ID:11632

Well fuck. Glad I dont live in the US.
The major thing about the internet is, nobody owns it. If IE and Firefox magicaly disappeared ? Wow big deal, just code your own browser, isnt too difficult. Then its your ISP, what, your ISP is going to be bitchy and scare away customers ? of course not ! They wont limit what you can look at. And then that leaves the final thing, the websites, unless everyone who hosts a website magicaly decide to change to a new system, that is totaly enforced with hardware changes to every single server in the world, its not going to change anything on how we actualy see websites.

No doubt I'm posting about something completely different, so if I make no sense, ignore me.

Edit: Even though China has a firewall stopping people accessing outside websites, its not actualy that hard to bypass. For those of you who complain about Google giving up and accepting Chinas rules, the only thing different is theres a new site that is faster, but does block some things out. You can still bypass the firewall and go on google.com, its exactly the same.
Wouldn't that mean someone like AOL could stop their users from using something such as MSN messenger?

And Acebloke, it's about the ISPs regulating how fast stuff downloads from where. Websites such as BYOND would have to pay a hefty sum of money to get it's users accessing it at above 56k speeds.

So basically, if net neutrality is lost, so is something like BYOND.
Acebloke, how would they be scaring away customers? Where are they going to go? The other ISP that's also filterring content?

What I don't understand is why ISPs need the governments approval to filter stuff. Perhaps its because these companies would otherwise be sued as a monopoly. (As Elation was sort of asking.)
I'd like to point out that Ctrl-Alt-Del is an absolutely terrible comic.

As for a discussion on the topic that isn't a cesspool of idiocy (see: Johan411), might I suggest this thread?