ID:1772892

My kindergarten class had monarch butterflies. When it was migration season and they were fully grown, they released them into the wild.

My third grade class had a betta fish. Everyone wanted to call him Charlie but me... I voted for the name Expo after the marker brand. So I now call him Charlie Expo. He died, though.

Then I kept bugging my parents about getting a dog, but they thought it would be too much work, so we got fish instead. The first ones were a dalmatian molly, a black molly and two male guppies (We never found out what gender any of the mollies were. I'll have to take a look at their fins in the photos we took of them someday...) We didn't do any research for some reason, so we didn't know we were mixing freshwater fish with brackish-water fish. So the guppies died (the black molly kept nipping one of the guppies' tails and I'm pretty sure the other guppy died of fright from being so scared of the molly) and we got two more black mollies. Then they died too, and we got a silver molly and a fantail goldfish... and they died too. I suspect it was because, as far as I can remember, I used to ask "can I give them a little extra food, just one piece?" and they would let me, so we probably overfed them by accident. My dad flushed them down he and my mom's toilet without my permission. I'm still offended by that, because there are a number of health risks for both the person and the fish involved when you flush a fish down the toilet, not to mention I was only in what, third grade? so I was really upset about it.

On vacation last year, I caught a grasshopper. She (at least, I'm pretty sure it was a she) was missing a leg and an antennae, so I decided to keep her. I named her Hopper. Apparently, the place we were staying in had a mouse. I think it was a deer mouse, because it ate half of the gourmet bone-shaped dog treats we were going to give our dog (we started planning on getting a dog last June). The mouse chewed a hole in her habitat (I used the butterfly habitat from kindergarten to house her... I think it was the same one the butterflies used to live in) and according to my dad my mom was out on the patio taking pictures, so Hopper got out. I couldn't find her on the patio the next morning, but I hope she didn't try to jump to the ground...

Then I caught another grasshopper. I named this one Rainforest Clover. She was bigger than Hopper, since she was an older nymph. I was actually closer to Rainforest than Hopper. I managed to teach her some tricks (well, it seemed like it anyway) such as jumping over my arm. I even saw her do a backflip once! Sometimes I took her to the clover field across the street so she could eat. She almost ate an entire clover once! Plus she was big enough that I could spot her and pick her up if she tried to run (or would it be jump?) off. But it only lasted half a week. I was going to take her home with me to see if grasshoppers could crossbreed (although now that I think about it, they might just fight instead so it was probably a bad idea anyway). But then on the day we were going home, I went to check on her (she lived in the same butterfly habitat) and she was dead. At first I thought she laid eggs in the bulldog head I sculpted out of clay dirt that I put in her habitat, since grasshoppers die when they lay eggs, but she was still a nymph, so I doubt it. Maybe she was sick or something. I buried her in grass and clovers, in her favorite clover field.

Later that month we adopted our beagle dog, Marley. She's tricolor. At least my parents did a little bit of research this time, but now they think they're dog behaviorists just because they read two books on beagles. They never believe me when I tell them a valid, proven fact about dog behavior, when I've been researching canines since 2011. Not that I'm an expert either (although I like to pretend I am), but I'm still pretty sure I know more than they do.

first of all, rip in piece Charlie Expo. gone but never forgotten 2015 #LoveAndRespect

i found a praying mantis before that had a broken arm i think. not sure how it got that way but he moved really slow. and since praying mantises have to grab onto their pray and hold it still while they gnaw at its head, im not sure how a praying mantis with a broken arm wouldve survived. so i killed it. rest in rip in pieces Random Praying Mantis With Broken Arm 2015 #TheBugLifeChoseMe

my dad caught a rabbit once. he brought it into the house and it died in his hands from what i assume was a heart attack. he put it in a grocery bag and threw it in the garbage. every time we see a rabbit, i always make sure to mention how the remaining rabbits in the neighborhood are plotting their revenge against him. im never letting him live this down. ripping rest peace in peppercorns hashtag RabbitMurderer 2015

there was a stray cat once that for some reason liked to sit in our back yard. i started feeding it vienna sausage. eventually my dad called the cat control dudes or whatever they're called and when they came, they shoved the cat into a cage, and the cat had a fit and ended up injuring itself trying to get out of it. its probably dead now unless it was adopted and had a good owner. we named him sylvester. #SylvesterThePuttyTat

i saw a snake once. it appeared to be harmless ( which im not sure how i came to that conclusion since i dont know a thing about snakes ) so i ran to my house to get a stick. got the stick and ran back to where the snake was and it was no longer there. i ended up seeing a picture of it online and it was indeed not an aggressive or venomous snake so my instincts were correct. in fact, now that i think about it, im usually correct about everything. it feels good being awesome all the time.

that concludes my animal adventures.
Current love of my life - and one of the key reasons why you didn't see me on BYOND lately - is my Poodle, Max. He will be 3 years old on February 1st. Out of all the dogs I've had in the past, and have been involved in training over the years (big supporter of the Cesar Milan methodology for about 10 years), Max is by far the most intelligent. Not surprising because Poodles tend to be in the top 3 of 'smartest dogs' depending on whose internet list you believe in.

He currently understands about 15-20 words and phrases, both spoken and sign-language, can recognize the difference between several toys, can respond yes/no with body language to a couple of questions like "do you want water?", runs daily with me anywhere from 5-10 km, and his current top speed is 32.4 km/h (20 mph).

Now he's coming out of his rebel teenager phase, into adulthood, and discovering the wonderful smells of girl dog's backsides. And he figured out on his own that he should wake me up when he's used his indoor toilet pad *before* the smell reaches me in my sleep. :D

Max goes pretty much everywhere with me (as much as possible), including far away places such as Norway in 2012, Croatia in 2013, Paris, France in 2014, and will probably go to Romania for Easter in 2015. Currently working on a modification to my recumbent touring trike/velomobile so that he can join me on a cycletour from Denmark to France in June.

And of course, on days of good weather he joins me on my cycletaxi in Copenhagen, Denmark:

A frequently up-to-date photo album of his life in pictures and video can be seen at: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103124336912395863201/ albums/5721283348924906321