ID:48257

Keywords: diversions

HT: Ann Althouse...
Wow. I'm surprised Lileks didn't get to that one before Althouse did.

I love the implication that over-smoking Marlboros is somehow okay. That's like a brand of rich chocolate cookies promising they won't make you sick if you eat a bag in one sitting; I'd be surprised if cookie manufacturers aren't working on that problem already. Of course, to complete the metaphor they'd be radioactive cookies that taste like ashtrays. So you know, Snackwells.
They should have the babies smoking and text explaining how it is a great parent child activity.
Clears out those baby lungs!
For the truly refined smokeur, I recommend Nat Sherman's. I pick up a pack of MCD's every month or two.

Also, I'll see your babies, and raise you a Fred and Barney!

http://www.youtube.com/ results?search_query=flintstones+winston+commercial&search_t ype=&aq=0&oq=flintstones+winston

Of course to fit in the Bedrock universe, they should have been called "Winstone."
Rats, just clicked the Althouse link and I see the commenters beat me to the Winston ads.

On a semi-related subject, it might be worth your while to use your Netflix powers to watch Season 1 of Mad Men. As prime-time soaps go, it's very entertaining, though not nearly as funny as Deadwood. I've been planning to write a book about 1960's ad men since I was in college. It's probably hard for younguns to understand how iconic the Madison Avenue ad executives were in that era -- MAD magazine contributed heavily to that, I think -- but now I don't need to bother!
Gughunter wrote:
On a semi-related subject, it might be worth your while to use your Netflix powers to watch Season 1 of Mad Men.

All over that! My partner is obsessed with the series.

As someone who has more in common with Donald Draper than you might imagine (though he's missing my looks and sex appeal), I find it intriguing...
Gughunter wrote:
Also, I'll see your babies, and raise you a Fred and Barney!

I wish the cartoons I grew up with sold that sort of stuff instead of just toys, toys, toys.

Optimus Prime: You'll never defeat us Megatron! Not as long as we've got the smooth Kentucky taste of Jim Beam bourbon on our side!

Jazz: Optimus, come quick, the dino bots are going berserk!
Optimus Prime: Run down to your local corner store or grocery outlet and pick up some Marlboro brand cigarettes!
Jazz: But why Marlboro, Optimus? Starscream told me that all cigarettes are the same, and this generic brand is cheaper.
Optimus Prime: Ha. Ha. Ha. Another Decepticon trick. You see Jazz, only Marlboro brand cigarette contains 50% more nicotine than the competition, which gives it that smooth flavor that others don't.
*Hands out cigarettes*
Grimlock: Grimlock love flavor! Grimlock love Marlboros!
Starscream: Noooooooooo!
Everybody: Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.
Optimus Prime: You'll never defeat us Megatron! Not as long as we've got the smooth Kentucky taste of Jim Beam bourbon on our side!

That truly made me laugh out loud!
Gughunter wrote:
That truly made me laugh out loud!

Man, now we need a symbol that means "lol -- no really, out loud!"

lolnrol

lol'n'rol.

Kind of like duck and cover except with less horrific cultural overtones (though net speak is arguably scarier than nuclear war).