ID:187079

I went to re-install byond on my linux machine again since i changed distro's and now i'm getting this error.

knoppix@ttyp0[byond]$ make install
if [ ! -d /usr/local/byond ]; then mkdir /usr/local/byond; fi
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/byond': Read-only file system
make: *** [install] Error 1

Assistance?

~>Jiskuha
are you logged into the shell as root? you need to be root to do a 'make install' for all users on your system. if you are the only user, you can just do 'make here'.

to quote the makefile instructions (which you should see when just typing 'make'):

"There are two options for installing BYOND. You can install it for all users or you can install it for your own personal use. To install for all users, you must run this makefile as root. In that case, edit this makefile, configure the installation parameters to your liking, and run 'make install'.

To install for your personal use, simply put the 'byond' directory where you want to keep it and type 'make here'."

instructions are your friend! :D
In response to digitalmouse
Okay,That worked thanks Digi! Also,I've only used linux to host games from dreamdaemon. I want to log into dreamseeker,What is the command to do so? Is it the same as dreamdaemon?

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
Jiskuha wrote:
I want to log into dreamseeker,What is the command to do so? Is it the same as dreamdaemon?

as long as you've got everything installed right, just type 'DreamSeeker' at the prompt. then you will be asked or your keyname and password. after that you arre dropped into the client (text-mode only of course).