ID:2104634

Hello Readers! CBS's Person of Interest came to an excellent series ending yesterday (Not the ending I had forecasted, but so much less cheesy). The series has me reflective on just how much more prevalent social media, cameras, IoT, autonomous technologies, and privacy concerns are today, even from five years ago when the fictional show started. I'm sad to see the series end, but I suppose it is either that or space witches and bunnies.

Speaking of social media, its once again time to do a shout out to BYOND's external presence. The BYOND Facebook page milestoned at 3000 likes a few days ago. Reddit gets at least two posts a month, although the same can't be said for r/dreammakers. Then there is the IRC and Skype Channels for more dynamic chatting.

BYOND

Lummox JR has been dancing with joysticks and animations (albeit not at weddings) in his most recent devlogs for the BYOND suite. For version 511, Game pad mapping macros are in, so are parallel animations, which allows developers to run multiple sets of animate() on the same atom. A few updates were made to the stable version, improving Webclient functionality, along with other bug fixes.

BYOND Games

Azusa: Battle of Gods has been on the fast track to version 4.6. The movement system has been revamped to better handle slow and fast movement changes, and a handful of new skills and equipment were added to take advantage of this new battle aspect. Tournaments and role-playing rewards have been revamped, and a crowd funding campaign was kicked up, among much more.

Skills are front and center in Land of Fire, and Wards have learned how to control the earth around them to create walls, domes, minions, and more. Giving the Wards power over earth, electricity, and fire means that the LoF team can move onto the next player class, Rogues. Unlike Wards who attack from afar, Rogues use stealth and weapons to deal with their enemies up close, rapidly, and swiftly. Their skills involve dashing, creating ground hazards, and attacking very quickly.

Nadrew has been working on the Luna update for My Life as a Spy over the past few weeks, and gave a tune up to the current Apollo edition. The stability and webclient improvements from version 510 have been included in the latest Apollo, and so have the new settings configurations. Screenshots from the dynamic lighting in Luna were shared, and text handling and medals were overhauled as well.

A large overhaul of how character progression is managed is behind the massive update log for Sigrogana Legend 2. Players now specify which stats they would like to grow, and stat points are gained though leveling. Full details on what each stat affects is included with the log. To accommodate the other changes in the Great Reckoning update, weapons and armors have been updated as well. Then there's new interfaces, monster changes, tons of adjustments, and a whole lot more.

Kozuma3 held a poll seeking out what players of the RPG game Elora 2 are interested in. Guilds are currently the top pick. A store was added to the version available for download on the hub, where everything is currently 50 gold while Kozuma3 works on the game.

Taint_thewizard began working on a new top-down zombie shooter called Zombia. Players try to shoot down the enemies while keeping their distance in order to help restore the human population of Olympia and eliminate the plague. Single player files are available for the alpha game, but fair warning: Keep away from the zombies, or the world will end (literally).

Somepotato has been working on a scripting language (dubbed Lua? See Doohl's comment for more information) that can be used dynamically within Space Station 13. I'm not sure what the intended purpose is, but it looks cool at any rate!

Bravo1 has been exploring new sections of the Facility in Lux, and here is what he has found. A vision adjustment has allowed the Facility to be viewed with much deeper detail. The Florahk boss now has two minions. A light trail is left where the rover has been, and a new bomb spamming enemy was discovered.

BYOND Resources

• Ter13 has been taking time out of his busy summer schedule to dump all of his knowledge on movement. There is currently plenty of information to dig though, and 3 more sets to come.
Lua is an embeddable programming language. Typically, games designate some of their nonessential logic to user-editable Lua code (ie, for use in modding).
another impressive week again
I always enjoy reading these. I miss seeing anything of mine included, but I will climb my way back in someday. For now... I work in the shadows, slowly but surely preparing my next big BYOND accomplishment. It seems a few developers around here are right, progress can be easier to achieve if you limit who knows about it until the times right.
In response to Toddab503
yes your last sentence is true but only if the game gets finished eventually
Not actually keeping the light trail (I left on the testing trail I was checking out).

