ID:1996527

Resolved
BYOND Version:509
Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 47.0.2526.73
Applies to:Client and Uninstaller

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I was meaning to update BYOND to version 509 (I've been using 508) so I'd be ready for a big Space Station 13 update, and I was not impressed to see that 509 barely functioned. I was unable to open and games; the entire BYOND client, processes and all, locked up, in fact it locked up so hard that my computer thought the Dream Seeker process was still running when it clearly wasn't even in my Task Manager.

In my attempts to remove it, I was met with another unpleasant surprise: the [i]uninstaller[/i] was also broken, failing just like Dream Seeker in that my computer thought it was running without a process. My computer also treated the installer package as a potential threat, which hasn't happened with any previous BYOND versions. All attempts were tried with and without "Run as Administrator" used with the same results. I eventually had to run System Restore to purge 509 from my system and get 508 back.

I have a nagging suspicion that it has something to do with the DirectX install, if for no other reason than I can't think of anything else that would lock up the freaking [b]uninstaller[/b] [i]before it can even start[/i]. I'm probably wrong though.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Installed BYOND 509
2) Attempted to open a game and the client locked up
3) Attempted to uninstall Byond 509 and the uninstaller locked up before it even opened

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
N/A

Expected Results:
Playing silly spaceman games.

Actual Results:
Having to run a System Restore to purge the non-working BYOND client from my computer. I'm not even making this up, I can't give any further description when the client can't even do what it was made to do.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time, without fail.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When BYOND 509 isn't installed. Again, not making this up.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
508, the version right before 509, has not had this issue, and I don't think any previous versions of BYOND I've used have caused this either.

Workarounds:
None that I've seen, which is rather worrying because I haven't found any other cases of this happening.
This has been discussed on numerous threads. The problem is that Avast is malfunctioning and has registered a false positive. Make sure you add BYOND's programs to the exception list and report the false positive to Avast.
...Welp, I do in fact use Avast and have added dreamseeker.exe to its allow list, and now all is well again. I still don't understand why the uninstaller is having issues though.

Oh well, mark this as resolved then, please.
Please be sure to report the false positive.
Lummox JR resolved issue