonna happen that people steal your icons; there are too many programs in which you can take screenshots.

Well, yeah. Including Windows itself... you don't actually need to install a specialized program.
To anybody who thinks that RSC extracting is hard, or that the people who extracted GOA's RSC have half a brain, dont be fooled! A moron can and has done it.

We know that Fresh Prince of Persia is a dummy account used by the Propaganda team to do this, the only people it hurts is byond as a whole. GOA will continue to be popular, but its a threat to byond because decent icon makers will be discouraged from working here, they are the ones who dont want to see their hard work in some third rate rip. If security issues arent dealt with, byond will have a MASSIVE intellect drain.

Also any ip address that has used Super Saiyajin X and Fresh prince of persia's key should be banned from byond indefinetily. The byond admin NEED to start helping us developers stop the spread of leaked icons and code, the fact that BigBoidD and other people who spread NBOTLS are still unbanned is DISGUSTING. how you can treat the people who do the work here with such coldness is frustrating. IF you want to support the people who make great games, the ones who bring talent and hard work to byond, Then support a full out ban of anybody who helps propagate leaked material, support new RSC encryption and more measures to properly moderate this god damn place.
In response to Kaioken
tell me, why is it easier to steal somebody elses icons than it is to use an icon file sent to you in 4.0 format? theres been NO effort to stop RSC extraction, and if you had to print screen then id be fine, its WAY harder to rip ONE entire icon and all its states, let alone an entire game.
In response to Masterdan
First its icons
Then its DMB extractors

why bother making a game anymore...
In response to Smoko
Smoko the fact that you are not worried at all about this matter shows you're not a pixel artist. People like me who work for days, Sometimes weeks and even months animating icons and other types of pixel art do not want our stuff to be easily ripped.
In response to Axerob
rofl, DMB extractors? Was that a joke or what? :P
In response to Masterdan
Nice little interface you got working there. I usually like to keep programs like that in their batch state.
In response to Masterdan
Mate, it'd be a waste of time to do that. Sure, less people will be able to crack it, but once they do the rest would just download their extractor.
And again you can easily use Dream Maker to extract icons and to circumvent that they'll need a magic way of knowing whether you're about to 'legitimately' access an icon or not.

Lastly it's easier than you think to grab graphics with screenshots... sure, not as easy with just your Print Screen key but there're programs that help a lot, such as taking a screenshot every millisecond or so like said previously. And you can have the screenshot cropped automatically by something to 32x32 afterwards, etc, etc.
It's not POSSIBLE to stop resources ripping. And it has been discussed before so why don't you guys read that topic instead of making a new one so it's turned down again. :\
In response to CaptFalcon33035
yeah rofl indeed.
I put my bet that it isn't actually a joke and he's simply uh.... not knowledgeable enough about DMBs.
In response to Kaioken
doesnt matter, its too easy right now to rip an ENTIRE games icons and states. NOBODY is concerned about print screen, because its a pain in the ass to do any damage with it. RSC files need to have some protection, there needs to be a way to protect iconers, look how some Byond-Terrorist just goes ahead and posts a link to every single icon on GOA, hes doing it to be a jerk not because hes going to use them. This type of thing is an insult to the great people who helped make those icons!
In response to Legendary Goku 10
Legendary Goku 10 wrote:
The fact that people can just log in and use extractors to get your RSC is rediculous. It kills the point of making an original game on byond. [...]

Doesn't look like you comprehend the point to do that in the first place. It isn't just so you can 'be original', basically it's more like that you have a decent game. Which

As a matter of fact byond pretty much promoted ripping with the new screenshot option in options and messages.

It isn't new. There was an option already ages ago, before 3.5. And again, its easy enough to take a screenshot without it.
In response to Legendary Goku 10
Most of the people on BYOND who have the knowledge to make a RSC extractor won't use it to rip and release your icons. I don't think this is too big a deal.
Page: 1 2 3