That's a bit high. I think the current estimate is 3-4 billion years.

Of course, if you're asking about the end of human habitation, I'd have to say around 100 years. We're going to kill ourselves off very soon, methinks.

EDIT: Oops, I was wrong. Look towards the end of this
I agree, I don't think we'll last much longer. We're smart enough to make powerful weapons, and we're dumb enough to use them at the same time.
The world will probably end when the sun swallows it as it goes off the main sequence and into the red giant phase.

As I mentioned at the start of this comment thread. =p
Jp - I read "Look towards the end of this" and thought you meant the end of the world, and read the whole thing... yeah v_v I was looking for the point, and then I got to the end... but oh well, it was a nice read.
Heh. The education will do you good.

I really recommend that site for any sort of astronomical stuff you want to look up. It's http://www.nineplanets.org
Thanks. I've been going to http://www.nasa.gov/home/index.html?skipIntro=1 to look up stuff, but it really isn't that great. It's better use is to keep up to date with current space missions and what not.

edit: There are some pretty interesting things there, though.
Michael Imma kick ur ass bitch!!! I kno who u r!! tell hank for the heads up!!
A lot of natural disasters seem to be happening recently and it just keeps getting worse. Who knows how bad the world could get later on? I don't think the world will end in 2012 though it is very interesting. No one can predict anything like that, just as no one can prove the existence of a God. I really really doubt anyone of us will be alive when the world does end anyway.
Michael Imma kick ur ass bitch!!! I kno who u r!! tell hank for the heads up!!

"Michael, I'm going to kick your ass, bitch. I know who you are; tell Hank I said thanks for the heads up!" There, now doesn't that look a whole lot better?
I'm not saying anything about the end of the world, but rather the end of human civilization. It should be something extremely emabarassing to die by, simply because we act high-and-mighty.

An example of this embarassing appocalypse would be the world being overrun by hampsters and our crops and food sources being devastated. =P
Or even worse... illiterate DBZ-imitating hampsters.
I've been watching a lot of the history channel lately, and recently I saw a program talking about the end of the world v_v from what I got out of it, the world will end in 2012

Actually, Thats kind of Weird. March 12, 2012 is supposed to be the day that the world ends, so to speak. I watched this program about 5-6 years ago about this. This one person believes on the Very day ALL Man made things will go haywire and attack the humans and animals will become more aggressive and start attacks humans as well.

I fear that day. *Hides in corner* They'll never find me there!
A lot of people say mankind is going to end in 2012. Most of them are completely bonkers v_v scientologists are behind this.
A lot of people say mankind is going to end in 2012.

Just last year I had the chance to visit the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area, which is very close to some big Mayan ruins, so I ended up being exposed to a whole lot of Mayan lore. The Chichen Itza tour guide was especially knowledgeble about a wide range of traditions and metaphysical speculations -- I suspect there is probably some kind of "natural selection" involved, considering that some small percentage of tourists must be pushing for answers to questions about 2012 and so forth -- but whatever the cause, the tour guide made a great presentation.

At any rate, it's possible that the 2012 end of the Mayan calendar will indicate not the end of the world but the inception of the "Age of Aquarius" the hippies were so fond of promoting -- in which humanity emerges from the "Pisces" stage and become aware of the water it's been swimming in. Of course that would probably be nothing like what the hippies imagined, but what do you expect from hippies?!
-in which humanity emerges from the "Pisces" stage and become aware of the water it's been swimming in.

I'm sure we'll be aware of the water, once the polar icecaps melt. :) Well, that guy you mentioned doesn't sound completely bonkers. I'd love to take a trip like that, after schooling and all. Gathering different perspectives from around the world is a great way to gather knowledge, that regular schooling can't really provide as much.

Page: 1 2