ID:2242049

Resolved
Performance was subpar for cases where many KEEP_TOGETHER sprites were on screen at the same time, and maptext that did not necessarily need the implied KEEP_TOGETHER (e.g. no transforms or non-solid color applied) used it anyway. Several modifications have been made to improve performance across the board.
BYOND Version:511
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 57.0.2987.133
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
There has been a very noticable performance drop in the recent BYOND versions. I sadly can't tell when exactly it started to happen as it was always very minor and I thought it was due to certain limitations. It sadly seems to have appeared a lot more and especially when multiple mobs were standing/moving in the same view. I've found out that having multiple objects with maptext added to the overlays are the cause. Or even multiple mobs with maptext in their overlays will slow down game aswell.

In this attached demo, there are 2 verbs showing either multiple mobs with maptext slowing down the game. Or a few objects added to player's overlays (with maptext)

LINK TO SOURCE: http://files.byondhome.com/Kidpaddle45/TESTTT_src.zip
MORE INFO: I've heard that the lag is much more noticeable for people with AMD graphic cards (which is my case)

Not sure if people with different cards will notice this REALLY bad performance drop.
I'll give it a shot. I have an AMD card myself.
I can confirm that it causes lag, in my case i get short freezes too, with an Nvidia card nonetheless.
I couldn't even move in that demo. Definitely something going on.

Edit: I think it's maptext alone; I just modified the demo to only set maptext once and not use overlays at all. Performance was better but there was still a noticeable slowdown.

This is actually consistent with an issue I reported a while back when I noticed my "damage info" maptext would slow the game down considerably if as little as three objects were created around the same time. I don't think any progress was ever made there which led me to scrap that concept entirely.

Edit: Found the topic here.
Adding in to the that, while maptext is the cause of the massive lag, I actually edited my topic and source to include overlays because for some reasons on a server I noticed some performance drop when playing around with overlays and layering (obv not as horrible as with maptext-but still something to look at!)

Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Performance was subpar for cases where many KEEP_TOGETHER sprites were on screen at the same time, and maptext that did not necessarily need the implied KEEP_TOGETHER (e.g. no transforms or non-solid color applied) used it anyway. Several modifications have been made to improve performance across the board.
BUMP!

It seems you may have made things a little better but I can still confirm some performance drop with maptext.
Using maptext for damage numbers that appear above a player and spamming it can create fairly noticable slowdowns.

Something is still not right with maptext x.x
I'll keep looking into this. If you have a new test case that shows this in action it would be helpful.
Do you have anything I can work with, Kidpaddle?
Hmmmm I'll try and get a small demo project for you!
KP, anything yet? I saw I had a file from June 17 that may have come from you (and if so I overlooked it) called skirmish, but I just deleted it from my system because it's just a .dmb and .rsc and that's totally useless to me. Do you have a test project?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
KP, anything yet? I saw I had a file from June 17 that may have come from you (and if so I overlooked it) called skirmish, but I just deleted it from my system because it's just a .dmb and .rsc and that's totally useless to me. Do you have a test project?

that was probably one of the feed builds i sent you to try once upon a time. (^8