ID:100674

Redundant
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
Remove the systems that limit pager functionality to BYOND members only.
I'd also like to see the pager as an interface control, like it used to be, but that's a whole different issue.

Instead, offer these pager bonuses for BYOND Members:
Custom font colors/font faces for pager messages.
Emoticons, possibly even custom ones like MSN.
Members can create chat rooms/channels.
File transfers across the pager.

These could also work, though they would still break what I'm trying to setup:
Only members can send pages to multiple recipients.
Only members can invite to join games through the pager.
I like your pager feature suggestions and I support them.

But I do disagree with removing the 'limited pager functionality'. Correct me if I am wrong, but receiving the ability to page anyone you wish is one of the incentives in buying a BYOND membership. Sure, you could add the features you are requesting, but a person could easily send someone a link, so file transfer is not necessarily a need. Emotion icons are not an incentive. I doubt too many people would jump at the opportunity to create their own interface; people barely spend time on their own game's interface. Your pager bonuses are small perks, none of them are incentives.

Overall, implement these features you are requesting to the current system we have in place. If a non-member was in dire need to access any of these features, they can fork up the $18.00 or search for someone who can.
The main reason I got my BYOND membership was to have an icon on the forums. People in my games often get them to customize their OOC colors and/or to use custom icons. You'd be surprised how much the stupid visual stuff is worth. These kind of things also draw attention, making the non members want them, and ask how to get them. I doubt the current lack of chat does this in the least.
Not allowing basic chat through the pager is more of a punishment for non members, than a bonus for members.
Sending a link to someone is a hassle. You have to find somewhere, upload the file, then have them download it. Not to mention how unsafe most of the common file sharing sites are. It would be a convenience provided for being a member - the exact kind of thing that should be offered.
Falacy wrote:
The main reason I got my BYOND membership was to have an icon on the forums.

Of course we must take into consideration that there could be a thousand members and each one of them retain a different motive.

People in my games often get them to customize their OOC colors or use custom icons. You'd be surprised how much the stupid visual stuff is worth. These kind of things also draw attention, making the non members want them, and ask how to get them. I doubt the current lack of chat does this in the least.

I am not saying customization will not attract a few, I just highly doubt it will be as big of an incentive as being able to freely page anyone.

Not allowing basic chat through the pager is more of a punishment for non members, than a real bonus for members.

How is it a punishment? The BYOND staff created memberships and needed to come up with several incentives for buying one. So what is the best thing to do? Remove one of the more popular features and proving it only to those who pay. There are people who believe a BYOND membership is not worth the $18.00, so instead of removing perks, let's add more as an enticement.

I honestly believe that by allowing all people to chat, you will see decline in the amount of memberships sold. I still stand by my belief that the majority of the BYOND members decided to pay $18.00 for two reasons: To freely page anyone they wish and to have their blog appear on the front page. Of course, I could be wrong.
Excellent idea
I agree with Falacy...If you add more things for Members, and not cut off old things for Non-Members, I believe that more people will fork out the money...

Personally I would love the file transfers across the pager idea...I dont believe BYOND would have a problem with stress because of that, but maybe limit the file size/types to smallish/BYOND File types (Icon/Map/Programming files)
I'd like to see some style of Byond programmers and Byond Pixel Artists IM style group chat thingy majingy...sort of like Chat by PR_Man.

If there were more benefits to becoming a Byond member, I'd definitely become one. But right now, I feel that all I would purchase a membership for would be to create popularity about games I released. The rest of the stuff just doesn't feel as important. Although I would obviously take advantage of what I got, right now it just doesn't seem worth it forking over the 18$ if you have no games released, and I am wondering if other programmers which are non-members feel the same way.

What about game popularity for BYOND members? Are you just talking about the rank boost provided for posting screen shots on your hub?
Ter13 resolved issue (Redundant)

The pager is no longer limited to members.