ID:186074

The Sony VP of Studios dismisses the handheld rivalry with Nintendo.
The PSP will launch in Europe next week, entering the handheld market against the Nintendo DS, which has already sold 1.3 million units. However, recent comments from Sony exec Phil Harrison dismiss the competition from the Big N, calling Nintendo's DS "a gimmick".

"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance," VP of studios Phil Harrison said in an interview with MCV. "Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth.

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen," Harrison continued. "But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

Take Harrison's comments as you will. The Sony PSP launches next week for the price of £179.99, backed by a £10 million dollar advertising campaign.

Sony is just pissed if you ask me. The Nintendo DS is selling better in Japan, and is Selling better in Amercia with the combined sales of the Gameboy Advanced

The Nintendo DS just isn't a gimmic. The fact is, the touch screen dosen't even have to be used for touch game play in the fist place, it only enhances gameplay.

Yeah, hes right about one thing, the Nintendo DS isn't as powerful as the Sony PSP. But the Nintendo DS is also $100 cheaper then the Sony PSP, has 4+ more extra hours of battery life, and the games are $10-$20 cheaper.

Not only that, the Nintendo DS is extremely durable. I have never put a scratch protector on my screens, and Ive had mine since last X-mas and I dont have a single scratch. I also dropped the core unit on the cement once and it didnt even phase the unit. Do you think you could have done that with the Sony PSP? HELL NO.

The fact is, Nintendo KNOWS what they are doing. They are the ones who pulled the game market out of a slump, they are the ones who designed a handheld game system, that have always defeated competetors, and Nintendo knows what they are doing.

The past has always proven, that handhelds before their time, no matter how powerful, have always died out. Look at the Gamegear, the Atari Lynx, the Neogeo Color Pocket, these systems were bascilly power houses compaired to the Gameboy and Gameboy color, but some how, the Nintendo Gameboy just kicked their asses.

A £10 million dollar advertising campaign? Go for it Sony, it won't help. The fact is Nintendo has spent less on advertsing for the Nintendo DS, and it is still doing better.

Its not about power, its about fun.
Isn't that the exact same thing as in your Blog? Why not just make a link?
In response to Popisfizzy
Why not? I know people don't always read blogs so I posted it here too. Get over it.
In response to Shades
I was just saying. If you want to waste forum space, be my guest.
Popisfizzy wrote:
I was just saying. If you want to waste forum space, be my guest.

I am not wasting forum space, as many people dont bother to even read the blogs, you complaing though, that is wasting space. I posted it in the right place, I haven't broken any community standards, so please, be quite, because I am not supposed to tell you shut up.
Haha, I laughed at that when I saw it on GameFAQs the other day.

He's says they are not competing with Nintendo and it would not be fair to them? Indirectly, possibly, they are competing with Nintendo and losing. Especially in Japan where the DS sells more than PS2 and PSP combined each week.

I'm sure he has not been looking at the sales chart lately, because each week I see a more than seven DS games on the charts in Japan, with PSP only breaking possibly one, and none at all in most cases.

Sony needs to get their head out of their ARSE and realize Nintendo is trouncing them in the handheld market and stop being arrogant because they have a lot of market share in the console market.

I see the console market making a HUGE change this next-generation, and I hope Sony is ready for it. Once again we might see the 3rd console curse. It happened to Nintendo, it can happen to Sony (and I hope it does)
In response to Makubezu
Nintendo has been in the handheld market 4 or 5 times longer than anyone else. They know how to beat anyone else, and they know how to make a good handheld that isn't completely up-to-date.
I heard a rumor that Nintendo is ALREADY making a new handheld thing, is this true?
In response to Flame Sage
The Gameboy Micro. It was finished by E3 and should be available by Christmas and is small enough to fit in a front shirt pocket. From what the coverage of E3 by G4 said, the screen is actually very good for its size.
Flame Sage wrote:
I heard a rumor that Nintendo is ALREADY making a new handheld thing, is this true?

Why wouldn't they be? DS is just a third pillar.

Gameboy, Gameboy Color, GBA, GBASP, Micro, Next Gameboy

DS, Revolution

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube

It is safe to assume that Nintendo is all ready researching on their next gameboy, but I wouldn't expect them say anything about it for a year or two.
Popisfizzy wrote:
The Gameboy Micro. It was finished by E3 and should be available by Christmas and is small enough to fit in a front shirt pocket. From what the coverage of E3 by G4 said, the screen is actually very good for its size.

I think he may have meant the successor to the Gameboy line, not just another version.
Popisfizzy wrote:
Nintendo has been in the handheld market 4 or 5 times longer than anyone else. They know how to beat anyone else, and they know how to make a good handheld that isn't completely up-to-date.

Yes, and this is why I do not see the point in Sony Reps. making comments like that. They should be studying what Nintendo does to make themselves dominate into the handheld market, not bash them when they barely have a name in it nor experience.
In response to Makubezu
Haven't heard about a successor. I do know that Nintendo had the GBA at its final stages long before they released it, becuase the GBColor was selling so well. They may be employing the same strategy here.
What sucks though, they release one console after another!
So basicly this MICRO is what?
Flame Sage wrote:
What sucks though, they release one console after another!
So basicly this MICRO is what?

Smaller version of a GBA or GBASP.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/645/645774p1.html
In response to Makubezu
So it can't play DS?
Can DS play GBA?
Flame Sage wrote:
So it can't play DS?
Can DS play GBA?

Micro is just another version of the GBA and GBASP, in no way is it similar to the DS in terms of technology so it only plays GBA games.

Yes, DS can play GBA games.
In response to Makubezu
So why buy a mini-GBA? I think it looks awsome, but the DS + GBA games all in one handheld?
Snazzy. =)

BTW: What shows up on the lower screen for GBA games?
Can you use the touch screen to play the game?
In response to Shades
eh i didnt get to read all of that but i would say that the Nintendo DS is just a prototype idea they had,maybe to make something fast to challenge the PSP for awhile who knows lol i think Nintendo's real handheld(New GB) was supposed to be the PSP killer but lokks like the DS is holding its own very well.
Truth be told, I'm not much into the handheld market. If I'm out of the house, chances are I have something more productive to do than play video games. Granted the power could go out or someone could be using all the other TVs and blah blah blah, but the fact still remains that I'm uninterested. And as long as the main hold of Final Fantasy is still with Sony, that's the system I'll have. I've never liked the fact that I couldn't find a fun RPG on the nintendo brand (discluding previous final fantasies)
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8