ID:94815

Whoever made this is a freaking pro.

Super Mario Crossover

You play through the original Super Mario Bros as one of several characters from popular NES franchises (Link, Samus, Mega Man, Simon Belmont, the character from Contra). Each character has the movement style and physics from their own games, and their own unique move set. Incredible attention to detail here, right down to specific music for each character for every type of stage.

THIS is how you make a fan game. Absolutely brilliant.
Can't say I have quite the love for 8-bit music that you do, and it chafes a bit that the different characters aren't all that balanced when put side-to-side. (Simon Belmont might as well be labeled "hard" mode when put next to most.)

That said, I will agree that a lot of effort went into a remarkably faithful recreation.
Geldonyetich wrote:
it chafes a bit that the different characters aren't all that balanced when put side-to-side.

If so, you're completely missing the point of the whole thing.
Oh wow, it even has the warp zone! Hahah
My only problem is the up key isn't used to jump.
The game lets you change the button mappings.
tenkuu wrote:
The game lets you change the button mappings.

In that case it's the best flash game ever.
Mario still the best to play with the other guys are just not meant to play in Marios's world
SilkWizard wrote:
Geldonyetich wrote:
it chafes a bit that the different characters aren't all that balanced when put side-to-side.

If so, you're completely missing the point of the whole thing.

You're going to have to put that into words for me. Montages shouldn't endeavor to be balanced?

Technically, this game doesn't completely go for absolute accuracy. The developer made a lot of judgment calls, for example how Megaman reacts when he jumps up and hits a destroyable block versus how Mario does. When the fire flower is gathered, often you'll end up with an effect that wasn't in the original game.
Heh, pretty cool.
Gives me a nostalgic feeling.
You can't run across gaps properly even with Mario. =(
That one guy with double jump is hard to play with. You can't move him in air per say, making trying to land on certain things hard as hell. Other characters are awesome though. Bill and Samus are extremely badass, I suck at Mario and made it to level 5 without ever being touched by them.
Fire Flower effects seem appropriate for each character.

Samus Aran (Metroid series)
Normal: basic suit, basic short range beam, Maru Mari (Morph Ball), Bomb
Super: Varia Suit, Long Beam
Fire: 'Justin Bailey' suit, Wave Beam

Link (Legend of Zelda series)
Normal: green suit, starter sword
Super: blue ring, white sword
Fire: red ring, master sword, sword blast

Simon Belmont (Castlevania series)
Normal: leather whip, one axe
Super: morningstar whip, two axes
Fire: flame whip, three axes

Mega Man (Mega Man series)
Normal: no helmet
Super: helmet, Mega Buster
Fire: Atomic Fire (chargeable)

Bill R. (Contra)
Normal: blue color, nothing
Super: Machine Gun
Fire: Spread Shot, red color (player 2)

Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
Normal: nothing, just short
Super: Super Mario
Fire: Fire Throw

Characters save their powerups from the last time you've used them, so you can build up a character to help you through a specific level if you care to.

The timer moves much faster than the original game, so you can't take your time like in the first Super Mario Bros. game.

If you force the screen to scroll fast enough, you'll see some slowdown of the game.

Music is mostly progress-appropriate for each character.

People on Newgrounds have complained that you can't run across gaps with Mario as you could in the source games, but I haven't had this issue. I think they were walking instead of running, or there was an older version of the game uploaded at one time.

Samus Aran without a suit was available if you beat the original Metroid and waited until after the credits were over, where it placed you at the start of the game again. The only change is visual. You don't take extra damage. It's sometimes called the Justin Bailey suit because of a password that just happens to spell out that name, purely by chance.
JUSTIN BAILEY
------ ------
You can use - or spaces, the game treats them the same.

I think the starman powerup should have made Samus perform a screw attack when spinning in the air, so I'll call that something the author overlooked.

Mega Man without a helmet was hinted at in the title art and opening story sequence for Mega Man IV, but was not playable until much later. It was usable with a cheat code in Mega Man Collection in japan, and available in Mega Man 10 via secret or via the in-game shop.

The ability for Mega Man to combine enemy weapons with the Mega Buster didn't appear until Mega Man X by release date, or Mega Man 9 (I think) in-series chronology. The Mega Buster itself appeared only in Mega Man IV, with the slide ability appearing in III.

It's in Flash, so you can use a memory editor to change all sorts of stuff if you like. Just point your editor at your web browser (I like ArtMoney), and do the GameShark Pro thing like the old days.

Overall, I loved my 2 hours on this game.
http://www.explodingrabbit.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdr95SSgm2g

Update - Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden is joining!