I might keep it, but if I do it'll be on the rover's eye, so that it leaves a glowing red streak.

Good post though. I always enjoy these =)
BYOND has an IRC?! Oh tits, that's cool.
LUA that can be used dynamically within byond. Now there's a high point in the news.

By the way. I ran across my old notes for a game I was going to work on during 2010-2011. That's during the year the EF5 tornado torn through my state, and I was near ground zero (it was depressing to see people crying because their family is gone or seeing some soaked in blood head to toe). I couldn't do much for the project then from trying to learn byond and working to help the community. A year I never forget.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Zephyre_Syx/ JournalJunk/P020613_1058.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Zephyre_Syx/ JournalJunk/P020613_105701.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Zephyre_Syx/ JournalJunk/P020613_105601.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Zephyre_Syx/ JournalJunk/P020613_1057.jpg

Maybe I'll upload those notes to show in the forums.
In response to ZephyreSyx
i dont mean to be rude and i feel bad for the people but its best if you post game related news here rather than the those pics
..that's too easy to get baited off topic. ^

This two year project had to be shelved because of circumstances in which I have no say so in the matter which had been a nail in the coffin, only for that point in the period. It's one of the games that I was going to implement in-game benefits for those that can provide a red cross receipt for helping the victims of the tornado. This came from further research on how other developers came to a solution to help curtain cause. Some by implementing the mechanic directly or through external sources. This also was going to have a contest ran with a first prize of a brand new laptop (which I brought with my own $$ just for it) while the game gets commentated on youtube or stream, as with Starcraft and League of Legends at the time. Even fun raiser was considered.

The game can be described as a world wide persistent sci-fi survival game, part PvE, part PvP, with a game show tone much to "gamer", "running man", or "hunger games". You control a group of mercenaries which can be 4 different species which works dynamically different from one another (tech, fighter, builder, defender). And your goal is to last on one of the hand-crafted planets as long as possible before it is consumed by the world eaters, the necro legions (which is inevitable). Commentating through it works by going to each player base to talk about their situation while also searching for high points in the action out in the field, which the game hopefully prompts the spectator by it. It should also provide an easy drop-in and drop-out option for players as well, provided they pick a team or go solo. Unique weapons can be found in-game as well which have it's own theme music and a unique hub, which I thought is a nice touch.

I'll delve deeper in my notes with simulated screenshots. Only because the game itself may benefit byond itself, and also if it should be revived or not. I dug this out the trunk while trying to find hardware for my pc. I will try to work on it if I get support for it, but what had happen while trying to bring it to life, I lack the trust for completion because of unseeable circumstances. With disappointment, it's why it was in there in the first place. I do have some old concept art already online, but the wikia that I was putting notes on didn't survive after 5 years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Zephyre_Syx/ JournalJunk/OR_Wolfgang-Mage1.jpg
Wargs are the largest race in the game. They are made for defence which can help others by tanking damage. They lack tech so some of them uses shaman powers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Zephyre_Syx/ JournalJunk/OR_CharacterDesign.jpg
These are a few others. Humans are called 'Roaches'. They specialized in tech and can build turrets and can mod weapons to compensate for they're lack of defense. The worm like creatures are called 'moles', and they specialize in building (by laying eggs as their construction resource). And there's another version of the warg with a hammer.
These are drawn traditionally because I have yet any access to digital tablets to draw directly on. Now I have a linux tablet pc running krita.

Everything was so damn close to being ready to be set in motion, even testing out how the game works with 64x64 grid. Except others have plans for my time and money. This event was actually a sabotage as I found out later which I won't get into. This on top that I can not test the game on my own directly because of satellite connections (don't want to sound like a broken record, and I can't just move to a better spot, mind you).