ID:1360938

I'm a bit behind on information. But, what's the status on making games run through web browsers via flash or whatever? I'd like to try it out with a new project I'm thinking of working on in my free time while I wait to progress my current game.
Xirre wrote:
I'm a bit behind on information. But, what's the status on making games run through web browsers via flash or whatever? I'd like to try it out with a new project I'm thinking of working on in my free time while I wait to progress my current game.

I think there were no updates on it; I read somewhere that they were gonna sell the keys for $100~$200 so you could have the chance of using flash client, but I'm not sure about it anymore because they didn't decide anything.
Darn.. I was going to replicate an old game I used to play and make it more 2D based and have directional movements instead of clicking. Wanted it to go on the web to be played! Free 100% too lol.
In response to Xirre
Well, I haven't seen NEStalgia nor Space Station 13 receiving more players since Flash was announced :S So I don't know if you're even allowed to put them on a web like if it was a common flash game.
Space Station 13 is only popular because of the multiple servers. And I think with this you'd need to have a Linux-based server as well. Majority of the people on BYOND are running their servers on Windows.
The Flash client isn't released yet, so I'm not sure why NEStalgia or SS13 would be getting more players? Unless you're mixing it up with BYONDexe? As for the Flash client, I think Lummox JR or Tom mentioned somewhere that sound was giving them issues.

The Flash client business model is still up in the air, last I heard. If I recall correctly, the potential license fee EM mentioned was to remove the ads for your players. If you're okay with an ad similar to what the pager displays now, the license will probably be free, a member perk, or at least relatively cheap. But it's undecided as far as we know.

Also, the Flash client would presumably work with both Linux and Windows servers.
SS13 wont support flash anyways, at least without modifications due to interfaces, I dont even think the flash client supports the right side output panel
SS13 already has majority of its features hud-based, it wouldn't require much effort to switch to full hud-based (client.screen) along with the output.

But in regards in answering the question, maybe perhaps you can play with CGI module? I'm not quite sure if you're able to execute games on browsers yet. But I have seen someone on the forums lately doing so.
As far as I know the flash client wont even support the output panel, so SS13 is fully out of the picture
In response to Tobba
Last I had heard, it will support a map, a default output, and a default input (at first).

Last posted Flash demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW2owL0EEOU
Unless there's a surprise announcement by Tom, I wouldn't expect the Flash client to come out anytime soon. It would be really sweet though, and no matter what it does or doesn't support, SS13 (and other games) will fall into line pretty quick.