ID:293429

BYOND Build Number: 432.1009
Operating System: Windows XP
Video/Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 7000M/ nForce 610M
Game Hub/Link: Any at all.
Internet Connection Type: Cable
Firewalls/Routers: RCA Router, no firewall.

Problem Description: When I log in to my Byond pager there are only two tabs, home and control panel. I can still join games, however, I join as a guest, as the bottom of the pager says "Logged into Terracell: Offline". Occasionally it says that Connection with the hub failed, or something, in red letters across the pager. 432.1007 works perfectly fine, however, I can't use that to join the game I play.

Steps to Reproduce Problem: I've cleared my cach, reinstalled the program several times (deleting the Byond folder a few times), and discovered that the older version still works perfectly fine. My firewall is off, so it shouldn't be blocked.
Since you say that your old version works perfectly fine, which one is that (I assume 3.55?) and did you check the advanced preference settings on the working version of BYOND?
Maybe you have a port or hub address set?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
I guess I should have clarified. I didn't mean the old version, I meant the 432.0007 version, which is older then the new update the 432.0009 version.

I just checked the advanced preference settings on the working version (.0007) with that of the new one I need to download (.0009). The port is 0 on both of them, and neither of them have a hub address.

Thank you for your helping, by the way. ^_^
In response to TerraCell
TerraCell wrote:
I meant the 432.0007 version, which is older then the new update the 432.0009 version.

Uh, I guess you meant 432.1007 and 433.1009, just to make sure.

TerraCell wrote:
I just checked the advanced preference settings on the working version (.0007) with that of the new one I need to download (.0009). The port is 0 on both of them, and neither of them have a hub address.

You're sure that you do not have any sort of firewall running (something like Norton Internet Security, or alike)?

TerraCell wrote:
Thank you for your helping, by the way. ^_^

You're welcome, I hope that I can help ;)
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Yeah, my bad. I meant the 433.1009. x.x

I just disabled my Norton, to make sure. My firewall is disabled. I think it's being blocked somehow, because it says it's Offline, but ALL my computers security is disabled.
In response to TerraCell
Hmm, tricky issue.
Please try to follow these instructions and make sure that you do not log in on the 432.007 build after you renamed the cfg folder, before you log on 433.1009 build.
In response to TerraCell
TerraCell wrote:
I just disabled my Norton, to make sure. My firewall is disabled. I think it's being blocked somehow, because it says it's Offline, but ALL my computers security is disabled.

When one version of a program can connect to the Internet and another can't, it's usually a firewall problem. Most firewalls now are set up to check a program against a known hash so they can see if a virus has replaced it--in practice this feature just ends up confusing people. Nothing else I'm aware of would do this kind of thing, though. I know you've checked this so forgive me if it sounds like I'm covering the same ground you've already been over, but I suspect the issue is in fact a firewall. You may have more than one firewall program running, including possibly the built-in Windows firewall.

I recommend you look at all the processes running on your system to find out if you have anything else running that might be involved here. Also you should check to be sure Norton is in fact fully disabled (from my experience it's hard to tell), and check Windows' firewall settings. Beyond that, for firewalls that say they're disabled, look and see if any of the BYOND programs (byond.exe, dreamseeker.exe, dreamdaemon.exe) are listed as exceptions to the rules, and if so turn off any feature that checks a hash (you may see something like "Verify with MD5 hash" or such). If suddenly things start working, it'll indicate that firewall wasn't fully disabled.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Thank you both very much.

It turned out I have two firewalls on my computer. I disabled Norton and Windows firewall, but then, with your help, I found ANOTHER Firewall. Damn, apparently my computer is built like Aushwitz.

Ignore the lame joke.

Thank you both for your time and help.
In response to TerraCell
For future reference and my own curiousity, does the RCA router have anything built into it? Most routers have firewalls as well. So you may be behind 4 firewalls instead of 3 like you thought.