ID:43992

Keywords: apple_fan_boy
All of the typical media outlets are talking about all of the reasons to buy one of the new iPhones - 3G, GPS, sleeker design, flush headphone jack etc, and all of these new features are great. However, it's a bit strange to me that no one is really focussed on the iPhone 3G's best new feature: the greatly improved battery life.

As a happy iPhone owner, the only major complaint I could wager about my current iPhone is the battery life. Talk/Standby time is fine, but I only get a couple hours of internet browsing over Edge, or a couple hours of watching videos. I make heavy use of my iPhone, which typically means that by the end of the day it's dying for a charge, but sometimes I go two days without having to worry about it.

Now this doesn't sound like too much of a hassle, except when you're on business trips as often as I am and you can only watch one movie on a four hour flight, or you have to conserve battery power by cutting down your web browsing time on long trips.

The good news: the new iPhone has at least double the battery life of the first generation iPhone... and over 3G to boot! Now we'll see if "real world" use brings these numbers down, but in my experience Apple is pretty conservative in their estimates.

All of that said, the battery life of my current phone isn't such a huge problem that I'm going to buy a 3G iPhone right away. I'm actually going to wait until a 32GB model comes out, which shouldn't be too far off considering the fact that they already have a 32GB iPod Touch.
The new improved iphone is nice but if i had a choice between the iphone and the Nokia N95 i'd choose the N95. Has everything the iphone has and more. Better value for money in my opinion.

Can't you take out your iphones battery or like send it in for an upgraded battery?
Can this one copy and paste?
I'll bet those battery numbers are extremely optimistic, under "ideal" operating conditions. It'll be interesting to see how real world usage compares.

Myself, I'm waiting for a 64 GB iPod touch. My music collection is already at or just above 32 GB, and I want room for extra apps/data. If AT&T ever offered a reasonable data-only plan, I'd even consider an iPhone (might be nice when out of range of wifi), but I sure as hell don't want to have to talk to anyone!
Nishiatsu wrote:
The new improved iphone is nice but if i had a choice between the iphone and the Nokia N95 i'd choose the N95. Has everything the iphone has and more. Better value for money in my opinion.

The N95 doesn't have a touch-screeeeeen. Whhoooooo.

Murrawhip wrote:
The N95 doesn't have a touch-screeeeeen. Whhoooooo.

People say this like touch screens are just trivial keypad substitutes designed to dazzle the masses into handing over their money. I'm not impressed by touch screens but I like the way the iPhone used the technology to create a really smooth interface.
To me it's on par with the difference between the mouse/keyboard setup of Windows and the keyboard only setup of DOS.

One thing I wish they'd hurry up with is pixel raising technology on touch screens. Something so that when the keyboard comes on screen the pixels displaying the keys rise up a mm or two and can be pressed down.
When it comes to typing speed, I can probably match just about anyone using a physical keyboard on a Blackberry while typing on my iPhone (that includes both the vertical and horizontal layouts). As far as the other features go... I'd be hard pressed to go back to a phone that didn't have a touch-screen interface.

To each his own!
But with a touch-screen, you totally couldn't use the phone while it's still in your pocket...
Or when you're driving, you'd have to look down more, yeah?
But can it copy and paste?