ID:2905188

Not a bug
BYOND Version:515.1616, 514 stable, 515.1623
Operating System:Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 121.0.0.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
All panels made from splittable Child components (type=CHILD, using splitter) add an extraneous horizontal scrollbar on the bottom - this is likely due to some change in the latest version of Windows 11 Insider. Of note, the scrollbar *does* offset by a small margin, which suggests that the content within the scrollbar container is being made a little bigger than it should be, even if it's just empty space.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Cleared cache and reinstalled BYOND, including old versions (i.e, this is not a new BYOND problem, but rather a new OS issue) - made a testing project to find out if it was present beyond SS13, and found it happening in both the default BYOND interface as well as a simple homebrew test interface.

Expected Results:
Previous behaviour.

Actual Results:
Horizontal scrollbars blocking UI elements and being weird.
BYOND's default Verb panel showing the extra scrollbar.

Problem occurs:
Every time.
In all games.
On all accounts.
But *not* my Win10-based machines.

When does the problem NOT occur?
An extremely barebones interface made without using the child element shows no extraneous scrollbars.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? The problem STILL OCCURS using old versions.

Workarounds:
None yet found.
Additional note here: it's fine in the webclient, which suggests that this is probably an issue with whatever Windows widget renderer DreamSeeker uses.

A very green version of the commands interface looking fine in a browser.
If this is a Windows 11 issue it's probably not reproducible, but I'd need a test case.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
If this is a Windows 11 issue it's probably not reproducible, but I'd need a test case.

It is probably a Win11 issue, possibly an Insider-build issue, but test case is as simple as making a blank project in Dream Maker and running it- the standard byond.dmf shows the issue, even without a map or anything.

EDIT: just to demonstrate, even without a map the issue is still visible.
In any event this would be a Windows bug. If you're in the insiders program you should report it to them. The Child control effectively makes panes its children, leading to a nested structure of window -> Child -> pane -> controls.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
In any event this would be a Windows bug. If you're in the insiders program you should report it to them. The Child control effectively makes panes its children, leading to a nested structure of window -> Child -> pane -> controls.

So noted, I'll put in a bug report about it. Is there a specific system I should mention as possibly being responsible (e.g, VC++ redistributable updates, WinForms, etc) to help track it down?
It's MFC, so it's basically close to vanilla Win32 API.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
It's MFC, so it's basically close to vanilla Win32 API.

That's exactly what I needed, thank you! I'm gonna do some tinkering to see if I can't make a bare-bones test app that demonstrates the same bug, then throw the deets from that both into the report and back here.

(Also, this is a complete aside, but - thanks for all you've done working on BYOND & for keeping the lights on! <3)

EDIT: an addendum to this - while I've yet to get a 1-to-1 repro, the basic VS2013-era MFC nested-windows project shows similar behaviour - all sub-windows have extraneous horizontal *and* vertical scrollbars, and CSplitterWnd is in use in the project. If I had to guess, default behaviour for auto-hide in anything that can take WS_HSCROLL/WS_VSCROLL in dwStyle has probably been changed in either 26016.xxxx builds *or* in KB2565063 for the MSVC++ redistributable.
The sequel to this: the scrollbar bug has mysteriously vanished without BYOND updates but in the past Windows update or two. Problem solved, I suppose - this can be closed now!
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
Thanks for the update.