This is awesome! The new stance looks like a stance of a super-hero or super-warrior. Really loving this.

I have one thing to say though, I think the colors are too contrasting, idk but most prefer low contrast. Also, the ears in rear-view of the head don't look like ears but blobs coming out of slime(not sure if this makes sense at all :| ).

About the right leg in South-View, it looks weirdly curved...

Well that's what I think, there might have been reasons for doing so as you are much better at anatomy and shit than me( I am a complete noob at anatomy)
 photo legfix_zpscdeaa12f.png

There was no reasons for it... i just wanted to be done with it and i didn't think anyone would notice.

haven't even started to animate it so im a bit behind on my art list :(
Tall bases are a no Kai. And I hope this is gonna be a single player game because it'll be weird seeing everyone in that same stance.
I like it bro. +1
and stuff just started Lols! The base looks nice btw, except it stands oddly to the side x_x with the head too. Also it doesn't seem as detailed as your older work.
In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:
and stuff just started Lols! The base looks nice btw, except it stands oddly to the side x_x with the head too. Also it doesn't seem as detailed as your older work.

Yeah and everyone standing oddly to the side would look so lame like they're getting ready to dance, which is why I said I hope it's a single-player.
I like the base it is nice. Hi Murowko, hi D-Cire.
Tall bases with original stances for the win.
In some cases, yeah. If used right then they can be good.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
In some cases, yeah. If used right then they can be good.

Using right as mean have it moving and looking good repeatedly, which most artist wont bother doing. You can picture the goodness of em' but no one is willing to make that picture come to life. It's 2013, graphics should be getting better for BYOND like everything else outside of it. People wanting to remain basic will get nowhere.

So instead we got these slim bases that all look the same completely, no matter what they wear or how they're drawn, they're looking down all the same. A smaller base this would seem different.

Good Example

I'm sure everyone would want to look like they joined a boy band.

What is this madness... how can you talk about 2013 graphics getting better when bases have been 32x32 forever on byond also my base is short compared to zanes 21x49 is the size of my base not really that tall. theres things you just can't do with a 32x32 base that you can do with a 64x64 base or a 48x48 base.

Thats only one idle stance... i plan on making a fat base, a old base and a female base that won't be used by players. each unique NPC will have a different stance and players might be able to choose personalities that determine what type of idle stance they have i haven't decided.
In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:
What is this madness... how can you talk about 2013 graphics getting better when bases have been 32x32 forever on byond also my base is short compared to zanes 21x49 is the size of my base not really that tall. theres things you just can't do with a 32x32 base that you can do with a 64x64 base or a 48x48 base.

Thats only one idle stance... i plan on making a fat base, a old base and a female base that won't be used by players. each unique NPC will have a different stance and players might be able to choose personalities that determine what type of idle stance they have i haven't decided.

Yeah whatver, sure you did Kai. Also a short base can look good, and detailed, and just because it's short doesn't mean it has to be 32x32.
I prefer tall bases to short scrunched up bases. Tall base over short any day.
I'll say this. When a game with a tall base averages 50 players a day and got the stats to prove it and has a nice place on the popularity list to prove it, let me know. Until that day, sit down.
I've always favored working with 32x32 bases because it's easier to work with, and can look pretty decent. Then again, bigger size can also work and look good. There's definitely more room for details and better animations. It's all about the artist's preferences. Most of the bases used in BYOND are 32x32 because most of the artists here don't have much experience and might be a little frightened to explore out of their comfort zone. And it was a lot harder to make games using anything bigger than 32x32 back in the days. But anyways, to stay on topic: The base looks good and the idle stance looks neat. I like the simple shading and the colors are great. Can't wait to see it animated. Good work Kai, keep it up.
This kind of thing is pretty much secondary to a consistent art-style, as part of ... yeah, as Yut said, a completed, playable game.

I can't claim to be the most artistically discerning person in the world, but when I'm playing a game, I pretty much don't care if the character "looks human" or the icons are XYZ size, unless it messes badly with my ability to tell what's going on in the game.
People can easily rush and make games, however if the art isn't good nor will the player base be. If you're making a game doesn't mean you have to make the player base human looking. But if you do intend to, you should do it right. If I wanted too I could fill up my hub with a bunch of games that obviously, has bad artwork and doesn't match my fantasy of how it should look in the state people will actually, enjoy it. But that'll just be a waste of space on the hub, people would play it for a bit and than get bored with it. I say this in a BYOND gamer's perspective and if I look at it in a BYOND gamer shoes I make my decisions wisely, while working on a game.

Pixel artist breaks their backs making these fancy bases but doesn't go all out in the process, because of this the game they're working on gets low amount of players and they feel like crap because they were expecting more, and this is when motivation dies. The pixel artist will then not enjoy making armor for his base with 30 icon states if his player base is only 10-20 people. And the game will eventually burn down and another pixel artist wasted their time.

Really good examples
Naruto Evolution by Crazy(Gives up on the game and gives it to someone else.)
Bleach by Vcentg(Rips have been hidden for awhile now, still cant average 50 players? Been here since 2005.)
Naruto New Dawn by Zane&Aselia(Since release it hasn't gotten anywhere, Zane's skills were wasted, and I'm afraid they're still being wasted. Did I mention this was also given up on? And given to someone else as-well. coincidence?)

I'd name some original games, if I could. Some are being made right now that'll fit on this list, perfectly.
Well the irony we have with BYOND is as a community, we don't actually put out many games these days, despite the number of thing seemedly in development.

So ideally, do whatever you gotta do to get something worthwhile out there. If that means agonising over the concept of a base icon for players and paperdolling, so be it. For quite a few games, you might just say "screw paperdolling completely", depends how you want it to work.

As Yut's stated though, it doesn't have to be the be all and end all of your game.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Well the irony we have with BYOND is as a community, we don't actually put out many games these days, despite the number of thing seemedly in development.

So ideally, do whatever you gotta do to get something worthwhile out there. If that means agonising over the concept of a base icon for players and paperdolling, so be it. For quite a few games, you might just say "screw paperdolling completely", depends how you want it to work.

As Yut's stated though, it doesn't have to be the be all and end all of your game.

Games I make I want to be played and enjoyed for a long time. I don't want to contribute by throwing a bunch of games on the hub that I know will die after a couple months.
In response to Murowko
NEStalgia surely didn't have super detailed icons. It went on for a long time, same with Space Station 13.

I'd be a lot happier to see games appearing with good gameplay and bad graphics than all the games with good graphics and no gameplay. I could at least call that progress.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8