Butts.
I really like customization in a game because it lets the player take control. Your giving them the ability to "Have it their way". This kinda gives them the feeling that they are in charge. Ps3 games like Skyrim have several races, looks and not to mention skills to improve upon; so its not surprising that they did much better than their previous game "Oblivion". Take games like saints row Third Street, to me its just limitless. Sure gameplay and graphics are important but we must also not forget about customization/creativity.
In response to Kaien007
this+ a good owner
I would rather have decent gameplay than better graphics, because the game should be playable to an extent, yes? That and I am pretty used to things such as Roguelikes with ASCII graphics so graphics aren't always appealing to me. That doesn't mean I won't like games with nice graphics, either but they have to have a decent balance in some sense.

People just usually prefer graphics, but really it does seem kind of silly just to like a game just for its graphics, but if it has crappy gameplay and you're not having fun- then why are you playing it in the first place?

I used to be one of those people who just wanted to play games with just good graphics alone and couldn't see why people played games with worse graphics, but then I tried Roguelikes and changed my opinion about graphics now.
First impression? Graphics. After that it's the gameplay that further attracts me into the game. Furthermore, the community is a significant factor that decides whether I should remain playing.
In response to Kaien007
Kaien007 wrote:
Ps3 games like Skyrim have several races, looks and not to mention skills to improve upon; so its not surprising that they did much better than their previous game "Oblivion".

Im pretty sure(And I was just playing Oblivion yesterday), that Oblivion has all those things as well. Pretty much all the same exact races, Can alter looks, and you have a larger pool of skills to improve. In personal opinion Skyrim did better than Oblivion due to the way they tied the gameplay together to where it wasn't dependent on skill improvements. Meanwhile Oblivion(For the most part of what I recall playing) was a more of; 'If you don't have the skill leveled to the needed amount, you'll fail every time'. While Skyrim allows you to succeed without the required skill level, just made it extremely difficult to do so. Skyrim's gameplay is less tied directly to skills, and levels; and instead revolves around making them more like bonus features. That's why it was so much more successful. That's just my personal opinion though.

In terms of games, like many others said: Graphics/Unique systems draw me in(to checking out the game), Gameplay makes me play the game, community keeps me around.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Butts.

Lolz
Page: 1 2