ID:1564812

Not a bug
BYOND Version:506
Operating System:Windows 8
Web Browser:Chrome 34.0.1847.131
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The same problem happened in this topic: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1129761

But the issue didn't seem to be resolved, it seem be resolved through updating to the most recent source but when I updated it didn't fix. In fact, I think from the second I got dream maker on this computer it wouldn't let me paste.

To explain the problem, I can copy text and actually have copyable text that can paste into other programs such as Notepad. I can use Copy-Paste in .dmi for icons, but I can not use Paste in Dream Maker coding as it just "cuts" instead of actually pasting anything.

I have reinstalled multiple times, still no help.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Simply can not paste within Dream Maker.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime.
In other games? Dreammaker issue.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? No.

When does the problem NOT occur?
It does not. It always occurs.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Not on this computer.
Working with latest Windows 8 and dreammaker here, works fine for me, so it isn't related to the OS.

Have you tried hitting the Insert key once before trying to paste the code?
Still nothing. The problem isn't too much that it erases things in text like when insert is selected but that literally pastes seems to just do what "cut" does.
If you have something selected...paste will delete it(then insert your text), otherwise it inserts the text where your cursor is blinking at...

"cut" is used to delete something from one location and paste it to another, so if that's text, it disappears from where it was when you use cut, and then you can paste it anywhere you want.

***Well all this should be obvious, but what's not obvious is what's not working...paste should obviously add the text from the clipboard...so what's not working? I can copy paste from web, notepad, another code file, and it all works.

I'm pretty sure DM uses a lot of windows-based controls anyways where windows handles all the necessary stuff for copy-pasting, along with other functions, so there should be no bug at all.
Only thing that springs to mind is that you may be running BYOND in a restricted mode and you're hitting some clipboard protections:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ aa983554%28v=vs.71%29.aspx#vbconadditionalsecurityconsiderat ionsinwindowsformsanchor1

Where did you install BYOND? Does your Windows user account have administrative rights? Does it work if you right-click dreammaker.exe and select "Run as administrator"?

I could also see an overly protective antivirus or some kind of clipboard manager interfering. Do you have anything like that installed? If so, can you try adding an exception for dreammaker.exe?
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
Only thing that springs to mind is that you may be running BYOND in a restricted mode and you're hitting some clipboard protections:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ aa983554%28v=vs.71%29.aspx#vbconadditionalsecurityconsiderat ionsinwindowsformsanchor1

Where did you install BYOND? Does your Windows user account have administrative rights? Does it work if you right-click dreammaker.exe and select "Run as administrator"?

I could also see an overly protective antivirus or some kind of clipboard manager interfering. Do you have anything like that installed? If so, can you try adding an exception for dreammaker.exe?

I have nothing to my knowledge that blocks clipboard managers but I can see this not being a DM problem, but I am able to copy-paste in every other applications. Running as administrator does not fix this issue either.

Along with that, I can do it in icon files it's really just Code Files that I can't do it in (which is weird, meaning DM is actually letting me copy.)

The words go on the clipboard and they actually paste if I were to put them into notepad. So if I copied text in DM code files and paste them into a notepad, I'd get it showing that it does go on the clipboard.

I just can't paste anything. If I highlight a bunch of words in DM to paste over it, it'll just erase said words and not paste the data (but it is actually on the clipboard.)
The other issue was basically caused by something interfering with the clipboard--we just never figured out what. There's apparently a known bug in Windows 7 and beyond that can cause text copied to the clipboard to copy as CF_UNICODE instead of CF_TEXT, which is what I think is happening here.

I wonder if a system locale is screwing that up somehow.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The other issue was basically caused by something interfering with the clipboard--we just never figured out what. There's apparently a known bug in Windows 7 and beyond that can cause text copied to the clipboard to copy as CF_UNICODE instead of CF_TEXT, which is what I think is happening here.

I wonder if a system locale is screwing that up somehow.

Does that mean there's not too much hope for a fix?

There's no way for me to really seem to recreate the bug. I'm assuming this doesn't happen for all Windows 7+ computers as we'd see this bug report probably a lot more often.

So it's a bug in itself with my OS/Specific Laptop?

I don't know as much about computers as I should, so I apologize for that in advance.
I would suggest getting a clipboard viewer program so you can see what's on the clipboard before and after a copy. That would help verify this, at any rate. I suspect there's a system issue causing this and it's either something that a program or the OS is doing by design, but is stupid, or it's a bug in Windows.

Depending on the cause, we might be able to come up with a workaround. But it'd be helpful to know more.

[edit]
Something possibly useful here: http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=29698
It's possible you have some security software screwing this up.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I would suggest getting a clipboard viewer program so you can see what's on the clipboard before and after a copy. That would help verify this, at any rate. I suspect there's a system issue causing this and it's either something that a program or the OS is doing by design, but is stupid, or it's a bug in Windows.

Depending on the cause, we might be able to come up with a workaround. But it'd be helpful to know more.

[edit]
Something possibly useful here: http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=29698
It's possible you have some security software screwing this up.

Wow, I feel stupid after reading this but I read through the topic and found out I also use Webroot and go figure, it was blocking Dreammaker from pasting.

Problem is resolved, I forgot I had Webroot Security as I never really use it.
Ah, excellent. It's a relief to know it's not something on our end or something that changed in Windows that only impacts certain people.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)