ID:259049

I am trying to learn pixel art, this is what my first attempt resulted with:

Tips and crits could really help, thanks :D
I changed the colors to make it look more like gold.

In response to Rotem12
looks like a yellow cup to me...
In response to MademanOne
I can't seen to find the right color for gold, how is that one?
In response to Rotem12
Using a reference might help.

Here's the first that came to my mind :P

http://thebacklinkchecker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ 1307508317-82.jpg
In response to Heyya46

Your second set of colors were the best. I just made a small edit to the shape, and added some highlights. It looked a bit bulky.
In response to Rotem12
LINK: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/goldcup.png/

Explanation: I used the second set of colors you used. I changed the shape slightly to make it look more like a sleek cup. I got rid of the jagged-lines, these tend to make the artwork look cluttered. The last thing I did was I added another light color. This light color is close to white and is in place for a nice shine look. I did some anti-aliasing as well.

Suggestions:

Anti-alias tutorial: http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=228
(I am no pro at this either, it is a cool skill to pick up on to make some of your artwork look a lot smoother.)
Color tutorial: http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=224
(This is a small example of how colors should be chosen. Honestly, pick colors that look good to your eye.)
MademanOne wrote:

OK when i said this i was talking about it just looks like a YELLOW CUP,nothing special....

TO MAKE SOMETHING SEEM LIKE STEEL/BRONZE/GOLD ect they need to have a shine.....

I am not a master but i know how to draw,been doing it since i was 7.Learn to study the objects you wanna draw pay atention to its dept,to how light and shade effects it,I know it might be hard to understand but here look at my example i changed the shape a bit,Akto has the idea,I changed the colors,i should have changed the base of cup as well to match with the rim(PS the rim of objects usually are main reflection areas so dont darken them with an outline) but im too lazy.Not a lot of color is needed to detail such a small object.I used 4colors +white(FYI white isnt considered a color just to let you know).If i were you i wouldn't give objects such a dark outline,i wouldn't but i gave it one little lighter since you have an outline.AA is a good technique to learn but i hate spending time doing it im a lazy artist.Become good at cheating and you never need to become good at anything else.-Bansky.

My two cents PeAce.
MademanOne wrote:
MademanOne wrote:

OK when i said this i was talking about it just looks like a YELLOW CUP,nothing special....

TO MAKE SOMETHING SEEM LIKE STEEL/BRONZE/GOLD ect they need to have a shine.....

I am not a master but i know how to draw,been doing it since i was 7.Learn to study the objects you wanna draw pay atention to its dept,to how light and shade effects it,I know it might be hard to understand but here look at my example i changed the shape a bit,Akto has the idea,I changed the colors,i should have changed the base of cup as well to match with the rim(PS the rim of objects usually are main reflection areas so dont darken them with an outline) but im too lazy.Not a lot of color is needed to detail such a small object.I used 4colors +white(FYI white isnt considered a color just to let you know).If i were you i wouldn't give objects such a dark outline,i wouldn't but i gave it one little lighter since you have an outline.AA is a good technique to learn but i hate spending time doing it im a lazy artist.Become good at cheating and you never need to become good at anything else.-Bansky.

My two cents PeAce.

Agreed to all this, so i made an edit of my own from the original. I agree with the rim also, but you can mix it up and do some interesting things with it.'

In response to Mesmerise
Thanks mez makes me feel warm comming from someone as taleted as you :D