ID:2924344

The week started off pretty well, with most of the focus going into a 516 change that was on the list, and a little into some bug fixes for 515. But although it started strong, development took a nosedive, with extra emphasis on the nose, right at the halfway point. Spring allergies hit hard and hit early, and I've been kind of a mess since.

The big project for 516 so far was a breaking change to icon positioning, specifically one that will impact SIDE_MAP in particular. Going forward, icons are going to anchor themselves to the bottom left of their physical bounding box, instead of to the southwest of their physical position. bound_x/y have been deprecated, and new vars icon_w/z have been added. All of that will be explained later, but it's a big deal. I talked about some of this in my under-the-hood column last week. Most of this is in place now, except for testing isometric mode.

But, getting back to 515 bug work ran me into a brick wall, because a bug I was working on regarding render_source opened up a gigantic can of worms. I came up with a Band-Aid fix for the bug I was testing, but it brought to light that render_source really needs to change. I made a couple of really bad mistakes from the outset, and in 516 that'll call for another breaking change to fix it. More on that will be in today's early-access Patreon post.

Don't forget you can keep the lights on around here by becoming a BYOND Member, and unlike literally everything else the price hasn't gone up in a very very long time. You can also be a regular subscriber on Patreon or SubscribeStar. It all adds up and I'm thankful to all of you who've helped.

Next week, I'm hoping to be able to sustain normal breathing for a 24-hour period and sleep through the night. Oh, and I'll also be aiming to get a 515 release out early in the week, barring unforeseen pollen. See you on the other side, if I can open my eyes.

Login to reply.