ID:2104881

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
hey guys is it better to use a very large object like 7000x6000 or break it up in smaller turfs or obj. Also from what size and on do I have performance penalty from larger images.

More specifically my main map is a large image created with external software so I'm thinking to just add one turf or obj with the whole thing on or should I break it into smaller pieces and create a proc to add them dynamically with a double for loop or something???

Use the method that works for your needs until performance becomes an issue you cannot ignore. Wasting time pondering this or that won't produce a game that can be played.
Best response
7000x6000 is mondo ginormous. Definitely don't go there. You should split it up into more manageable chunks, preferably making them a multiple of your tile size.
Thanks guys well I'm at the point of compiling all the stuff together I mean everything is ready but the real difficulty is putting them all together without crashing something :D

So my idea is using the tiled map and making them 16x16 turfs added by a for loop or I can certainly cut them in 1600x1600 or 800x800 chunks and add them. But since I have no clue how byond works with large icons I would like to know which is best.

Also its a little off topic but how much graphics in terms of hard disc space can byond handle these days??
Knowing this before crashing will save me much time from trying to compress or delete stuff later.
Overall I will need Main Map around 40-50 mb, 10 levels around 30 mb total. Unit animations around 100 mb buildings about 10-20 mb and music around 60-80 mb.

Is this too much? I mean should I scale something down or cut something? Also I can play video through byond right like an opening vid??
Thanks for the help in advance guys :)
how the heck do you have a map with that file size
its not the dmm file its the dmi since I creating externally I have three 7000x6200 size and each is aroun 14-18 mb, I'll increase compression though if it crashes so far that map is a real problem it needs really long to load the graphics at compile time

edit: Also would it be better to split stuff up so the dmi files don't get too large??
In response to Victorqr
What the hell are you doing that requires a 7000x6200 image? I'm thinking you're creating a map by hand and using that instead of a .dmm file. In any case, you need to split that image into chunks. You can use Crop() to get them to certain sizes and then save those images, so you don't have to rely on taxing icon operations all the time.
im pretty sure less dmi files is better but more is better for organization
I had problems loading image files into Byond that had a resolution that high, they simply wouldn't be accepted. Had to lower mine down to about 2048x2048, so I know that resolution works at least imagewise.
I'll get them 800x800 and load them dynamically then also I'll try not exceeding 15 mb per dmi file.
I hope everything works in the end cause I'll have to sacrifice quality in order to make up for this...
good luck compiling sir
Thanks mate I hope everything works if it works I believe its gonna be cool as hell, but that could be just me since I've been coding it for 3 years and I cant wait to playtest it with the actual graphics instead of these bloody test squares :D
In response to Victorqr
Victorqr wrote:
I'll get them 800x800 and load them dynamically then also I'll try not exceeding 15 mb per dmi file.
I hope everything works in the end cause I'll have to sacrifice quality in order to make up for this...

Good gads, are you animating that? Because an animated image of around 7000x6000 just isn't going to work out. It's been tried before.
nope its not gonna be an animation just an image split in smaller ones so guys it still is taking a hell of a time to load so I'll try 160x160 which is 10 times my grid.

So yeah thankfully it compiles :) So if you have any tips or some good and useful icon/image manipulation procs feel free to share
Ok guys mission accomplished! Thanks for all your help now on to adding all the remaining stuff :)